Saints v Celtic 4/11/17

ejksjfc

If only we saw this kind of passion and determination from Paul Paton every week. Might not be in the rut we are in.

Its also a shame that Foster didn’t bring the passion from kicking dressing room doors or fighting with teammates into effect against opposition 

Foster randomly throwing a hissy fit and standing forty yards from goal doing nothing, leaving Comrie to deal with Tierney, Sinclair and Dembele, was inexcusable. Disgraceful from an experienced player, and whatever it is that's caused him to do this a few times this season needs sorted. 

No point reading too much into that game. No doubt folk will be here screaming and crying about us, but really, it was just one of those games against a stronger team.

Foster randomly throwing a hissy fit and standing forty yards from goal doing nothing, leaving Comrie to deal with Tierney, Sinclair and Dembele, was inexcusable. Disgraceful from an experienced player, and whatever it is that's caused him to do this a few times this season needs sorted. 

No point reading too much into that game. No doubt folk will be here screaming and crying about us, but really, it was just one of those games against a stronger team.

With respect it's not just "one of those games"! The mistakes we are making are happening in every game. Yes Celtic are in a different league but the guys on the BBC commentary today were constantly repeating that we cannot do the basic stuff well enough! We make poor decisions, can't take dead balls properly, get in each other's way, can't control the ball properly, under hit passes, overhit passes and so on... we are like this in every game so we can't ignore all of this and brush it off because we are playing Celtic!

Well that was hardly unexpected ( in fact, I went 4-0 Celtic in the predictor) They are a  verygood side, we are a shite side. It doesnae need a rocket scientist to see where it was gonna end up. This is the poorest Saints side I have seen since possibly the year we last went down. To many passengers, too many players who are injury prone, to many players that are needing to drop down a level and a general lack of belief, leadership, tactical nouse and basic footballing skills. We are in trouble, make no mistake and unless there are some positive changes we may end up with  a fight on our hands that I fear we don't have the fight to win.

I do suspect the " nothing to see here " brigade will tell us how good Celtic are etc etc etc..  I am not that sure, They have struggled in a few games recently against Killie and Dundee but it was  certainly easy street today.  I have had enough of Macca, Spoony, Foster, Alston and a few others . No fight at all today. Unable to place simple passes and  not even the tiniest bit of cutting edge.. There were NO positives  yet again today.

With respect it's not just "one of those games"! The mistakes we are making are happening in every game. Yes Celtic are in a different league but the guys on the BBC commentary today were constantly repeating that we cannot do the basic stuff well enough! We make poor decisions, can't take dead balls properly, get in each other's way, can't control the ball properly, under hit passes, overhit passes and so on... we are like this in every game so we can't ignore all of this and brush it off because we are playing Celtic!

That's the same eleven that went toe to toe with Bayern Munich during the week. 

Our team make mistakes, it comes with the territory of being a small team with no money. Go to any game in the country today and you'll see the exact same mistakes, only difference is Celtic are a class above and can actually take advantage of it. 

We're in dreadful form and really struggling, but let's not start slitting our wrists over that performance today. 

Edited by RandomGuy

Not getting too worked up about today.  First time in a long while I feel we had no fight at home. Usually I feel we are competitive v celric and good to get something. But today we pussied it.  Clearly goal difference was Tommy only concern. Certainly didn't want to go toe to toe or dare say go and win it.   

Will MOH early goals keep him top scorer at end of season as the last 2 months have been tough... 

Happy with Clark, Comrie and Tanser today.. others tried but not great.  Foster looked lost. Alston particulaly absent. Macca just lost up top himself.

Time to regroup then create fuc all at Hubs next time out.

I don't think anyone  would look at that game in isolation and be wanting to  self harm but  as part of our current run of awfulness, it adds to the angst.. We are shite right now and have been for most of the season and as has been stated , the mistakes that cost us today are  the same mistakes we are making every week.. No amount of sugar coating, bluff, or bluster is gonna change this fact.

That's the same eleven that went toe to toe with Bayern Munich during the week. 

Our team make mistakes, it comes with the territory of being a small team with no money. Go to any game in the country today and you'll see the exact same mistakes, only difference is Celtic are a class above and can actually take advantage of it. 

We're in dreadful form and really struggling, but let's not start slitting our wrists over that performance today. 

We are indeed in dreadful form and struggling but against every team not just Celtic that's my point. The poor performance today is every bit as relevant as the poor performances against Dundee, Ross County etc etc. We are in trouble and I just hope we can find something or someone to get us out of this 

I don't think anyone  would look at that game in isolation and be wanting to  self harm but  as part of our current run of awfulness, it adds to the angst.. We are shite right now and have been for most of the season and as has been stated , the mistakes that cost us today are  the same mistakes we are making every week.. No amount of sugar coating, bluff, or bluster is gonna change this fact.

