St.Johnstone v Aberdeen - 13th December

SaintJet

Sorry to be negative Tommy but that was dreadful.

Aberdeen were faster,sharper & more streetwise.

We can't pass the ball,control the ball & every time we win the ball it lands at the oppositions feet.

Macca  is now 2 yards off the pace in thought & action but Tommy still plays him.

We are lacking confidence ,which I think is the biggest problem.

Never mind we are away on Saturday.Our home form is pathetic.

What has happened to Clark ?. Last season I was touting him for Scotland but this season he has steadily got worse. Last season he controlled his box & took every cross. He is now stuck on the line.

Rank rotten sadly  Aberdeen streets ahead of us . 3 easy points given away again.

gifted goals and not looking like scoring . 10 mins before half time only bit fight and challenge put in. 2nd half was like a meaningless pre season game. 

Tommy please play midge we need someone who can keep the ball and pass. Scougall our best player again.

Mikey will we miss him when he returns to the Rangers ? Not giving enough for me

Defence is everywhere. God I wish we still had Scobbie.

I'll reserve my fkn anger until I hear Tommy speak about the positivity

Tommy has spoken..

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright on BBC Radio Scotland: "It’s same old, same old.

"I'm like a broken record. We’ve got to do better. We’ve got to do better in that first goal. We allow Aberdeen to get possession off the throw-in too easily.

"We get sucked to the ball and leave a player of Rooney's calibre free in the box. That can't happen. It can’t. And that’s down to people not taking responsibility.

"Taking nothing away from Aberdeen. They're a good side, but too often I coming out to say the same things – we’re making silly mistakes.

SNS
St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright insists his side has "got to do better".

"We’ve just had a good chat in there about it. It’s almost as if we’ve lost a wee bit of what we’re about. Not belief.

"I know managers at big clubs used to say to me that they used to hate coming here and used to hate playing against us.

"You could argue that you maybe want to be playing against us this season."

Abysmal.

I dread home games these days. Zero entertainment for a while now and more worrying a massive lack of heart put in to games. 

Tommy has said we will be having a big January window if things don't improve which gives me the fear as our signing policy when not under duress is very hit and miss at best.

Remember when Ranieri achieved the impossible, winning the league against massive odds, beating teams with a far superior budget

The following season, Leicester were awful. Dropping down the league, no performance, no belief, skirting dangerously with the relegation places

The board sacked him. Pundits, players, press were in shock. How could they do such a thing??

A few months later, many of them in hindsight were praising the Board as Leicester found new life and turned it around. A brave, but probably correct move

Ranieri will always be a hero to the Leicester fans. The Board didn't let sentiment stand in the way

Are we there yet? You know what, maybe we are. Is this team looking like coming out of what is a real slump? Will it be too late before any reaction is forthcoming?

Im not accepting the 'we are a yo yo club and it's bound to happen one day" stuff, nor am I not a real 'fan'. I'm also not fanatical or blinkered 

If I was to say something positive, it would be that we could have been beaten by more than 3. However, this is down to Aberdeen being able to beat us and still have gears they could go up through. They didn’t have to be good to beat us.

There is absolutely no heart in that saints team, which is something you couldn’t accuse this team of in the last few years.

I think the balance (mental) is off when we have Foster in the team and (on pitch) balance off when we have Paton playing. Both make us a worse team.

We really lack a leader on the pitch to get the guys sorted out. Cheep goals being lost and you see the players all blaming each other.

Big transfer window for Tommy as we really really need a striker (in addition to the one we have signed) and a creative central midfielder. Arguably a centre back too. 

Dire.

Cannot find any positive in tonights (for lack of a better word) Performance.

Noted comment regarding Zander Clark staying on line and not commanding box.  In my opinion this must be down to goalkeeping coaching as Zander used to come for cross balls, quickly set up attacks  but not now.  Similar to Mannus .

Our midfield was not good enough and changes need to be made.  Clear out needed and a replacement for Midgey found.

Now the time for TW to prove how good a manager he is and get the team playing the Saints way again.  Good Luck.

Remember when Ranieri achieved the impossible, winning the league against massive odds, beating teams with a far superior budget

The following season, Leicester were awful. Dropping down the league, no performance, no belief, skirting dangerously with the relegation places

The board sacked him. Pundits, players, press were in shock. How could they do such a thing??

A few months later, many of them in hindsight were praising the Board as Leicester found new life and turned it around. A brave, but probably correct move

Ranieri will always be a hero to the Leicester fans. The Board didn't let sentiment stand in the way

Are we there yet? You know what, maybe we are. Is this team looking like coming out of what is a real slump? Will it be too late before any reaction is forthcoming?

