Hamilton Accies (H) - Premiership - 23/09/17

Radford 72

Very good win considering how the 90 minutes went. It was never pretty but changing to a 3-5-2 certainly helped. 4-4-2 almost never works for us for some reason.

Huge credit to surprise hero Scott Tanser. Playing left wing back he put 4 beautiful crosses into the box creating clear cut headed chances and eventually the final goal. He was very impressive.

Other than that Craig played well and Cummins put a power of work in. Feel a bit sorry for him as he spends the entire game chasing punts. Mannus also had a  top top save at 1-1 that was worth a goal.

Anyway, results over performance and 2nd in the league. That will do.

Very good win considering how the 90 minutes went. It was never pretty but changing to a 3-5-2 certainly helped. 4-4-2 almost never works for us for some reason.

Huge credit to surprise hero Scott Tanser. Playing left wing back he put 4 beautiful crosses into the box creating clear cut headed chances and eventually the final goal. He was very impressive.

Other than that Craig played well and Cummins put a power of work in. Feel a bit sorry for him as he spends the entire game chasing punts. Mannus also had a  top top save at 1-1 that was worth a goal.

Anyway, results over performance and 2nd in the league. That will do.

Saves me posting. Agree word for word.

Been looking for back 3 a few times, Worked today. Tommy master tacticiañ.

First half was dire.

Game of two halves. Accies deservedly ahead at half time after playing some good stuff. Saints had a few half chances but seemed wide open to Accies movement and 1-2's through us. We were mostly predictable with a long punt upto Cummins, other than Scougall trying to get it down and play.

Second half Saints dominated and overall deserved the points I thought. We didn't play much particularly great football, it just seemed to be upping our tempo and getting on top of the midfield. It was mostly balls up the channels and winning throw ins high up the park and wearing Accies down. 4 excellent crosses from the left hand side, 1 Cummins headed over just after HT, Maclean glanced one wide, and the other two resulted in goals.

Our defence looked far more solid second half, and Easton came onto a good game. We seemed to go 3-4-1-2 with Foster(then Spoony) and Tanser pushed on.. might just have been because we were pushing forward a lot though.

Strange second half from Accies, with this new found total football style have they lost their traditional battling qualities? Completely fell out of it.

I wasn't that enamoured with our line up at the start, but i have to say fair play to Tommy Wright for all his changes today. Second half starting 4-3-1-2 with Scougall in behind, Tanser on for Craig brought fresh legs and energy, and a couple of great crosses. Great to see Midge get the last 5-10 minutes as well.  

Thought Murray hadn't been that great to be honest, but that towering header to win it was magnificent!  

I phucking loved that second half.. Phucking loved it.. Accies are a horrible team who try to disrupt the game and cheat at every opportunity. I phucking LOVE it when we beat them.

Huge well played to Cummins who  put in a power of work and won  so many headers, chased so many lost causes and  generally put himself about a lot.. Also Tanser who cannae half zing a phucking cross in... As for Paton.. he's  a machine. Wee Scougall did well and Spoony did well in his short time on the pitch. Brilliant to see Chris Millar come on and even better to see the reception he got.. A few poor performances sadly.. Brian Easton... WTF has happened to him?? And mad Ricky was well off it as well.. Anyway, did I say I phucking hate Hamilton...  3 points, 2nd in the league. PHUCKING MAGIC.

As much as you can give Tommy credit for switching to a back 3, which worked albeit we were lucky that Hamilton are rancid because we were too open. It can't be forgotten that he completely screwed the first half up by playing the totally wrong formation and the wrong players. So yes praise is deserved as well as the substitution of Tanser, but had he not been playing tactical tombola in the first place we'd never have needed to switch things up. 

As much as you can give Tommy credit for switching to a back 3, which worked albeit we were lucky that Hamilton are rancid because we were too open. It can't be forgotten that he completely screwed the first half up by playing the totally wrong formation and the wrong players. So yes praise is deserved as well as the substitution of Tanser, but had he not been playing tactical tombola in the first place we'd never have needed to switch things up. 