Yup. Neither is folk completely blowing performances out of proportion though. We've been solid at the back for the few games before this, yet we're apparently now conceding hundreds every match and everyone should retire. 

Not sure we've been 'solid' at the back at all for a good while.

Tommy not giving Gordon a start over Ando is frustrating

Previously three games we'd conceded a heavily deflected goal and then Storey just having more raw pace than Shaughnessy. Defence, to me, isn't a huge issue. It's the inability to score first which is causing problems. 

Guest ScottMann

I'm not getting carried away in a negative sense because of the current run just as I didn't get carried away positively with our 'magnificent unbeaten start to the season' when we'd already been kicked out of two cup competitions and folk were overlooking that.

We haven't played well from literally the very start of the season, Trakai, and have only played quite well in a short spell. I've always felt we'd dip this season as time marched on but that we'd finish in 5th - 8th position. I certainly don't see us being relegated or finishing in a play off position. This is the worst spell for years but we'll come out of it and enjoy mid table obscurity for once.

Because before, we saw hope, we saw green shoots we saw bad luck.. This time we see none of these things..  I still don't think that many actually are calling for TW to gert binned but we are calling on him to sort it out. As for the whole club emptied, again not quite. We have some decent young players to build a squad round but up to 8 of the current squad need to either be moved on or have their roles reduced..  I think we all know who they are.

Lost count the amount of times Spoony &Macca had easy passes that got intercepted by Celtic to go on attack.

Macca,Ando & Foster are past their sell by date. How McLean got to stay on for 90mins. We started pumping high balls when we went behind & Macca never made an attempt to reach any of them.

Comrie probably our best player but he wouldn't have got in the team if Foster not banned.

Saints will not be judged on games against Celtic & if McLean had equalised with easy chance before they got their second then you never know.

At least we won't get beat next week unless Tommy arranges a friendly. Hope he isn't giving them time off & has them in to practice corners,free kicks & defending.

We've been through this before, though. I'm just finding it odd that for some reason this time we've got folk all over the place screaming for TWs head and wanted the whole club emptied. 

I think if you look back it's been pretty much the same every time we've had these spells.

I agree that the defence for the most part is fine, it's the lack of creating anything which is frustrating. Until MOH finds his form again this looks like it will be an ongoing issue, as we all suspected with our (lack of) striker recruitment over the past 2-3 windows. Not even trying Scougall in the central position off the striker is as frustrating as anything I can remember during Tommy's tenure. I'm not saying it'll suddenly make us world beaters and solve all our problems, but it's his strongest position and where he's played really effectively elsewhere, and he was brought in to be a creative presence in midfield..

Don't agree at all there was no fight from our squad today. We were just up against a squad of players who were too quick, too strong, too well organised and too good.  We did okay for 69 minutes, but were pushing on a bit more in the second half which was always going to make a Celtic goal on the counter a distinct possibility. The last 20 minutes wer painful to sit through, but I'd rather that than we sat in the full game and settled for 0-1.

I couldn't pick out a single Saints player who showed a lack of heart in those first 70 minutes, there was plenty of effort. I saw foster have a hissy fit after a goal, but I didn't think there was a lack of effort from him as someone mentioned above.  Just a lack of quality from us, and being up against a very good team in great form. After the second goal the game was done and the heads inevitably dropped. Shouldn't be the sole focus from that game though.

Agree with a lot of what @PauloPerth says above. Thought the plan was clear today and in a defensive sense, executed pretty well for 70 minutes. The players did their jobs and with the right attitude to boot. The heads went down after the second goal but that's nothing new. We didn't use the little ball we did have well enough. Disappointing but again nothing too unusual against Celtic. 

I really don't see what is achieved by what almost becomes a competition to see who can forecast the most gloom. Worst side in 15 years is an absolutely laughable claim. We have a good manager and he'll see us right.

It was inevitable that our purple patch of amazing seasons would finally end. I predict a scramble just to avoid relegation followed by relegation next season on a par with our last time we fell into the lower league. Wether TW can inspire a tired old squad I doubt it unless SB spends some money and gets some fresh faces in on January along with getting our talented players fit and back to self belief it will probably happen this season so The Championship ... More attacking football along with better games and fierce competition maybe it will inspire our poor support to come back. Nevertheless let's not be surprised you all know it was bound to happen. Or will it........

Honestly it may but right now were 6 points clear of the Play Off and going through a terrible patch of bad form that will end just when lets hope its soon...

Early kick off.. home before 3pm kick off.  First time looking at the 3pm games and wanting all the teams above us to win...  eyes fixed firmly on teams below us. Hope none pick up points.  All teams above us can keep pulling away.

Wow!   That's my Saturday afternoons for the foreseeable, looking down..