Dave Mckay Testimonial match against DUNDEE Friday 6th Oct.

Who the **** are you to tell me what to spend my hard earned cash on?? I've spent an absolute fortune following Saints, and don't need to justify myself to  anyone, never mind a cock on a keyboard, I support St Johnstone fc, their employees, i.e. the players are blessed to wear our shirt,and be part of our club,and are payed handsomely, compared to many. I find it bizarre, you think my family would be less important than a club employee.I also don't earn a life changing amount, but I've to prioritise my finances, and cupties testimonial lost out, sorry to disappoint such a diehard.

It's more about the chance to show Mackay appreciation for years of service. He never got a send off so this was it, your only chance to actually show him how much he meant to us. If you didn't have £15 to spare then fair ****s. 

You should be honored to do a testimonial I specifically said choosing the game was the issue not the speciality outings that the people with more cash can afford .The testimonial game was an opportunity for the general public to have a fantastic night.. instead they watched  a training session which is the only reason Dundee cane ..

It's more about the chance to show Mackay appreciation for years of service. He never got a send off so this was it, your only chance to actually show him how much he meant to us. If you didn't have £15 to spare then fair ****s. 

Random that’s a terrible thing to state at the end of your comment 

Some of the comments on this subject are an absolute embarrassment. All you folks are very good at sitting behind your computer criticising others who have given up their own time for Dave’s testimonial year. As for “the committee have f**cked up bigtime” that I seen from one of you keyboard warriors I find that an incredible comment as we have 

1. SOLD OUT a Golf day 

2. SOLD OUT a dinner for 350 people 

3. SOLD OUT hospitality and all advertising at his game v Dundee 

unfortunately there wasn’t a great crowd at the game but that’s one of those things. The people who came along all seemed to enjoy seeing the legends play. As for people not happy having Dundee as the opposition what do u suggest?? Pay a certain English team £23000 to come and play in a game and end up making a loss for Dave or have Dundee who were good enough to come along for free and also play some of their legends in the game. Whatever we done we weren’t going to please everyone but if any of you genius business people have anymore ideas you would like to add please feel free to come and meet us at the next meeting so we can come and hear some of your GREAT ideas face to face rather than slaughtering people on here who are genuinely trying to do their best for Dave 

thanks

scott 

Personally I'm firmly in favour of testimonials for Saints players who give 10 years to the club (and I still reckon Peaso should have been given one too). I do think that players in the millionnaire bracket should be giving their proceeds to charity, but Saints are a long way off paying players that sort of money so I don't see a comparison. And it's fine to say firefighters, nurses etc are more deserving, but those people don't work in industries where they have "fans" so it's completely different.

But I do wonder if the crowd on Friday demonstrates that there just isn't enough of a public appetite for these things to be viable any more. Chris Millar is up next and you have to wonder what his committee can possibly do differently to draw people in. The legends element was a great idea but still people didn't come out for it. Personally I don't even think a big English club would pull in much of a crowd, because they'd only bring their youngsters up like Man Utd and Newcastle did for previous testimonials, and that's just completely unappealing. Maybe if we could get Eses over there'd be an interest in it, but who pays for that?

Random that’s a terrible thing to state at the end of your comment 

Maybe. Maybe I'm just finding it tedious being called a cock for daring to question someone who specifically came onto a testimonial thread for a legend to say they're pointless. 

I didn't give a **** about the opposition either, draw for me was seeing Mackay and the legends again, we could've been playing Jeanfield Swifts and I'd still have enjoyed it. 

This is insane.  The effort that's been put in (organisers), those who turned out for the kick about. I'm sure Dave is very appreciative of it all.

Only the fans are moaning about everything from turn out to pensions to Friday night games to opposition to admission fee.. everyone needs to calm the **** down.  

Just saying... It's a complete non issue.

It's hard to believe anyone volunteers for great causes like this when their efforts attract the sort of venemous and pointless criticism we have seen on here. 

