Pre Match in Perth for home games

PanamaSaint

Is it just me but I thought the players would have normally arrived in Perth for pre match mid morning say by 10.30 ?

What are the lessons learned though ?

Now I know we can't go back to the Jim MaClean or Jock Stein days of players living within a stone throw of McD or we would never sign anybody but bloody hell 

The players should be arriving for a game at least as the same time as training. Or does Broon open his pockets and have them staying overnight for match days 

A wise man would say they should be in Perth the night before a game.  You never know what may happen on the morning of a match.  Especially with a lot more traffic on the roads today since say Jock Stein's or Jim MaClean's day.  We all know how bad traffic can mess up our plans.  Sounds like they were maybe late in hitting the road??

Is it just me but I thought the players would have normally arrived in Perth for pre match mid morning say by 10.30 ?

What are the lessons learned though ?

Now I know we can't go back to the Jim MaClean or Jock Stein days of players living within a stone throw of McD or we would never sign anybody but bloody hell 

The players should be arriving for a game at least as the same time as training. Or does Broon open his pockets and have them staying overnight for match days 

They'll all be living within an hour or so of Perth....no Panama City!!

surely they should be turning up well before 1300 for a game - get a thorough briefing, light lunch ( I'm sure Broon could stretch to a bowl of pasta for them) and a rocket up their arse so they start a game at 1500 rather than 1640!!

times TW toughened the regime a bit.

Over and out !

Keep it the way it is. Why bother changing it to impact others.  It was a sad set of circumstances. Never heard of it happen in all my days watching Saints.

Mountain out of a mole hill... in fact mountain out of a worm hill.

Tommy is the only one to come out of this in any negative light. Eejit at the time.  It wasn' deliberate to miss the start!

I would hope that Tommy would admit he was out of order but I doubt it.

No sign of it in his remarks today which are all over the place.  It does seem clear that the players are told they must be at McD by 1.30 which was a problem waiting to happen.  In one breath Tommy says a problem like this has never happened in 300 games and in the next he is praising players who turn up early.  Despite Tommy claiming that telling the players to be at the ground by 12 pm would be no better, the plain fact is that another 90 minutes of leeway reduces considerably the risk of a problem.  It also means he has more time to react to last minute niggles not to mention ensuring the b**g*rs eat a suitable lunch and don't grab a fish supper in Auchterarder at one o'clock.

I remember in the early mid sixties seeing the players in Perth at 11am or so on a Saturday morning. They would all be at Muirton by 1pm and these are the days before warm ups etc. The players dressed in their suits would then walk out on the pitch and dig their heel into the turf at about 2pm and that was that. 

Most players traveled by train, don’t remember any coming by car. Ormond was the first manager who sent the team out early say fifteen minutes before kickoff and they warmed up on the pitch.

In 1987 coming back from a cup game with Albion Rovers about this time of year there was a fatal accident about 50 yards in front of us and we didn’t move for over 2 hours. The cars further behind were diverted so although delayed managed back to Perth sooner. I remember the emergency services used the central reservation to get to the accident.

To get back to the subject I think they should meet at 12pm and have lunch together. Most supporters leave in good time for away games to make sure they don’t miss the start of the match. So you would hope the players would be keen enough to be early for games.

Kilmarnock apparently traveled on Friday, which shows how seriously they took the fixture. Do we as a club ever travel the night before to a domestic match. When will the team leave for the game at Ross County on the 27th of December? At least its an evening game.

Sorry about all the rambling on.

No sign of it in his remarks today which are all over the place.  It does seem clear that the players are told they must be at McD by 1.30 which was a problem waiting to happen.  In one breath Tommy says a problem like this has never happened in 300 games and in the next he is praising players who turn up early.  Despite Tommy claiming that telling the players to be at the ground by 12 pm would be no better, the plain fact is that another 90 minutes of leeway reduces considerably the risk of a problem.  It also means he has more time to react to last minute niggles not to mention ensuring the b**g*rs eat a suitable lunch and don't grab a fish supper in Auchterarder at one o'clock.

Yeah,he was also annoyed that he lost a most important player up front which was bound to have an effect. If that was the case then O'Halloran should have been brought on in second half. The only reason he wasn't brought on was because of a stubborn barsteward who through his toys out the pram.

Really surprises me that Saints players are allowed to plan to arrive as late as 1.30pm for a 3pm kick-off. 

There are Fans travelling before 9am to a lot of games throughout the season, hardly any sleep, breakfast on the train, Liquid lunch etc. If the fans can make an effort surely the players can too.

I've coached at all levels of the game and normally Full Time senior players would meet about 11 (for home games) at the ground for light lunch or a massage before the game and Part Time Seniors would normally be 2 hours before. so I feel 1:30 is late. Even at junior level I had my team meet 2 hours before the game. Pro Youth is a little different and it is and hour and a half before the game but there is more admin to do there.