St Johnstone v Rangers 13/10/17

tucker

Struggling to understand the negativity here. We didn't play badly and the defence that conceded two of three goals will never ever play together ever again. This run of Celtic/Aberdeen/Rangers in quick succession was always going to be a form killer, seems a bit reactionary to be dropping the entire squad and retiring anyone over 30 because we've lost to two of the best teams in the league tbh. 

Hate to say it I  agree 100% with Random

Its no doubt in my mind with the players we have we need to play 4-2-3-1 to make up for our lack of mobility and possession in midfield, win that battle and we win points.

Why Tommy wont play that way without golden boy MOH is beyond me. If he is not playing then Thompson should be stepping up or what's the point. Even Cummings I think could potentially fill that role at a push.

For me system is above all we don't have the players to play 4 v 5 in the middle.

If MOH doesn't play then Alston steps in, of neither are fit you put Scougz and Spoony on the wings and either play MacLean in a deeper role or play Muzz in a more advanced role. 

Thomson should be the absolute last resort at the moment. He's only still here because he's cheap. 

And how do you sort the defence and how do you know he's cheap, I'm beginning to think you are Pedro's mole with all the inside knowledge you claim to have about tactics, players contracts and so on...

And how do you sort the defence and how do you know he's cheap, I'm beginning to think you are Pedro's mole with all the inside knowledge you claim to have about tactics, players contracts and so on...

I don't think there's much wrong with the defence, in all honesty, every team outwith Celtic will ship three goals in a game multiple times this season. 

And there's no other reason he'd be here. He "broke through" over two years ago and is nearing 25 games for the club, and he's contributed not a single thing 

Guest ScottMann

I thought for most of the game it was two evenly matched teams then Ando ****ed up and that was always going to be that.

We've had full seasons when we've never totalled 17 corners in all games against the Old Firm in whatever format they're in so it was quite unreal to see that in one game. It was also unreal though that so little came of them especially through the lack of variety. What's that saying about madness and repeatedly doing the same thing? 

Rangers are nothing special. I fear ourselves more than them. 

If MOH doesn't play then Alston steps in, of neither are fit you put Scougz and Spoony on the wings and either play MacLean in a deeper role or play Muzz in a more advanced role. 

Thomson should be the absolute last resort at the moment.

Hence why for a few games Cummings could fit in the advanced 3 he quite likes getting wide he is fairly fast and his delivery isn't bad. Not sure what his defensive quality's are but that can be worked on. 

Could give him a new lease of life cos for all his work he sure as hell ain't a striker 

Hence why for a few games Cummings could fit in the advanced 3 he quite likes getting wide he is fairly fast and his delivery isn't bad. Not sure what his defensive quality's are but that can be worked on. 

Could give him a new lease of life cos for all his work he sure as hell ain't a striker 

In certain games maybe, in a similat way we used May against Logan in the Semi, but I'm not sure about it all the time. He can't beat a man for pace, nor is he great on the ball, nor is great at getting back. His only real asset is putting pressure on defences and on the wing he'd not really be doing that. 

I thought for most of the game it was two evenly matched teams then Ando ****ed up and that was always going to be that.

We've had full seasons when we've never totalled 17 corners in all games against the Old Firm in whatever format they're in so it was quite unreal to see that in one game. It was also unreal though that so little came of them especially through the lack of variety. What's that saying about madness and repeatedly doing the same thing? 

Rangers are nothing special. I fear ourselves more than them. 

Their defence coped well with corners & we were as poor in the air in their box as our own.

Lack of variation was unbelievable. A few times Midge went for a short one  & was sent away. May have been a ploy though to draw out defence.

I don't think there's much wrong with the defence, in all honesty, every team outwith Celtic will ship three goals in a game multiple times this season. 

And there's no other reason he'd be here. He "broke through" over two years ago and is nearing 25 games for the club, and he's contributed not a single thing 

Open your eyes the defence is costing us every game, it needs sorted, just because everyone else does it, so what, didn't see the diddies ship 3 against Celtic or Hibs v Aberden today.

Yep don't think Thomson is up to it myself, but quoting about his wages etc is poor  even by your ill informed standards when you don't have a scooby what he is on or any the saints players are on.

Open your eyes the defence is costing us every game, it needs sorted, just because everyone else does it, so what, didn't see the diddies ship 3 against Celtic or Hibs v Aberden today.

I don't see the defence as costing us at all. Not scoring goals is a bigger problem, and harder to fix. 

I think this'll be our worst season under TW. Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers are all clearly better than us, and I'd suggest Hibernian are too. From what I've seen of things so far it'll be a successful campaign if we're fighting for fifth with Hearts. 

I don't see the defence as costing us at all. Not scoring goals is a bigger problem, and harder to fix. 

I think this'll be our worst season under TW. Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers are all clearly better than us, and I'd suggest Hibernian are too. From what I've seen of things so far it'll be a successful campaign if we're fighting for fifth with Hearts. 

