St.Johnstone v Aberdeen - 13th December

SaintJet

I could not agree more. Too many people on this noticeboard with rose tinted glasses. We are miserable and going back wards. Any other teams fans would be crying for change but because we won the cup years ago it seems that is never going to be on the agenda with the "we love Tommy brigade". At what point does reality kick in and we realise that this team simply isn't good enough. 

Yes all we've done in the past 4 years is one lucky Cup win, that's it.

And how in the name of the wee man does your smug comeback help with the current state of the team?

How does any of what's discussed on a forum ever help with the state of the team?

I'd say it was a perfectly reasonable comeback, given the previous poster's implication that all Tommy has achieved is one Cup win.

Personally I think what Wed night's game showed is that the financial gap between us & teams like Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts is growing which is making it increasingly difficult for us to compete with them. We have the 10th largest budget in the league & while our budget may be growing it isn't growing fast enough to ensure we can continue to challenge these teams over the course of a season. We can still achieve a surprise result against these teams but we no longer have the strength in depth in our squad to match theirs particularly when we lose key players through injury or suspension or simply loss of form. Our core fan base has stuck at 2500-3000 even after we won the cup & that just isn't enough to bring in the revenue required to keep up  with these clubs. Even Dundee have a top 6 budget which so far hasn't produced the required results.

And how in the name of the wee man does your smug comeback help with the current state of the team?

It doesn't. And as Blueheaven says, neither does anyone else's.

The team is playing badly, and if folk want to criticise then that's fair enough. The style of football has been pretty hard to watch for the past season and a half.

But to go on a rant that the only reason some fans back Tommy Wright is because of a Cup win 3 1/2 years ago is quite clearly as big a pile of nonsense as anyone could come out with. 

We've been in Europe 7 (?) seasons in our history. In 4 full seasons in charge, the current manager took us there on 3 of those.

We finished 4th for the past 3 seasons in a row.  Other than two separate 3rd place finishes, that's the highest position we've achieved since the premier league started in 1975, so to do it in 3 consecutive seasons is no mean feat.

No one is untouchable, but he's easily the most successful manager in our history, so let's not downplay that simply because things aren't going well just now.

Yes we are going through a difficult period and yes some players are off the pace but we were not as bad as made out. Aberdeen were buzzing and their confidence grew throughout the match but we lost two goals from set pieces - great corner from Stevie May and deflected free kick. The first goal loss was the big error and that lead to lack of confidence but we played a lot better than against Hamilton and we played good football at times so was not by a long way our worst ever performance. I think issue is we do not believe we can come back from going down because we are lacking in a striking threat - this both deflates our defence and increases the confidence of the opposition. Get behind the team as they have not gone bad overnight and Tommy is still a great manager - give them our support!

You said it Mate.!

It doesn't. And as Blueheaven says, neither does anyone else's.

The team is playing badly, and if folk want to criticise then that's fair enough. The style of football has been pretty hard to watch for the past season and a half.

But to go on a rant that the only reason some fans back Tommy Wright is because of a Cup win 3 1/2 years ago is quite clearly as big a pile of nonsense as anyone could come out with. 

We've been in Europe 7 (?) seasons in our history. In 4 full seasons in charge, the current manager took us there on 3 of those.

We finished 4th for the past 3 seasons in a row.  Other than two separate 3rd place finishes, that's the highest position we've achieved since the premier league started in 1975, so to do it in 3 consecutive seasons is no mean feat.

No one is untouchable, but he's easily the most successful manager in our history, so let's not downplay that simply because things aren't going well just now.

In Tommy we Still Trust.! waited nearly half a century for today.! Another thing I gave up hope on seeing.! personally Our day in May in 2017 was enough for me to trust in Tommy as long as he wanted to stay in Perth no matter what results befell us.!

Stick tae Painting on a Saturday.!

It's called "being in denial" friend...

Yes we are going through a difficult period and yes some players are off the pace but we were not as bad as made out. Aberdeen were buzzing and their confidence grew throughout the match but we lost two goals from set pieces - great corner from Stevie May and deflected free kick. The first goal loss was the big error and that lead to lack of confidence but we played a lot better than against Hamilton and we played good football at times so was not by a long way our worst ever performance. I think issue is we do not believe we can come back from going down because we are lacking in a striking threat - this both deflates our defence and increases the confidence of the opposition. Get behind the team as they have not gone bad overnight and Tommy is still a great manager - give them our support!

You said it Mate.!

In Tommy we Still Trust.! waited nearly half a century for today.! Another thing I gave up hope on seeing.! personally Our day in May in 2017 was enough for me to trust in Tommy as long as he wanted to stay in Perth no matter what results befell us.!

I preferred May 17 in 2014,but each to their own