Im not accepting the 'we are a yo yo club and it's bound to happen one day" stuff, nor am I not a real 'fan'. I'm also not fanatical or blinkered 

He probably deserves January. I'm honestly at the stage where I won't be hugely heartbroken if he accepts the NI job and we get a fresh manager in amongst the players (as in not Callum Davidson).

Thats not me saying hes shite, or that I want him sacked, just that I feel like we're suffering due to his familiarity with the team.Hes persisting with players like Anderson and MacLean, who have struggled horrendously this season, because they've always been in his teams.

He probably deserves January. I'm honestly at the stage where I won't be hugely heartbroken if he accepts the NI job and we get a fresh manager in amongst the players (as in not Callum Davidson).

Thats not me saying hes shite, or that I want him sacked, just that I feel like we're suffering due to his familiarity with the team.Hes persisting with players like Anderson and MacLean, who have struggled horrendously this season, because they've always been in his teams.

Agreed, he's not suddenly a poor manager. Sometimes things just run their course

We shouldn't be beating Aberdeen as they have paid good money for most of their players & able to pay for decent loaners.

We shop in the basement bargain department & it shows.

Having said that we have done well against them in the past but this season we are shit.

Tommy says: "We’ve just had a good chat in there about it. It’s almost as if we’ve lost a wee bit of what we’re about."

aye your head was turned on managerial vacancies and speculation.. No one has come calling and you've taken your eye off the ball.  Buck stops at TW.  That's the wee bit we are missing, the auld TW. 

Edited by Dave H

We shouldn't be beating Aberdeen as they have paid good money for most of their players & able to pay for decent loaners.

We shop in the basement bargain department & it shows.

Having said that we have done well against them in the past but this season we are shit.

Its an easy excuse. Them having a bigger budget doesn't mean we can't pass the ball five yards, nor does it stop us marking players.

Not convinced Tommy is going to pick up any players in January thats going to change our season going by his signings over the past 8 or 9 transfer windows.

No fight, no dig , no passion. Yards off the pace, workrate wasn't there tonight, very little attempt to close down the Dons. Passing was abysmal. No-one looking for the ball and no bite or drive from midfield. Thought Scougall was our best player but he is going to get frustrated at the lack of support. Mikey not at the races today either. Body language of the team didn't look good, seems like a huge lack of belief/confidence. Perhaps I am being cynical but has the heart or team spirit been damaged since Chris Millar was effectively dropped/told he wouldn't feature very often. Tonight we were crying out for his style of play. Frozen stiff and a late night drive back to Dundee. Badly need a refreshed team and on this form we will definitely be bottom 6 .

Edited by Jad

As fans of St Johnstone we're apparently not allowed to be negative so the only positive thing I can say about that performance is that Andos impersonation of a Brazilian playmaker at 3 or 4 points in the second half was about the only thing that even remotely entertained me. Oh, and my Pie was brilliant.

Was that even a positive comment? Who knows. I'm also positive we were absolutely honking, again, at home. 

"Our midfield was not good enough and changes need to be made.  Clear out needed and a replacement for Midgey found."

Why find a replacement he's still at the club fit and wanting to play . He's contracted to the end of the season, just not being picked to play.

I strongly feel that Tommy is at a stage similar to Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs. The "project" has probably run its course at Perth. TW has been extremely successful but the success would appear to be coming to an end. He deserves his move to the NI job and then we take the gamble of who replaces him. I have a feeling this will happen during the first half of New Year.

Onwards and Upwards.

Noted comment regarding Zander Clark staying on line and not commanding box.  In my opinion this must be down to goalkeeping coaching as Zander used to come for cross balls, quickly set up attacks  but not now.  Similar to Mannus.

Indeed, Tommy said in an interview that he believes a keeper doesn't need to command his box.

Sorry to be negative Tommy but that was dreadful.

Aberdeen were faster,sharper & more streetwise.

We can't pass the ball,control the ball & every time we win the ball it lands at the oppositions feet.

Macca  is now 2 yards off the pace in thought & action but Tommy still plays him.

We are lacking confidence ,which I think is the biggest problem.

Never mind we are away on Saturday.Our home form is pathetic.

What has happened to Clark ?. Last season I was touting him for Scotland but this season he has steadily got worse. Last season he controlled his box & took every cross. He is now stuck on the line.

That's what the coaches want 

We are definitely a team in transition. More seasoned managers would find this a challenge! Couple that with a frugal board & you know the outcome isn't going to be good..

Not that throwing copious amounts of cash around is the answer either!

Personally injuries/suspensions/aging team/reluctance to invest in the team have all conspired  to provide the perfect storm!

I think we are a team who are playing with no confidence & once on the park whatever direction they are given is promptly forgotten! It was difficult to take any positives from last night, suffice to say Aberdeen will not be handed an easier 3 points!

My fear is Tommy gets hacked off & moves on as I don't think we would be able to attract a better manager!! Even he looked a bit defeated last night.