Partick v Saints 28/10/17

Tranmere Saintee

One thing I would point out given a lot of the comments have been quite negative after this match. Last season we beat our top flight points record and that was achieved by the bulk of this squad. The only first team regular we have lost from that side is Swanson, and we've replaced him with Scougall and O'Halloran. We would have liked to have kept Scobbie, but he decided to leave after being offered a significant pay cut.

Given that we're still in the top half of the table and well clear of relegation, I think Tommy and this set of players deserve to be given time to turn things around before we completely hang them out to dry. Yes, we all know Denny Johnstone just isn't good enough in a position that should have been the priority in the summer and that will absolutely have to be addressed in January, but I'd like to think the rest of the squad and the manager have enough credit in the bank to give the club the benefit of the doubt until the January window closes at least.

Come next summer we probably do need to think about clearing out some of the longer terms members of the squad. Whether they are past it or perhaps gone a bit stale, we could probably use some fresh blood/options in a lot of positions. 

I am over the moon that Tommy has got us in the top 6 for past 4 seasons.

It is this season that I am unhappy with & no matter what he has done for us ,Surely we can discuss what is going wrong this season without being demonized.

You're over the moon about achieving top six for the past four seasons, but unhappy about this season... yet we're in the top 6 this season too, and have hit our points target for the first round of matches. Feels a bit like your argument is being unfair in not acknowledging that.

Some people seem to be talking about this season as if it's some sort of disaster, yet we're above Hearts with their massive fanbase and resources, five points better off than Partick who signed the strikers we were after, and seven points above Dundee who we're routinely told make better signings than us (even though they definitely don't). As things stand it could very easily be argued that the manager yet again has us punching above our weight.

It terrifies me to think what the reaction will be like on here when we eventually do have a genuinely bad season.

Forgot to add - I read a post earlier in the thread which said that Tommy should have rebuilt the squad 3 years ago. That was the summer that he wasn't allowed to sign any players until the middle of August because the chairman wouldn't let him. I think Tommy has done quite an incredible job replacing key players that have either being phased out, left or have gone into retirement. Mackay and Wright replaced by Foster (Fisher too) and Shaughnessy (who contributed very well to one of our strongest ever defences last year). May went and we've struggled to replace that individual but we've somehow achieved higher finishing positions and more points than we ever did with May in the team. O'Halloran left, we replaced him with Swanson, then when Swanson left we replaced him with O'Halloran and Scougall. Clark will be Mannus' long term replacement isn't a significant downgrade, Millar can't get into the squad any more because of the options Tommy have brought in to replace him. Finding a long term successor for Maclean is probably our biggest issue and that has proven impossible so far. The club will certainly have to open the purse strings a bit more if the best we can attract is Johnstone and Cummins with the budget we have.

The football isn't always pretty (it rarely is in fact) but Tommy has a pretty remarkable record of maintaining us at what is realistically our highest possible point with one of the lowest budgets in the league. If we regress this year, so be it. I'm sure Tommy will find a way to challenge further up the table again next year.

I don't have a petty personal vendetta ,dislike,hate or anything else.

I do criticise the fact that we have gone 4 seasons & not signed a decent striker.

I do criticise the fact that we have wasted wages on guys that never play.

I do criticise the fact that (I think) he has signed good players wasted them in the wrong position.

I do criticise the fact that we were beat by a poor team in Europe & we have shitfested nearly every game & supplied zero entertainment.

We also took half our support to Dundee & Edinburgh & got beat by poor teams.

Im surprised you have kept it together after these hellish last 4 seasons.! whilst some have had the trauma of renewing their passports for far flung travel to watch the Saintees.! I dont Criticise your Critical Criticism.! Ya EEJIT.! 

I would gladly let our greatest ever manager complete a dodgy season even if we have had our best ever start for whatever reason or luck or whatever some have said .! Sack the Manager .!? as we are only in sixth place.! Sounds like Mordor Speak to Me.!

Manager of the month a few weeks back.. Unlucky with injuries etc.. All other reasons well documented in previous posts.

No one likes to see their team in free fall, but it is cringeworthy ready some reactions on here...

If the truth be told I'd rather he left for Ibroke than suffer the indignity of being sacked from a 'diddy' team!!