We’ll be bottom half but safe 

and that my fellow Saintees is a successful season 

Agreed that this season could be our worst under TW. The squad is poorest for years. Our inability to find creative players and a half reasonable striker will catch up with us this season. I can see bottom six and a fight to avoid play off unless MOH and a striker brought in during Jan window

I don't think we're poor enough to be worrying about relegation tbh. 

You are correct, but, and I hope I get proved wrong, I can see us finding ourselves in 7th, 8th or even 9th after the next four games or so, mostly due to the feeling that unless MOH hits the net, we won't score enough to counteract the poor goals we are conceding

So every time we give us away a cheap goal as in the last few weeks, we need two to win, a strong defence is a key to a winning team. Up front is a problem and in previous seasons didn't have a Stevie May type forward, we had a strong defence and a midfield chipping in with goals, unless I'm mistaken don't see this happening this season apart from Mikey and when he is out or away in January we are going to struggle (unless we get a few decent players in January window)

Sit somewhere in the middle regarding the performance on Friday. First hour or so we played well and it could have gone either way before the sending off killed us.

2 up front was quite bold, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but would have loved us to have played one striker with Scougall central just in behind him. He had a great game on the ball and could really have made something happen in the middle. I felt Rangers were allowed to dominate possession in there a bit and a decent but by no means outstanding player like Dorrans was made to look like Pirlo by being allowed so much time and space.

When it comes to crosses we really miss a Fraser Wright type figure who wins everything. First goal Joe left his man to try to attack the cross, so Ando left his man to challenge Joe's, leaving Pena unmarked. Joe and Ando seemed to be blaming each other.

Thought Brian Easton and Spoony were very poor. In fairness, neither hid and still looked to get on the ball, but both are capable of so much better. Especially disappointed in Spoony the last few games after the way he started the season.  

We got into great positions a lot of the time but wasted far too often .. about 4 or 5 opportunities to cut it back or square it in the first half, Maclean was thru in the second and dithered for ages before getting blocked instead of squaring to Cummins, Spoony had a run and kept it far too long.  We have to create more and score when we're on the ascendancy against the better teams to put pressure on them.

We all knew we lacked forward options a the start of the season, but an unpredictable figure like Romain Habran would surely have been a better option than another one paced target man that we've ended up with, even if Denny does prove not bad at that role.  

We've been here so often the past few seasons, a bad run and everyone writing the team off. We're just as capable of stringing together a few wins..

Just watched the game was at Royal Air Force Association Ball in Limassol Friday into Saturday. 

As some have said the result could have went either way until we went down to 10 men. We will get through this season and top or bottom half will depend on two things keeping MOH and he does not lose his form. I am not too despondent Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts I thought if we got 6-4 points we would be doing well. Beat Hearts on Saturday and we have 4. I know to some this may be unacceptable but I am afraid that is where we are in the league this season.

As for next year A Centre Half and a Striker is a priority

I wonder if the compliance officer is going to have a look at the actions of the Rangers player( not interested enough in them to know his name) who rolled about in our box breakdancing and screaming as if he'd broken his leg, has a sly glance up to see that they've scored their third goal, and leaps to his feet to join in the celebrations! 

How much more blatant cheating goes unpunished by them?

From start to finish the game had a toxic atmosphere to it.

First time in 40 years I've been told to take my woolly hat off and get it searched for concealed weapons! to the bully boy tactics and intimidation trying to leave Tesco car park.

And we are told we need them to make Scottish football stronger.

Why doesn't Regan, Doncaster and the rest put on a Saints/ Patrick/Ross County scarf and go to a match and actually see what the rest of Scottish football has to put up with!!

So every time we give us away a cheap goal as in the last few weeks, we need two to win, a strong defence is a key to a winning team. Up front is a problem and in previous seasons didn't have a Stevie May type forward, we had a strong defence and a midfield chipping in with goals, unless I'm mistaken don't see this happening this season apart from Mikey and when he is out or away in January we are going to struggle (unless we get a few decent players in January window)

I'm not sure how this post I'm typing out will turn out, as I'm using it as a "write it down as I go" type thing. But here's a few losses of note we've had before the end of the year in previous seasons. 

2013/14: 4-0 v United, 4-3 v St Mirren, 4-0 v Motherwell (Jan 1st), a run of two wins in nine league games

2014/15: 3-0 Celtic, a run of two wins in ten league games

2015/16: 4-3 v Hearts, 3-1 v Celtic, 3-0 Celtic, a run of a run of two wins in eight league games

2016/17: 4-2 v Celtic, 4-2 v Ross County, 3-0 v Dundee, a run of three wins in nine league games

2017/18: 3-2 v Dundee, 3-0 v Partick, 3-0 v Aberdeen, 3-0 v Rangers, current run of one win in six league games

That's all TWs seasons with us up until December. 

Don't forget Motherwell, who are now above us.

Don't forget Motherwell, who are now above us.

For the moment, although they've had a relatively easy run of games. Kilmarnock, Partick and Hamilton all in their five league games, they won them, drew with Hibs and lost to Aberdeen. 

Test for them will be when they have their run of games next month. Away to county, Aberdeen, us and then a double header v Celtic.