St Johnstone v Partick Thistle, 27 January 2018

PanamaSaint

4 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I think we have reached the end of a chapter. Depending on what happens from now until Wednesday. Tommy's time is up with him also the board.

This summer and the current transfer window has been nothing short of a shambles and honestly a compleate embarrassment.

Unless something drastically happened in the next three days the management and board are compleatly untenable in my eyes 

You'll have a go at me for this, or someone will, but you're over reacting massively wanting the manager and the board sacked. 

The Brown family will never deserve forced out the club, never. I still feel like TW leaving for the NI job would've been a perfect situation, but if he's here he deserves the rest of the season. I do wonder how we'd do with a fresh look at the squad, a manager who has no loyalty or bias towards players, but I think TW has finally realised that "Old Faithful" needs put down. 

The Watson decision was proof if ever we needed it that Tommy does not trust young players. That's why consistently we've had the oldest and slowest team in the league. That's also why we have a squad full of players past their prime, all with contracts, all difficult to move on. 

Kerr should have been brought in yesterday because Ando and Joe have been hopeless for weeks. Watson was not even remotely fit yet gets put up against the fastest winger in the league. These are decisions that Tommy needs to justify. I'm glad his patience and loyalty has worn thin otherwise he'd be out of a job by the end of the season the way things are going. 

A good manager knows when to move players on. It was one of Sir Alex Fergusons greatest traits. Unfortunately it's a skill Tommy has yet to master. Maybe this is the turning point.

Don't normally engage in these debates but yesterday was just shocking on a number of fronts and raise many questions.

TW - one of his key traits is loyalty. Has worked in the past when we have gone through  sticky patches and eventually come good but I think it's fairly clear that by sticking with a number of these players will see us in ever deeper difficulties.

Sadly Macca, Anderson, Craig, Millar and Wotherspoon of that team yesterday were miles off the pace and technically bereft - times up for all of them. Watson was clearly either unfit or simply has no pace yet he is played against Storey who clearly was fit and has pace in abundance. Surprise surprise three goals conceded from our  right side and it could have been more = ? TW decision making / tactics. We all had a bit of a joke a while back at Sammons expense - on yesterday's display he was miles ahead of either of our two starting forwards.

For me Comrie is a shoe in for right back and did commendably at left back but surely should have been chosen for right back. Not for the first time a player makes himself available and breaks down before the game starts or shortly thereafter - Tanser should be shot if TW comments re his absence are correct.

TW talks about "throwing in" younger guys. No - the likes of Kerr and Gordon deserve a run and he should show confidence in them to do so just as he did with Comrie til his injury.

Anyone who watched PT against Celtic the other night would have realised this team was going to cause us all sorts of problems if we did not have basic structure and determination from the get go - yet both were missing. Why ffs?

understand and accept Browns approach to financial management but there is now a clear need for short term investment at least in this window to freshen up the team - particularly in midfield and out wide. We are in a dogfight and without some change and inspiration trouble is ahead I fear.

Simply cannot understand why Kane and McMillan did not start yesterday - the two who did were abysmal (again) and I would have pulled at least one of them before half.

TW didn't want to go into the dressing room at full time ??!! At half time he should have ripped into them and changed personnel and structure. hope he has them all in at 0800 this morning to watch what we had to witness and put them through a good hard session focusing on basic structure and skills.

sorry for the ramble - feel a bit better now!

24 minutes ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

Don't normally engage in these debates but yesterday was just shocking on a number of fronts and raise many questions.

TW - one of his key traits is loyalty. Has worked in the past when we have gone through  sticky patches and eventually come good but I think it's fairly clear that by sticking with a number of these players will see us in ever deeper difficulties.

Sadly Macca, Anderson, Craig, Millar and Wotherspoon of that team yesterday were miles off the pace and technically bereft - times up for all of them. Watson was clearly either unfit or simply has no pace yet he is played against Storey who clearly was fit and has pace in abundance. Surprise surprise three goals conceded from our  right side and it could have been more = ? TW decision making / tactics. We all had a bit of a joke a while back at Sammons expense - on yesterday's display he was miles ahead of either of our two starting forwards.

For me Comrie is a shoe in for right back and did commendably at left back but surely should have been chosen for right back. Not for the first time a player makes himself available and breaks down before the game starts or shortly thereafter - Tanser should be shot if TW comments re his absence are correct.

TW talks about "throwing in" younger guys. No - the likes of Kerr and Gordon deserve a run and he should show confidence in them to do so just as he did with Comrie til his injury.

Anyone who watched PT against Celtic the other night would have realised this team was going to cause us all sorts of problems if we did not have basic structure and determination from the get go - yet both were missing. Why ffs?

understand and accept Browns approach to financial management but there is now a clear need for short term investment at least in this window to freshen up the team - particularly in midfield and out wide. We are in a dogfight and without some change and inspiration trouble is ahead I fear.

Simply cannot understand why Kane and McMillan did not start yesterday - the two who did were abysmal (again) and I would have pulled at least one of them before half.

