Saints v Hibs 9-9-17

The ghost of Jim Morton

Probably poorest league performance this season I have seen and get a point... Well that's alright with me.   Given last seasons garbage home performances and defeats at times - I reflect on a good defensive performance today.. Last season that was a stick on defeat.  I'd say that's progress.

Not too unhappy at dropping 2 points to be honest when you're not playing that well. .

Draw was fair result.  Our effort merited a point alone.  Mannus played well.  

A decent but disappointing point. 

What concerns me is that without the lone star MOH we would be struggling for anyone else to even look like they could score at the moment and teams seem to be able to completely over-run us in every position all too easily. 

Happy we are where we are but we need a presence and some flare about the team 

If we are going to play one up front & sit so deep we have to play a striker that can win the ball in the air & have a bit of pace. Hendry is the only one we have that can do that with Macca dropping to the number 10 role.

Macca is not a lone striker. When we try that, we are generally shit. If Tommy wants to set up with one up front, then he needs to select the team that suits the formation, not move the usual starting players around

He played up front on his own for the majority of the past three seasons, and only two weeks ago at Celtic Park. 

Him as the lone striker isn't the problem, the problem is the midfield sitting too deep. O'Halloran, Spoony and Scougall are his support and not one of them got within ten yards of him regularly, TW changed us to have Paton between defence and midfield and a flat four, he's more to blame for things than Macca, and acknowledged that by eventually going two up top. 

With how we defended today and Mikey in fantastic form, we are a scary threat for teams. If we had Mikey all season it could comfortably be argued that there are only two teams better than us - although only 5 games have been played, the table simply verifies this.

Well played Saints.

He played up front on his own for the majority of the past three seasons, and only two weeks ago at Celtic Park. 

Him as the lone striker isn't the problem, the problem is the midfield sitting too deep. O'Halloran, Spoony and Scougall are his support and not one of them got within ten yards of him regularly, TW changed us to have Paton between defence and midfield and a flat four, he's more to blame for things than Macca, and acknowledged that by eventually going two up top. 

You're right there was a lack of support, but I don't think, other than the opening spell, that Macca held the ball up long enough for the midfield to get up to him. I didn't think Macca put their centre backs under any pressure in the air either.

I'm a big fan of Maclean and what he brings to the team generally, and I don't think him up front alone has been an issue so far, the 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 have worked pretty well for us up to date. I just think today there were too many out of those front 4 who were having an off day, Maclean included.

What concerns me is that without the lone star MOH we would be struggling for anyone else to even look like they could score at the moment and teams seem to be able to completely over-run us in every position all too easily. 

That was very evident in the first 20 mins, was it not. Granted Hibs pegged us back second half, but we defended well. Scougall and Mikey give us the flare as does Spoony -granted he will be very disappointed with his performance today. I though we looked strong for large parts. Dundee and Hamilton up next, you got to fancy at least 4 pts.

Edited by Havana Saint

I'm not blaming Macca, I'm blaming Tommy!! Set ups like today don't play to McLeans strengths 

Should it not be the Loan Ranger :cool: 

Foster needs anger management. He passed the ball out of play & Scogall indicated that he wanted ball to feet or something & Foster lost the plot. Maybe Ghostie or someone down that end heard what was said but it doesn't look like he appreciates criticism. Just as well it wasn't Danny this time.

Hendry's like the sixth or seventh choice striker, a youth team player. 

I do agree with the sentiment he seems a bit different though, also confused as to why Thomson isn't on the bench when Alston is injured. Our bench yesterday was two defenders, two central midfielders, and two paceless target men. Thomson should've been there as a wide option, and I'm not overly convinced Cummins/Johnstone are different from each other enough for it to be worthwhile having both there. 

Foster  gave  Scougall a severe bollocking but it was more I think for not tracking back I think. poor wee Scougall  looked like he might greet.. Personally I like to see that sort of passion from our players..  Foster is very committed..

I think Scougall fell out of the game after that but so did a few. Spoony was having a good game until 20 mins. I never noticed what the changes in tactics were apart from some reason dropping deep. Their full backs spent more time in our half than theirs & Mikey was our best defender as Eastie kept getting done for pace.

Macca needs help now I would love saints to play 4 4 2 with young hendry getting a chance next to macca with moh and thommo on the wings quick both helping out ,moh did a power of work yesterday and some great tackle s on the bye line

Think it says a lot Thomson can't even make the bench, as for starting he's not near it, got ability but seems to lack in confidence most times watched him for first team.

we hear from the opposition manager every week "streetwise, match them in the battle etc", but Hibs looked bigger, stronger and dare I say it, fitter than Saints, although we did make them look good by sitting so deep, and the space between Macca and the midfield was far too much, the aimless punts from defence were just giving them possession back as soon as we won it.

When we did play it on the deck in the first twenty and for the goal, we opened up their defence, which didn't look that clever if we had got at it more.

Wanted three points, but still a good point after a bad day at the office.

Foster needs anger management. He passed the ball out of play & Scogall indicated that he wanted ball to feet or something & Foster lost the plot. Maybe Ghostie or someone down that end heard what was said but it doesn't look like he appreciates criticism. Just as well it wasn't Danny this time.

Should have seen him before he had the anger management course.

I'm not blaming Macca, I'm blaming Tommy!! Set ups like today don't play to McLeans strengths 

Leaving him up front alone competing for high balls is hopeless. They simply give possession straight back to the opposition. Even with Johnstone beside him Hibs were winning tthe ball easily. McGinn was running straight through us. We were extremely fortunate to hold on for a draw. As for Midge,if he's fit he should be on the bench as we don't exactly have many guys who can come on & make a difference.

As for Midge,if he's fit he should be on the bench as we don't exactly have many guys who can come on & make a difference.

The comments from Tommy concerning Davidson coming off early seem to suggest he was very angry with the Midge situation for the last couple of seasons where he had to come off early quite a few times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41219461

The comments from Tommy concerning Davidson coming off early seem to suggest he was very angry with the Midge situation for the last couple of seasons where he had to come off early quite a few times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41219461

Do not read it as having a dig at Midge rather that he was pissed off at Davidson declaring he was 100% fit for the match when he was not.

TW rant will also show all other players what he thinks of having to make an unnecessary change and not to lie to him regarding their fitness levels.

We will see if this has an effective on team selection for Dundee - Midge back in the fold???