St Johnstone v Partick Thistle, 27 January 2018

PanamaSaint

33 minutes ago, PanamaSaint said:

Do we have time to wait to see if things click ?

It is going to be a brutal post split. Are this lot up for it ?

Sadly I don’t think so... we beat Sevco... Aberdeen couldn’t, we get a draw against ‘Sellick’ how the heck did we manage that! I was at the game & came away disappointed we only got the draw! Who knows with Saints... personally I would rather be beating teams like Partick, Hamilton, Dundee, after all anything taken from the top 3 are a bonus... the real bread & butter Is beating the bottom half teams... I fear  we don’t have the fight for the play offs

Edited by Wendy Saints

I want to blame the players, i really do but the body language of the players for the first 15 mins at home really concerns me. We stand off teams and let them dictate the game. Dropping too deep. We should have been behind after 80 seconds today. What has the manager done to address that? Why are they not fired up? Flying into tackles, unsettling the opposition? We NEED to start on the front foot at home and set the tone but Tommy has us set up like some 45 year old counterpuncher looking for a last knock out, trying to hang in there from 5 seconds in.

I'm really concerned about what direction Tommy is taking us in. We've been too loyal, handing out contracts to players we should have moved on which has left our midfield old, slow and bloated. Big changes needed but we need to move players on. Time for the young lads to get a chance.

55 minutes ago, PanamaSaint said:

So if Watson is so obviously unfit and out of shape, why was Comrie not in the starting line up instead ? 

Tommy's decision. Says it all. Maybe he showed up well when they played with themselves. Must have been up against Wotherspoon who is even slower than him.

2 hours ago, PanamaSaint said:

Who is stupid enough to push an opponents defender when we are taking a shot directly at goal from a direct free kick ?

Red obviously thought a Saints player was pushing or jostling an opposition player and gave them the benefit by chalking off the goal...never mind these things even out over the season !! Not!

10 minutes ago, Pelosi said:

Red obviously thought a Saints player was pushing or jostling an opposition player and gave them the benefit by chalking off the goal...never mind these things even out over the season !! Not!

Didn't we get three penalties in one game for this sort of behavior at the beginning of last season ?

That team looked very makeshift and that performance stunk of makeshift.

I'm not one for big reactions after a defeat, but today convinced me of a few things that I probably didn't want to admit.

The main one-

Steven MacLean's time is over. He simply doesn't offer enough at this level anymore. At one time he would of been the first name on my team sheet, but those days are over.

We look too vulnerable at the back. Watson was dire at full back and Comrie was thrown in the deep end. Ando's distribution was terrible at points.

The midfield was too open, the wide men not only didn't support our full-backs enough, but also lacked any cutting edge down the wings (which was desperately needed as Thistle flooded the middle of the park brilliantly). Scougall is by far our most creative player, but there simply is very little to feed. Interesting that the very first time we had a striker willing to make a run past the centre back it resulted in a penalty.

On the plus side Chris Kane looked like the loan spell has added alot to his game. He looked stronger and seems to have added a bit of pace. It's a real shame McMillan had to be taken off as I thought the two of them were going to cause more problems. It's time to give Kane the chance to take MacLean's place in the side.

4 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Needs to actually do it then. 

Kerr at the very least deserves a shot as Ando is so out of form it's embarrassing to watch. 

I love Macca but he looks totally past it now I'm afraid.

Absolutely, except the bit about loving Macca I'm afraid. How we've laughed at his antics over the years, as he backed them up with his goals and world class hold up play. Today's booking was an embarrassment. Pathetic. 

He is not the future of this club, nor are Ando or Liam. They will be remembered fondly for past achievements but the future is Comrie, Tanser, Kerr, Kyle McLean, Scougall, Kane, McMillan, Johnstone..... Apologies for any number of youngsters I've missed out.

5 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Kane was match sharp having played games this year.  The rest were far from match sharp.  Winter break and no winter camp/ sunnier climate, no cup game, no Killie away.... no competitive games cost us points today.  

It's simple as that.  

And don't forget to add lack of skill and ability, a baffling choice of starting 11 and a bulletproof Chairman!!

7 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Kane was match sharp having played games this year.  The rest were far from match sharp.  Winter break and no winter camp/ sunnier climate, no cup game, no Killie away.... no competitive games cost us points today.  

It's simple as that.  

Even Tommy isn't making that excuse.

The other comment'Tanser couldn't even get his kit on for the warm up. Lack of communication ?.

The game was that bad it was funny.

Barely one minute in and they should've been 1-0 up.

Millar and Craig are not good enough in midfield when being overrun by fitter and technically better players.

There would be at least 4 I'd take out of that starting XI to be replaced by others.

At least we have a game on Monday...

1 minute ago, St Mikey said:

The game was that bad it was funny.

Barely one minute in and they should've been 1-0 up.

Millar and Craig are not good enough in midfield when being overrun by fitter and technically better players.

There would be at least 4 I'd take out of that starting XI to be replaced by others.

At least we have a game on Monday...

Millar needs a strong man beside him. Our midfield was too lightweight today whilst Thistle strong armed us out of the game.

I think we have reached the end of a chapter. Depending on what happens from now until Wednesday. Tommy's time is up with him also the board.

This summer and the current transfer window has been nothing short of a shambles and honestly a compleate embarrassment.

Unless something drastically happened in the next three days the management and board are compleatly untenable in my eyes 

There were arguably many strange decisions yesterday but any more so than selecting Keith Watson? He was loaned out so he didn't block the progress of Comrie and since then the manager has said at least twice that he didn't have a future at the club. I know the player himself spoke about a clean slate last week but I didn't even expect him to be in the squad yesterday let alone starting.

I thought it was clear early on that he wasn't in top shape so surely the manager sees that in training. He hadn't even been playing at full-back for Hartlepool on the rare occasions he was fit. The situation I believe is that he can now only play for Saints or Hartlepool this season and his former loan club have no money to take him back. Surely he was the sort of player the club should have been getting off an ever-increasing wage bill? As it is we are stuck with him until the summer now.

Was anyone happy or expecting to see him in the team yesterday?

11 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

There were arguably many strange decisions yesterday but any more so than selecting Keith Watson? He was loaned out so he didn't block the progress of Comrie and since then the manager has said at least twice that he didn't have a future at the club. I know the player himself spoke about a clean slate last week but I didn't even expect him to be in the squad yesterday let alone starting.

I thought it was clear early on that he wasn't in top shape so surely the manager sees that in training. He hadn't even been playing at full-back for Hartlepool on the rare occasions he was fit. The situation I believe is that he can now only play for Saints or Hartlepool this season and his former loan club have no money to take him back. Surely he was the sort of player the club should have been getting off an ever-increasing wage bill? As it is we are stuck with him until the summer now.

Was anyone happy or expecting to see him in the team yesterday?

Possibly a sign that Wright has lost patience with Forster and is looking to offload him in this window?

I think the most difficult thing about the game was that we will likely now have to use a portion of any budget we did have on another left-back with Easton being out for another longer spell.

What I wouldn't give for a bit of pace in the wide areas!