Scottish cup 4th round draw Monday 4.45

Cagey

Good professional performance, great to visit an old school ground like Cliftonhill for the first time in ages. 

First half we played it like a junior match, constant punts up the park, whereas Rovers tried to get it down to play a bit. Their number 9 (was that Shields, didn't catch the team lines?) looked good.

Second half was a different story, we were professional and very comfortable in the end.  Kane, Johnstone, Kyle McLean and Davidson were all good for us.

A game we obviously should be winning, but still good to get a bit of positivity going, to get a bit of match fitness, blood some younger lads whilst hopefully not picking up anymore injuries.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening, and if we could be dropped in the draw in the first round of the Scottish Cup (not thru being relegated though!) every season so we get more opportunities to visit lower league grounds then that would be great. 

That was good. Worked hard, Kane looks a far more astute player since his spell in Dumfries. Good backing by the fans and a nice return to Coatbridge.

Johnstone and Kane looks best option until McMillan is fit again. Players that came in, took their chance. Great to get a clean sheet tae

Easy. Perfect start. Wish we could start league games with goals. Put Rovers back immediately. Rovers grew slowly into first half and competed well without any threat. We kept playing balls over the top turning their defence but not bearing any chances first half. Tough watch for me.

Second half we dominated. Kane looked sharp, match fit all game. Deserved his goals. Only groan I have was the constant long throws from Joe in the first half, bit of variation would have been good. And I'd liked to have seen more 'football' instead of being direct.  But can understand why direct given a few poorly timed challenges by them. 

Good effort by all. Can't recall a game where our keeper was so quiet for 90 minutes like this game..  

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Good professional performance, great to visit an old school ground like Cliftonhill for the first time in ages. 

First half we played it like a junior match, constant punts up the park, whereas Rovers tried to get it down to play a bit. Their number 9 (was that Shields, didn't catch the team lines?) looked good.

Second half was a different story, we were professional and very comfortable in the end.  Kane, Johnstone, Kyle McLean and Davidson were all good for us.

A game we obviously should be winning, but still good to get a bit of positivity going, to get a bit of match fitness, blood some younger lads whilst hopefully not picking up anymore injuries.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening, and if we could be dropped in the draw in the first round of the Scottish Cup (not thru being relegated though!) every season so we get more opportunities to visit lower league grounds then that would be great. 

Spot on summery.

2 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Brian's having a field day at the moment!
Last @St_Johnstone_FC hat trick AWAY from home was Peter MacDonald v Motherwell in 3 - 1 win on Boxing Day 2009 . That was a perfect hat trick if my memory serves me correctly.

Last AWAY hat trick in Scottish Cup was Jim Pearson in 6 - 1 win over Forfar Athletic at Station Park in 1974

I think for Kano the best stat (though you might have to teach him some history), last Scottish cup away hat trick was by the great Jim Pearson in 1974. Well done Kano and welcome back. Here is hoping you can emulate the career of Mr Pearson

Edited by PanamaSaint

Kane looked sharp on Saturday and proved it tonight. Excellent display and credit to Denny Johnstone who worked his socks off creating space for Kane. Possible partnership?

Credit to all the young lads too. Gordon the pick of the defenders. Kerr comfortable. Maclean grew into the game and tried to pass the  ball. Really liked the look of Ali McCann. He was battering into challenges like nothing else and showed good composure. Nice to see positives.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It was 3 at the back with Liam Craig and Blair Alston as wing backs.

They started with Liam playing deeper. Even when they were doing the warm up the they were doing the usual with the back 4 practising together.  Admittedly in the second half we went to a clear 3 at the back.

4 minutes ago, mainstand said:

They started with Liam playing deeper. Even when they were doing the warm up the they were doing the usual with the back 4 practising together.  Admittedly in the second half we went to a clear 3 at the back.

Going into the twilight zone here, but it was a back four without the ball, and a back three with the ball. Alston never dropped as deep as Craig was dropping, and then both pushed right up the park when we attacked with Joe staying back. 

I quite liked the look of it, tbh. 

11 minutes ago, south inch said:

Interesting that Joe's long throws caused problems last night.  Perhaps we just caught Albion by surprise, SPL defenders are maybe better prepared.

Been that long since we used him to that effect In the Premiership, could be doing with it tbh. 

Interesting to see how the young lads got on last night. Thought Gordon looked pretty comfortable all night and Kerr had a few 'scares' in the first half but was decent. Joe looked the most uncomfortable of the three at the back.

McClean came onto a game more as the game went on and took his goal well. Quite impressed with McCann when he came on, ok the opposition wasn't the best, but he didn't look out of place.

Kane can't really be described as a youngster anymore, but he led the line very well and seems to have learned from his loan. Took his goals very well.

A little disappointed with Alston but perhaps the wing back role was new to him. Same with Craig in the first half, although he was better in the second (thought he was offside for Kane's second).

All-in-all given the run we have been on and the negative vibes around it was a good comfortable win.

Not sure we will see the same line up at the weekend though.

1 hour ago, MrBored said:

A little disappointed with Alston but perhaps the wing back role was new to him.

Not sure if it is worth pulling it into the Alston thread but I felt the same.

He doesn't seem to have kicked on this season at all - not many have to be fair.

From what I understand he never played right wing for Falkirk. At this rate I can't see any value in renewing his contract.