I agree first half was poor. It seemed like Tommy had expected the usual dire battle with Accies and went 4-4-2 to grind it out. We were very predictable and they ran through our static central midfield quite regularly. I actually thought they played some decent stuff first half.

I suppose it's better to be good in the second half than the first and finish strongly. But we're still waiting on a 90 minute performance this season. Seems daft when we're sitting in second place.

Hopefully next week sees us return to the 4-2-3-1, with Scougall central and Spoony and MOH the wider players in the three.  Who knows though, I find Tommy's line ups hard to predict!

Much better getting the 5 in midfield. Slightly lucky as the back 3 left us exposed at times.

Probably should of gone the 4-5-1 from the start. We have the players to fill in if MOH is not fit to accommodate what looks to be our best formation, for the one game tompson should be given the chance to slot in, or, actually i think cummins could fill the MOH roll as backup rather than being up front 

I suppose it is a good sign when we can win when being pretty poor. First half we were truely mince. 2nd, it never felt like we'd concede aside from the great save and every substitution made us better.

Tanser surprisingly drove us on and put in some great crosses.

Concerned about Foster though. He was terrible throughout. Maybe a spell out of the team might do him some good.

Edited by TheYellowBox

I suppose it is a good sign when we can win when being pretty poor. First half we were truely mince. 2nd, it never felt like we'd concede aside from the great save and every substitution made us better.

Tanser surprisingly drove us on and put in some great crosses.

Concerned about Foster though. He was terrible throughout. Maybe a spell out of the team might do him some good.

Where is Comrie though? 

Who was Maclean raging at in the Main Stand? Was he getting stick?  Saw his goal on alba, and he ran away after scoring with a shush gesture and mouthed shut the **** up in quite an angry manner!

Paton was the same when Muzz got the winner. I canna imagine what it was aimed at.. ha

Paton was MOTM for me, the man is a beast. Cummins put in another good showing, did everything apart from. Well done for Tommy changing it early in the 2nd half. Tanser put in some brilliant crosses, wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance at left back or down the flank again.

Good to see Millar come on at the end, fantastic reception for him.

Paton was the same when Muzz got the winner. I canna imagine what it was aimed at.. ha

Paton was MOTM for me, the man is a beast. Cummins put in another good showing, did everything apart from. Well done for Tommy changing it early in the 2nd half. Tanser put in some brilliant crosses, wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance at left back or down the flank again.

Good to see Millar come on at the end, fantastic reception for him.

We changed after about 35 minutes. Tanser was much more effective than Liam in that role, he played really well and put in some belting crosses. As Broon said, Mannus' save was a great block and we might not have recoverdd if Hamilton had scored at that point.

Really pleased with that...

Well here I go with my tin helmet on.

Don't care if I ever see Cummins in a Saints strip again. Flatters to deceive.

Hamilton walked all over us in the first half.

How they only went in 1 up at halftime I'll never know and if you're honest neither will you.

Worse than the Dundee performance.

As said previously, Manus produces the goods at the vital stage in the game.

Tanser comes on and immediately wants to get forward to put in an early cross and bingo, Bob's yer uncle.

Summary- goals win matches.

We will play a lot better and lose.

But there's an old football adage-: a good team wins when they are not playing well.

Overall, great to get the 3 points and Tommy makes the changes to put Foster in midfield, Joe to right back, Beastie to central defence and Tanser at left back.

In Tommy I trust.

2nd in the league and You're  no.

Oh, almost forgot, if the team showed the same commitment over the 90+ that was shown by Paton we would have not struggled.

Not sure I understand the criticism for Cummins. He works like a horse and allows MacLean to stay central and drop into midfield, which ultimately leads to him getting into goalscoring positions and helps us build attacks. A totally unselfish player. 

Don't get me wrong, we need better for when MacLean does retire, but he's far from the worse striker we've had in the past few years. I'd probably prefer him to Kane at the moment.