Partick v Saints 28/10/17

Tranmere Saintee

Accounts to May17 show we have £2.7 million in the bank. FFS Broom open the purse strings and get a decent striker in January or we could be in the s***. Problem is who is going to be available in January. Plus can't see us holding on to MOH as pretty sure McInnes will want to keep him. Broon's penny pinching is possibly going to cost us big style this season!

I don't see how trying to run us at a profit is "penny pinching", there obviously has to be a point where you have to spend money, but I'm not sure what you expect him to do? Spend £1m, which takes seasons upon seasons of success to recoup, on one player? 

I think Wright would have signed Habran if we hadn't signed O'Halloran. The loan at Boulogne was last season, he's still at PSG, so it's not inconceivable that he could come in this January if O'Halloran leaves.

I reckon Simon Murray was the striker that Wright really wanted. After that there was a rumoured list of five or six targets and I'm not sure Johnstone was even on that.

Time to try something different methinks

MOH up top, Spoony and Alston wide, Scougall in centre mid with Muzz. 

We ain't winning heehaw in the air up front anyway, so let's get the ball either over the top or on the ground through the channels to Mikey depending on whether the opposition sit deep or push up

Tommy doesn't do radical though

watching Alston on Tuesday he is not the answer, looks slow and overweight, I know he has been out for a while, but not really fulfilling the promise we hoped and unless improves in next few weeks would punt him in January.

we are certainly at a crossroads too many ageing pros who have been excellent servants over the last few, but no room for sentiment, we need a really good january window, and all talk about strikers is top priority but so is centre mid, Millar appears/ disappears, Murray one tackle from an injury and Paton just not very good, we are crying out for a playmaker

Not asking for millions to be spent. That would be plain stupid. £150k per annum for wages isn't unrealistic though. Also as point made previously striker deal was lined up before end of last season and chairman moved goalposts last minute. I am very much a realist and not expecting  nor want us to blow the funds in a couple of seasons. But just sometimes you do need to speculate to accumulate.

Have to remember Tommy did get his top two targets in the summer.

How did our other big signing target Sammon get on today?

Johnstone seems have been a panic signing after others had fallen through -not been impressed so far but he has hardly had chance

On a side note what happened to Habron looked good while on trial here ?

Habron was too skillful.

I don't think we are asking for millions to be spent on a striker but lets be honest £900/£1000 a week for a SPL level striker isn't going to break the bank, That's not even £50,000 a year!

£50 grand ,the whole of last seasons profit on one player. The reason we only made that was there was too much spent on dross like Hart etc that sat in the stand. He brought in McClean & Hendry  this season who after a few seats on the bench are nowhere to be seen.

We've seen much worse performances against Thistle. Just a bit of great play by Storey, and our lack of decent crosses or killer pass meaning very little is happening for us going forward. We started both halves well, with a few decent moves, mostly down the right, and the injuries knocked us well off our stride in the first half. We actually played a lot more football than we've seen for a few matches, without much end product.

We just need a break to get a bit of confidence going again. Hopefully the fans don't turn against the players and start booing in frustration, they probably need a decent bit of backing and support more now than at any other time. 

Comrie was excellent today, probably our biggest threat going forward. Still finding it frustrating how Liam Craig is the attacking central midfielder ahead of Scougall, but doesn't look like we're going to see ScougZ there anytime soon.

If this turns out to be a transitional season where we comfortably finish outwith relegation in the bottom 6, but have bled a lot of younger players into starting first team performers, and we are shaping a team for the years to come, then I can handle that. Clark, Comrie, Gordon, Shaughnessy, Scougall and one or two others is the foundation of a team that could be around for a while.

The striker situation really needs a lot of attention in January. For all the promising youngsters, it doesn't seem like many on the fringe are attacking midfielders or strikers.

£50 grand ,the whole of last seasons profit on one player. The reason we only made that was there was too much spent on dross like Hart etc that sat in the stand. He brought in McClean & Hendry  this season who after a few seats on the bench are nowhere to be seen.

Now just imagine we had £2,700,000 in the bank and we had an interest rate which is poor at 2% it would still cover £50,000 wages, also remember we have hit £380,000 extra money that was not expected for this year

It's the old chestnut I'm afraid, Broony moans about the poor support and therefore refuses to open his wallet, the support moans about the lack of quality and poor entertainment and stays away so neither side wins. However despite the chains on the finances I still feel that TW got it wrong with what he had. A striker was a priority probably ahead of MOH or even Scougall. The Denny signing was a joke and an example of yet another poor striking decision. We did not need him. Kane is not the best but still offers a different choice to Macca, Cummins and DJ. Would far rather have Kane coming off the bench than DJ. 

Was at the game today. My hope going in to the game was not to let in an early goal & some O'Halloran Magic .... Not much to expect? IMO not much between the teams ... Then the confidence sapping goal.

I think we are a team with no confidence, blighted with an aging squad, half fit injury prone players. A manager unable to field the same team 2 weeks in a row.. It's a sure fire recipe for chaos. 

I have to remind myself that I came away from Celtic Park a few weeks back DISAPPOINTED with only a draw!!! 

Think we should get behind the team in their time of need! Not nice to hear punters in the stand today shouting abuse at Anderson, who for the record quite rightly gave it back! Still not good to witness tho... So COYS ;-) 

It's the old chestnut I'm afraid, Broony moans about the poor support and therefore refuses to open his wallet, the support moans about the lack of quality and poor entertainment and stays away so neither side wins. However despite the chains on the finances I still feel that TW got it wrong with what he had. A striker was a priority probably ahead of MOH or even Scougall. The Denny signing was a joke and an example of yet another poor striking decision. We did not need him. Kane is not the best but still offers a different choice to Macca, Cummins and DJ. Would far rather have Kane coming off the bench than DJ. 

