Should the players try and shoot more from outside the box - aye or naw?

Wee Mental Davie

Time after time in every game the players opt for trying to walk the ball into the net. Think the only person who actually tries and beat the keeper from outside the box is Spoony, and I'm not just talking about Saturday's game.

Is it just me or should we see more players try and have a dig when they're in space outside the box?

Interesting post. I was thiinking when was the last time Liam scored with a long range effort ? It was a feature of his game and he scored some crackers. 

He's a completely different midfielder to the one who scored that screamer in Dunfermline 10 year ago.

By shooting outside the box, I literally mean the opportunities we don't take a yard or two from the box, rather than opting for a 40-yard screamer.

As was said earlier, if you don't shoot you don't score.

I'm a believer in having a go if you are not being closed down.

Even if you are, there's always the chance of a deflected shot finding the net, or going thru the defender's legs past an unsighted  keeper.

On loads of televised games recently, the latter has happened. 

C.o.y.s.

Aye.

Tanser had a couple of wild efforts yesterday as well, but if you don't shoot, you don't score

I applauded Tanser and praised him for having a go at the game. Ultimately they were pretty poor attempts, but at least he put his foot through it and had a go. There was an occasion on Saturday where MacLean was 19/20 yards out and a clear sight of goal and he opted to try and pass it out wide. If you sclaff  or it takes a deflection it may go in or end up a tap in for someone else. By not shooting we’re not giving others the chance to pounce on scraps that may fall. 

He's a completely different midfielder to the one who scored that screamer in Dunfermline 10 year ago..

This. Its odd whats happened to him. Hes gone from a ten goal a season wide man, to a total water carrier in the middle. I blame Hibs for trying to make him some form of playmaker, as its ruined him.

This. Its odd whats happened to him. Hes gone from a ten goal a season wide man, to a total water carrier in the middle. I blame Hibs for trying to make him some form of playmaker, as its ruined him.

I had to double check how old he is. Only 30, should still be a top player and not "past it."

he was only 20/21 when first joining Saints.

..when was the last time Liam scored with a long range effort ? It was a feature of his game and he scored some crackers. 

I had to double check how old he is. Only 30, should still be a top player and not "past it."

he was only 20/21 when first joining Saints.

Hmmm... Did we not play him as a left-back?

In fact, when he scored “that screamer” v Dunfermline I’m fairly sure he was left back that season.

In fact, when he scored “that screamer” v Dunfermline I’m fairly sure he was left back that season.

He was left back during the promotion season, I'm sure. Played almost exclusively on the left of a four the rest of the time though

He had been playing left back that season, but at the time he scored that goal, he’d been moved into midfield about 10 minutes prior. Talk about tactical masterstroke. Pretty sure Gary Irvine scored a screamer at EEP that year as well. 

I read a while ago that Pep Guardiola didn't want his players shooting from outside the box, as statistically it's very ineffective. He was a manic ocd type who analysed everything to the smallest detail. 

Personally, I'd probably prefer a long range shot than the hopeful crosses from far too deep that we often see when we're chasing games, that just look like the player has run out of ideas.

So much talk about it so had to search it out again. Two cracking goals to take us top of the league, was a cracking day out - 

1.50 for the Liam show.

Liam usedto be a good goal scoring option with a lethal left foot & you could rely on him for a few goals a season.

What's happened ?.