Aberdeen v Saints 30/9/17

jhq

Sitting where we are in the league, having played both Celtic and Aberdeen away, is a decent outcome

I Would also rather lose away to Aberdeen (an expected result if being honest) than, say, loses T home to Hamilton

However, you have to worry about how utter shit we are when we lose one or two players. I also don't buy the Tommy master tactition stuff....gets it way wrong too many times for me

Really feel that we are holding on to our lofty position by our fingertips. Hibs and Well looking decent and a couple of poor results and we could find ourselves 7th or 8th, or worse, wondering what happened 

Four years of success builds a level of trust in the manager but he makes it hard to try and understand yesterday when he rips into the players but specifically says the system wasn't to blame, a system he changed after 20 minutes. I can understand if he doesn't want to show weakness (to the players if nothing else) by admitting some culpability but why change the shape after losing the second goal if it wasn't the problem? If it was to be more attacking, surely you have to sacrifice Tanser at that point, as the poor guy was out of his depth at left midfield for 25 minutes.

You could see early on that Comrie and Tanser were probably meant to be pushing high onto their full backs but it was leaving us three against three at the back, which is far too high risk, especially away to Aberdeen. They loaded up down our right in particular, which meant either Comrie being badly exposed or Shaughnessy or a midfielder coming out to help, which just left a huge hole somewhere else. I'd love to know how that system was meant to work yesterday. It did the job when it matched up directly to Accies for a half last week but was that really enough to make it the plan A away to an unbeaten Aberdeen side playing a different system to Hamilton? The manager won't be asked and won't explain his thinking but it's an expensive day out for TW to conduct what looked like a bit of an experiment.

He's used the out of saying the two goals were set pieces (that's another issue altogether, we look vulnerable from them this season) but you need to try and start a game well to give yourself a footing and we (obviously) didn't manage that. At Dundee I thought the players failed to match up in the basics but yesterday, although they didn't play well, it looked to be made harder because of the starting system.

The rest of the game after that opening quarter wasn't dreadful but Aberdeen were incredibly comfortable with their cushion and you just felt the damage had been done. We contained them pretty well but I think you accept they were playing down a gear or two. We offered no discernible threat, every ball into the box was floated catching practice for Joe Lewis.

All said though, if lessons are learnt from it then you just mark it down to experience. The back three can maybe be a good counter in certain situations but, on the basis on yesterday, both needs a fair bit more work as a unit and an understanding of when to use it if it's ever to become plan A for this squad of players.

I sometimes get the impression that when Tommy gets praise for his tactical nouse one week it goes to his head and he goes into tinker mode. Its happened before.

I can imagine that its incredibly frustrating that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves due to our style of play. Im sure he's desperate to make us more attractive. However, when only 2 players in your starting 11 are comfortable with the ball and you leave proper footballers like Spoony and Millar on the bench the only hope you have is to go direct. 

I don't have a problem with going direct either...it works most if the time. I just wish if Tommy wants to change our style of play he'd recogise we need to be able to pass the ball and retain possession. That will never happen with a Davidson/Paton midfield. 

I sometimes get the impression that when Tommy gets praise for his tactical nouse one week it goes to his head and he goes into tinker mode. Its happened before.

I can imagine that its incredibly frustrating that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves due to our style of play. Im sure he's desperate to make us more attractive. However, when only 2 players in your starting 11 are comfortable with the ball and you leave proper footballers like Spoony and Millar on the bench the only hope you have is to go direct. 

I don't have a problem with going direct either...it works most if the time. I just wish if Tommy wants to change our style of play he'd recogise we need to be able to pass the ball and retain possession. That will never happen with a Davidson/Paton midfield. 

You have hit the nail on the head there. The reason we go long ball is there is nobody in the team comfortable on the ball.

Tommy was in the courier more or else praising himself as a tactical giant against Hamilton.

Still we are equal third but we have been poor this season.

What happened to " hard to beat"?

Already lost THREE goals to Patrick (L/C), Dundee and now to Aberdeen.

Let's get back to defending properly.

The team that doesn't concede, never loses.

Wasn't at the game (due to enforced absence) but from others accounts, we were dire.

However, early days, points on the board and looking forward to better results.

Tommy says he is not going to cancel their days off as it would have meant cancelling his & he needs a break & time to cool down.

He also said that the players were given all they  asked for - stayed overnight in Aberdeen.

Perth is only 91.3 miles from Pittodrie and takes 1 hour 44 minutes  so why the need to pamper with an overnight stay?

By Tommy's comments about the match the players were to blame for the performance and if that is how they perform when given everything they request then he needs to be a bit stricter with them and not mollycoddle them.

Don't often post much negative about players, although it has been known, but I'm struggling to see any positives with Denny Johnstone. For all folk complain about Cummins, I can see his effort and workrate. With DJ I can't see much, even in his short time on the pitch. Maybe he's just a bit out of practice?

Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad! Saturday was bad so hopefully against Sevco it will be the good.. I had hoped Tommy would have used the same gameplan as Motherwell in the cup! Sometimes other managers do the homework for you! Sadly I didn't think Aberdeen were as good as they would have everyone believe, unfortunately we  didn't challenge any part of their game?! Onwards & upwards as they say!! COYS 

Aberdeen should be ashamed at ripping away fans off.

well done those saints fans who went  

Prices are a disgrace for a restricted view, crumbling terracing and broken seats, not what you expect from the so called second force in Scottish football (in their eyes), they certainly need this new ground as the away end is terrible

Every season that passes they are turning more and more Old Firmesque with their constant whining at the officials, especially that tit Shinnie.

Tommy has 60 minutes against Dundee before legends come to sort things out before Rangers.

I think Zander should get a game as Mannus seems to have returned to being glued to his line after having a good start to season.

I think we have to give Ando needs a rest as well

He also said that the players were given all they  asked for - stayed overnight in Aberdeen.

Perth is only 91.3 miles from Pittodrie and takes 1 hour 44 minutes  so why the need to pamper with an overnight stay?

By Tommy's comments about the match the players were to blame for the performance and if that is how they perform when given everything they request then he needs to be a bit stricter with them and not mollycoddle them.

Going by the first 20 mins ,they must have been on piss on Friday night.

Tommy has 60 minutes against Dundee before legends come to sort things out before Rangers.

I think Zander should get a game as Mannus seems to have returned to being glued to his line after having a good start to season.

I think we have to give Ando needs a rest as well

Have you seen our bench? This squad is imo the poorest for the last three or four seasons and is bottom six. You talk of dropping players but there are no replacements! Without MOH (who only arrived at last minute and not a signing TW could have been sure about making) we would be in even bigger trouble. 

Prices are a disgrace for a restricted view, crumbling terracing and broken seats, not what you expect from the so called second force in Scottish football (in their eyes), they certainly need this new ground as the away end is terrible

Every season that passes they are turning more and more Old Firmesque with their constant whining at the officials, especially that tit Shinnie.

Do they fuk need this new ground, which will only be 500m from my doorstep, replacing the view of green fields and rolling hills with a faquing great red unlanced boil! You wait 'til you see the prices they charge then to subsidise the free buses they're offering up to their support, someone is going to have to pay for them. They have chosen to spend their budget on playing staff rather than balance the books between players and maintaining the infrastructure, which other clubs do, giving them this false elevated position. Paris has the tower, London has the eye and the shard Westhill will have the plook!!