Saints v Dundee - Christmas Day 1971

Kevin

Was at Stuart Cosgrove's book signing last night in the Soutar Theatre and he was expounding on the Christmas Day game between Saints and Dundee and that police with dogs had to be released in Scott Street  to separate the battling fans. Anybody got any memories of this match? Went on to be 0-0

I mind no being allowed to go as we were doing stuff on Christmas Day - on way home to Hillyland the gates were open - I just remember that and that it was a real grey day. Crowd was about 6,200 . Memory also recalls there was big trouble around Holland House. Was in the PA. Probs front page :)

Was the Aberdeen New Years Day game not the following week at Muirton too ? Was at it. Crowd 22,500. Mayhem on the terraces at times. We lost 1-0 :(

Was the Aberdeen New Years Day game not the following week at Muirton too ? Was at it. Crowd 22,500. Mayhem on the terraces at times. We lost 1-0 :(

Aberdeen game was the previous January John, same day as Ibrox disaster:sad: 21,000 at it iirc, Jim Forrest scored the only goal, you were right about the battling on terracing though,so 1 out of 3 ain’t bad :laugh: 

I mind no being allowed to go as we were doing stuff on Christmas Day - on way home to Hillyland the gates were open - I just remember that and that it was a real grey day. Crowd was about 6,200 . Memory also recalls there was big trouble around Holland House. Was in the PA. Probs front page :)

Crowd for Dundee game recorded as 7,000.

Team was Robertson, Coburn, Argue, Rennie, Gordon, Rooney, Aird, Mercer, Connelly, Hall, and Aitken.

Sub. Pearson.

Don't remember Mr.Mercer.

Aberdeen game was the previous January John, same day as Ibrox disaster:sad: 21,000 at it iirc, Jim Forrest scored the only goal, you were right about the battling on terracing though,so 1 out of 3 ain’t bad :laugh: 

I remember being at that one.  The police and ambulance folks had a very busy day.  Had a few pages devoted to it in the Evening Telegraph if I remember rightly.