I think we loaned out Kane in the expectation we were about to sign someone (Storey or Sammon). I did hear we had a chance of getting Storey, but then after saying he was available for free, Aberdeen at the last minute stated they wanted a fee and Thistle were prepared to pay it.  Might not be true, just what I heard.

Anyway, I think the Kane loan deal with QOS had already been agreed and Tommy wouldn't want to go into the season with only 2 first team strikers so I guess DJ was one of the few options available.

Far from ideal, but you can see how it happened.

There are people a lot more in the know than me, so I'm happy to be corrected here...

I really don't get what anyone sees in Kane. Plays 90 mins with his back to the goal and at times has the same knowledge of the off side rule as Mark Burchill. Against Sunderland he was caught offside 4 times in under 40 mins - that is a disgrace.  That major aspect of forward play would have been clear as day  to Tommy. Kane is devoid of invention and runs. He was Championship at best and his time at QOS clearly shows he is behind Lyle and Dobbie. The biscuit barrel needs found before January and we collectively need to force it to be opened.

The sole purpose of a football team is to score goals.

Tommy Wright is a God.

im currently having difficulty reconciling these two, indisputable facts.

The St Johnstone way of course is that we will beat Celtic in s 6 - 5 thriller, with Johnstone scoring the winner whilst lying on his back in his own penalty box. 

At least it’s not boring. And remember never forget, we don’t support Rangers. Imagine being a Cnut before you even get out of bed....

I really don't get what anyone sees in Kane. Plays 90 mins with his back to the goal and at times has the same knowledge of the off side rule as Mark Burchill. Against Sunderland he was caught offside 4 times in under 40 mins - that is a disgrace.  That major aspect of forward play would have been clear as day to Tommy. Kane is devoid of invention and runs. He was Championship at best and his time at QOS clearly shows he is behind Lyle and Dobbie. The biscuit barrel needs found before January and we collectively need to force it to be opened.

I think we'd guessed about Kane!

I disagree about your analysis of him. He scored a good goal against Hearts running in behind in the final weeks of the season and surely the very fact he's getting caught offside (one of the best strikers of his generation in Pippo Inzaghi spent his whole life offside) shows he's trying to play on the shoulder and not with his back to goal?

Do I want him starting 38 games a season? No but if you accept we need at least three or four strikers then with our budget, he fills a role in the squad.

The point made by @Gas Monkey above is on money regards the biscuit barrel. We tend to grind things out rather than blow teams away and are struggling to score at the moment, fans don't turn up (barely 2,000 home fans on Tuesday?) so Steve Brown worries about spending money and the cycle continues. We routinely fail to retain our best attacking entertainers though, which isn't the best way to keep or entice fans. If SB pays a fee to keep O'Halloran, are the Perthshire public likely to reward him for it by turning up in greater numbers?

I know we tend to try and defend our crowds but they are really disappointing at the moment.

I think we'd guessed about Kane!

I disagree about your analysis of him. He scored a good goal against Hearts running in behind in the final weeks of the season and surely the very fact he's getting caught offside (one of the best strikers of his generation in Pippo Inzaghi spent his whole life offside) shows he's trying to play on the shoulder and not with his back to goal?

Do I want him starting 38 games a season? No but if you accept we need at least three or four strikers then with our budget, he fills a role in the squad.

The point made by @Gas Monkey above is on money regards the biscuit barrel. We tend to grind things out rather than blow teams away and are struggling to score at the moment, fans don't turn up (barely 2,000 home fans on Tuesday?) so Steve Brown worries about spending money and the cycle continues. We routinely fail to retain our best attacking entertainers though, which isn't the best way to keep or entice fans. If SB pays a fee to keep O'Halloran, are the Perthshire public likely to reward him for it by turning up in greater numbers?

I know we tend to try and defend our crowds but they are really disappointing at the moment.

Agree, the very limited occasions he attempts to play off the shoulder, he is more often than not caught  off side.

watching Alston on Tuesday he is not the answer, looks slow and overweight, I know he has been out for a while, but not really fulfilling the promise we hoped and unless improves in next few weeks would punt him in January.

Short memory?  He was one of our best players last season. Consistently on form.   

We've seen with the Kane/Johnstone swap (and Kane/Morgan previously) that it's not a simple thing to replace guys who play regularly.

If we cleared out the three signed strikers at the club (MacLean, Cummins, Kane) are you confident we'd bring three better players in with our budget? McInnes managed it in 2011 but with a budget I suspect TW can only dream of.

Saints need one good forward signing to compliment the three we have IMO.

Listening to TW after match analysis,Im not really cheered up by his assertions considering we have gone the equivalent of 15 episodes of Coronation St since finding the net.The whole squad needs a lift,a spark and we employ people who have to work out how to do that.COYS

We've had twenty shots in the last two games, ten on target, I'd suggest we're pretty close to ending this "goalless run" and any questions about creating chances has been resolved, to a degree. 

We just went to Firhill, lost two players within half an hour, conceded an absolute wonder goal while a man down, played the majority of the match with a half fit winger, and still had more possession, shots and territory. If Paul Paton had buried his free header against County, we'd all be pretty pleased despite yesterday's result. 

Instead we've got folk demanding we sack the manager and whole squad.