Totally agree a lot if people have worked extremely hard to organise everything for cuties testimonial and our own fans are criticizing it all I wonder if they would give up there free time to organise for such a cause 

Some of the comments on this subject are an absolute embarrassment. All you folks are very good at sitting behind your computer criticising others who have given up their own time for Dave’s testimonial year. As for “the committee have f**cked up bigtime” that I seen from one of you keyboard warriors I find that an incredible comment as we have 

1. SOLD OUT a Golf day 

2. SOLD OUT a dinner for 350 people 

3. SOLD OUT hospitality and all advertising at his game v Dundee 

unfortunately there wasn’t a great crowd at the game but that’s one of those things. The people who came along all seemed to enjoy seeing the legends play. As for people not happy having Dundee as the opposition what do u suggest?? Pay a certain English team £23000 to come and play in a game and end up making a loss for Dave or have Dundee who were good enough to come along for free and also play some of their legends in the game. Whatever we done we weren’t going to please everyone but if any of you genius business people have anymore ideas you would like to add please feel free to come and meet us at the next meeting so we can come and hear some of your GREAT ideas face to face rather than slaughtering people on here who are genuinely trying to do their best for Dave 

thanks

scott 

The premium events were fantastic and well done..

But you need  accept one thing the most important event of all was not impressive and I hope some aspects of this has taught future committees some hard lessons.  

Edited by byebyedundee

The premium events were fantastic and well done..

But you need  accept one thing the most important event of all was not impressive and I hope some aspects of this has taught future committees some hard lessons.  

I disagree. I’m not sure hard lessons need to be learned. How many Saints fans who were going to come and recognise cuptie decided “oh it’s only Dundee” we are playing I’m not going. I thought the veterans event was a brainwave.  I for one would like to thank all the committee and Dundee FC for given their services  free and look forward to Midges testimonial - oh that’s if we can get a committee.

I’m not accepting that to be honest. What would you of suggested for the game? The club dictate the date for the game as we obviously have to work round what date is best for Tommy and the 1st team. Also there wasn’t enough time to organise the game for pre season. So who would of been your ideal opponents bearing in mind that a certain English club quoted £23000 to play. Also international weekends are really the only option as Obviously Dave is manager of Stirling so has a game at the weekends. 

Guest ScottMann

a certain English club quoted £23000 to play. 

Oh c'mon...who??? We won't tell anyone, honest. Maybe just the initials...or initial if they only have one...please...:?:

So fewer people turned up than some expected.  It would have been nice if there had been more, but abusing others and / or the committee is unlikely to encourage anyone to organise a future event.

Anyone who went along expecting any part of the game to be hard fought was deluding themselves.  Personally I found the second half to be one of the most entertaining 45 minutes I have spent at McDiarmid Park.  It was just honest to goodness fun.  The players treated it that way and everyone else should have too.  

Full credit to everyone from Dundee who made the event all that it was.  Congratulations too to the committee.  But most of all thanks to Cuptie for many, many magical moments over the years and good luck to the Binos over the rest of the season.

Apologies if this post needs to move to another forum because I haven't abused anyone or called them something that involves asteriks. 

Couple of comments.

1/ great work by all organisers, fantastic job. Testimonials for players at saints level have a far higher return for individuals than players at clubs who get big salaries. Money is silly when you go up a level or two, but no-one gets rich playing for saints, so the return is higher for the players personally.

2/ Out of interest, roughly, what % of the cash raised was garnered from the 1400 supporters at the game versus all the other more 'premium' events , advertising etc that fed the kitty?

3/ If we still have any kind of saints media group....question for them and them only, not the organisers of this.

We got to watch 18 minutes of fairly decent coverage on a Dundee webpage for a saints legend's testimonial. Thank god we played Dundee I guess, as at least they had a guy with a camera. Is what Dundee did really so high tech? Didnt look it to me, one camera I believe. Are we not able to have a single camera cover a saints home game?

There, had to get that 3rd comment off my chest, bugged the crap out of me as it always does, :)