Dave Mckay Testimonial match against DUNDEE Friday 6th Oct.

I have been asked by the testimonial committee to post this  message..

DERBY DATE FOR CUPTIE TESTIMONIAL

ST Johnstone’s Scottish Cup winning captain Dave Mackay will be honoured by fans at a testimonial match on Friday, October 6.

Tommy Wright’s side will face the defender’s first club, Dundee, in a Tayside derby at McDiarmid Park with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Testimonial committee chairman Scott Findlay welcomed the news.

He said: “We are delighted that Dundee and their manager Neil McCann have agreed to take part in this match to acknowledge Cuptie’s contribution to St Johnstone.

“It promises to be a memorable night and supporters will turn out in big numbers to honour one of the club’s most popular players of the modern era.

“Dave, of course, also has strong ties to Dundee and I’m sure Dark Blues supporters will be keen to take in the game.”

Mackay, now manager at Stirling Albion after being forced to quit playing last year with a hip injury, began his career at Dens when Jocky Scott was manager and was in a Dark Blues side bossed by Jim Duffy which lost out to Rangers in the 2003 Scottish Cup final. He made more than 100 appearances for Dundee before leaving for Oxford.

Mackay signed for Saints from Livingston in 2009 and went on to make 266 starts, including the historic 2014 Scottish Cup final victory over Dundee United.

On Saturday, the Dewars Centre in Perth hosts a testimonial dinner supported by Booker, with more than 300 tickets sold for the event. Dress code is lounge suit. The bars open from 6pm and it starts at 7.30pm sharp.

Bids will be taken for Mackay’s cup final shirt and boots, along with other auction items donated by Gleneagles, broadcaster Tam Cowan, actor Colin McCredie, Morrison and Mackay, Castle Stuart and Aberdeen FC. A signed Gareth Bale Real Madrid shirt also goes under the hammer.

I truly wish it was Our Turkish friends ....

Hope he gets a deserving crowd and the people of Dundee do indeed come out in force

Playing Dundee is an absolute non event I wouldn't be surprised if more people would come to a European freindly rather than Dundee I know the connection I know they have a good supportrt but as far as memorable opposition the testmonial committee have truly failed..

Like I say for a legend i hope the town of Perth come out make it a family fun affair ...

Playing Dundee is an absolute non event I wouldn't be surprised if more people would come to a European freindly rather than Dundee I know the connection I know they have a good supportrt but as far as memorable opposition the testmonial committee have truly failed..

Like I say for a legend i hope the town of Perth come out make it a family fun affair ...

Behave yourself.

Lots of ex players from both sides  planned to play in the game but if you fancy paying the huge fees top English clubs demand to come and play in testimonial games on you go. 

Guest ScottMann

I thought Dave had maybe asked for Dundee. Seems a decent choice all things considered. English League fixtures on the Saturday so the Cup winning team can't be reassembled unfortunately!

My favourite Dave moment was, I was in the East Stand, right at the front, we were playing Falkirk or somebody, Cap'n scampered down the wing, came up against their midfielder, tried to do some complicated Cruyf thing, which really wasn't his thing, let's be honest, ended up on his arse, I spat my bovril out of my nose laughing, gave him a huge ironic cheer, he got up, gave me a huge grin and a quick "feck off", then got up and carried on winning the game. He's my second all time favourite after, obvs, Sir Roderick of Grant.

Okay Dad. 

I think my point is more than valid and by the suggestions I think the support expected far more than Dundee 

Anyway like I say I only want Dave to have what he quite rightly deserves a big pay day  

Can you imagine the costs involved with getting a European team shipped over to play? Mackay would barely get a payday after that. And that's if any of them even agreed mid-season. We would hardly attract first team squads of any note anyway, remember the United XI full of kids that were sent up for Alan Main's match?

Imagine busting a guy to pull all of these testimonial events together and then coming on here to see your comment telling them they've completely failed. The committee don't get paid, do they? So these guys are giving up their own time to arrange everything, and good on them if so.

With no club matches that weekend, hopefully a good number of Dundee fans will make the short journey up the river to see their team and swell the coffers for the Testimonial fund. One of the best things I ever witnessed as a Saints fan (apart from the Cup Final) was the crowd at the concert hall when the open top bus arrived with our cup winning heroes. There were several generations of families, including many who had probably never even been to McDiarmid Park, all there to pay tribute to Tommy, CupTie, and the rest of the management and team. Hopefully as many of these people, as possible, will see this testimonial match as a specific opportunity to pay a personal tribute to a true club legend, who unfortunately had to call time on his playing career through injury, and never got the chance to say a proper goodbye to Saints fans, and allow us to say "Thanks for the memories Dave"

Offt, you've made a right dugs dinner of this one, what an ignorant opinion to have. I would doubt very much if you are aware of how much personal time and effort the people behind the committee have put into both the dinner event and getting the game sorted, to no advantage to themselves it must be added.

Also your reference to our Turkish friends? If you kept up to date with them at all you would know that they are up to their eyeballs in debt thanks to the construction of their new stadium that's simply far too big for purpose. So I highly doubt they would be able to afford a 6000 mile round trip for a testimonial.

Also Perth retained it's City status about three years ago. #justsayin

Well I for one think Dundee  are a great choice of opponent.. As has already been said, it's a free weekend & any Saints v Dundee game will attract  fans. It's easy for Wazzy to sit in his ivory tower over in the good old US of A and rip into Scott and the rest of his hard working testimonial committee members, but you are wrong on more than one front Romeo my old friend..  

If you can get a testimonial match against local opposition then you are able to tap into some away supporters spending some coin as well as the home fans. The whole reason for the match is to raise funds for Captain Dave and this game will do that.  For home fans it should matter not who we play as we are there to salute our cup winning captain, but the fact is , we all love a game against the great unwashed, testimonial or not.  I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Dees will bring at least 700 paying bodies and hopefully the crowd will be north of 3000. If we can't muster 2500 fans ( 15,000 at the final) to show our appreciation for Dave, it will be a disgrace.

Now rather than be negative Wazzy, how about making a big bid on Cupties cup final shirt..  It has to go for four figures & it would be wonderful if it did and then the buyer gave it back to our man..  That buyer could be you Romeo..  If you want to bid on the night I am happy to open a phone line from the Big Apple so you can show how much you care..  Maybe  I could even ask SB if he might shake your hand.  ;-)

COYS.

Well I for one think Dundee  are a great choice of opponent.. As has already been said, it's a free weekend & any Saints v Dundee game will attract  fans. It's easy for Wazzy to sit in his ivory tower over in the good old US of A and rip into Scott and the rest of his hard working testimonial committee members, but you are wrong on more than one front Romeo my old friend..  

If you can get a testimonial match against local opposition then you are able to tap into some away supporters spending some coin as well as the home fans. The whole reason for the match is to raise funds for Captain Dave and this game will do that.  For home fans it should matter not who we play as we are there to salute our cup winning captain, but the fact is , we all love a game against the great unwashed, testimonial or not.  I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Dees will bring at least 700 paying bodies and hopefully the crowd will be north of 3000. If we can't muster 2500 fans ( 15,000 at the final) to show our appreciation for Dave, it will be a disgrace.

Now rather than be negative Wazzy, how about making a big bid on Cupties cup final shirt..  It has to go for four figures & it would be wonderful if it did and then the buyer gave it back to our man..  That buyer could be you Romeo..  If you want to bid on the night I am happy to open a phone line from the Big Apple so you can show how much you care..  Maybe  I could even ask SB if he might shake your hand.  ;-)

COYS.

Muiry I really think the old hand shake quote is spent and rather provincial however I hope your right regarding a crowd north of 3000 as I believe he's worth more ... There won't be 700 Dundee fans and I'm not busting Scott's balls regarding dave's testimonial as far as I've read they've done a grand job apart from the testimonial match ( which to me is the most important ).I'm not being negative just very disappointed . I truly feel it's an easy out and a bad choice and as a WEAREPERTH member I'm fully entitled to my opinion..What's the bid on the top so far and if I'm interested I'll let you know.

COYS.

Sorry you are deluded.

i work with dyed in the wool Dee's fans who haven't missed their team in action for years and to man they have told me Cuptie won't see a penny of their money. 

I do appreciate all the work the committee do on Daves behalf but a visit of the the other Dundee lot would have a better idea.

Offt, you've made a right dugs dinner of this one, what an ignorant opinion to have. I would doubt very much if you are aware of how much personal time and effort the people behind the committee have put into both the dinner event and getting the game sorted, to no advantage to themselves it must be added.

Also your reference to our Turkish friends? If you kept up to date with them at all you would know that they are up to their eyeballs in debt thanks to the construction of their new stadium that's simply far too big for purpose. So I highly doubt they would be able to afford a 6000 mile round trip for a testimonial.

Also Perth retained it's City status about three years ago. #justsayin

What's the dogs dinner like I have said to Muiry I'm entitled to my opinion..

Is this not what weareperth about week in week out it's full of opinions don't you think I want Dave to have as much as possible I would rather go for  a mix of the STJOHNSTONE LEAGUE CUP FINALISTS AGAINST A MIX OF THE SCOTTISH CUP FINALIST IMAGINE THE EXCITEMENT OF SEEING OUR LEGENDS OF THE PAST V OUR LEGENDS OF TODAY...

THE DUNDEE GAME IS A NON EVENT AND IF THEY SENT OUT SOME FEEDBACK WITH IDEAS MAYBE WE COULD OF GOT A BETTER GAME FOR DAVE..

ANYWAY ITS DONE NOW AND I WISH HIM LUCK

The plans are well under way to have legends from both St.johnstone and Dundee to play in the game which the committee are very confident will attract what we hope will be a big crowd for Dave. I'm sure most saints and dees fans would love to see their old heros back in their teams colours. The committee felt that Dundee was Dave's first club and St.johnstone his last so makes perfect sense. It doesn't make any business sense for us to fork out money for flights and overnight hotel stays for an English premiership or  championship team who would send up there reserve or youth team with the cost to bring them here coming right of the fund that should be going to Dave. More will be announced next week after this saturdays Sell out Dinner at Dewars. 

Thanks Scott