TW didn't want to go into the dressing room at full time ??!! At half time he should have ripped into them and changed personnel and structure. hope he has them all in at 0800 this morning to watch what we had to witness and put them through a good hard session focusing on basic structure and skills.

sorry for the ramble - feel a bit better now!

Correct on all points! I too hate comments like "time to throw in the young players". It sounds so desperate and shows disrespect to the young players like Kerr, Gordon and Kane. These guys should be told they are to play because they have now become the better options because of their hard work and ability. Yesterday's starting 11 was a complete joke and we all knew what the outcome would be apart from TW. Why?

TW has now come out strongly hitting out at certain players. He now has to deliver on that by dropping Ando, Macca, Spoony, Watson, Craig not just for Monday but from here onwards. If not then his time is up. 

The transfer deadline is going to be interesting. We have on one hand TW saying we need players in and on the other Steve Brown not wanting to give the funds because of past signing success. We all know Tommy's panic buying tactics very rarely improve the squad. I have a bit of sympathy for SB as it looks like good money after bad, however this time the stakes are higher, much much higher.

15 minutes ago, Gas Monkey said:

TW has now come out strongly hitting out at certain players. He now has to deliver on that by dropping Ando, Macca, Spoony, Watson, Craig not just for Monday but from here onwards. If not then his time is up. 

We can't do that. But share your sentiments. He's done it with Millar and I would add him to the list.  Can't drop all of them but we can' have them all in the starting line up going forward.  Typically they have a decent game 1 in 4. But rarely collectively.

Edited by Dave H

21 minutes ago, Gas Monkey said:

Do you think he means it? Or is it just anger...

Even in his post match interview yesterday the pitch!! Tanser pulling up and not telling him!! The referee!!! All got a shout out as reasons why we got turned over at home by Partick Thistle.

I still think that Tommy believes the team that started yesterday, was/is good enough to finish top 6.

I still think that Tommy believes that bad referees, bad pitches and bad decisions from players on what time they should leave the house in the morning are having more influence on the outcomes of matches than his lack of signings or team selection.

1 hour ago, Broon said:

The Watson decision was proof if ever we needed it that Tommy does not trust young players. That's why consistently we've had the oldest and slowest team in the league. That's also why we have a squad full of players past their prime, all with contracts, all difficult to move on. 

Kerr should have been brought in yesterday because Ando and Joe have been hopeless for weeks. Watson was not even remotely fit yet gets put up against the fastest winger in the league. These are decisions that Tommy needs to justify. I'm glad his patience and loyalty has worn thin otherwise he'd be out of a job by the end of the season the way things are going. 

A good manager knows when to move players on. It was one of Sir Alex Fergusons greatest traits. Unfortunately it's a skill Tommy has yet to master. Maybe this is the turning point.

Oh I wish. Tommy all talk. Will be back to usual next week. The guy is incapable of trusting the young guys. Comrie & Gordon & others have over the last 18 months have played & done well only to be dropped when the old faithful came back.

If I was a young player with Saints I would be really disheartened.

46 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

The transfer deadline is going to be interesting. We have on one hand TW saying we need players in and on the other Steve Brown not wanting to give the funds because of past signing success. We all know Tommy's panic buying tactics very rarely improve the squad. I have a bit of sympathy for SB as it looks like good money after bad, however this time the stakes are higher, much much higher.

What makes you think he can do any better in this transfer window than over the last 4 seasons ?.

Unless he has been working hard over the last few months to identify targets & is ready for them to put pen to paper I think we will end up with panic signings like Frank's.

As above the Watson inclusion for me is the strangest decision, although I have a cynical view that TW sometimes spits the dummy out with SB if the frequent arguments between them gets to personnel he then picks an unbelievable positional wise team of the players to give SB the two finger salute and prove a point. Also the Watson decision is a poor management decision from both party's and a club point of view, that inclusion yesterday basically means he is now here for the duration of his contract, can not be moved on/loaned out , No we will pay you all you are due until the end of the season Keith as I have got pissed of by the board.

Also Cynical as I am TW is watching his two dream jobs being possibly available to him and yet both are tantalisingly still not actually available to him has his head been turned a bit with optimistic thoughts of these two jobs.

Another poor management decision yesterday Jason Kerr comes back being touted the best Central defender in the Championship buzzing I would imagine to be involved and yet he is left to gather up the warm up equipment at the end of the session how to bring him back down to earth right enough.    

Back to the game. I was expecting sub's at half time. Gordon or Kerr should have been brought on at half time & Joe moved to right back though I don't think he is any faster than Watson & his form has been shit since he was made captain. McMillen or Kane should have come on for Macca. In truth Ando, Wotherspoon & Johnstone could have been subbed as well but just as well we kept 1 sub back as McMillan got injured. The only thing Tommy got right all day.

Interesting who would not have been on bench had Tanser played.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

What makes you think he can do any better in this transfer window than over the last 4 seasons ?.

Unless he has been working hard over the last few months to identify targets & is ready for them to put pen to paper I think we will end up with panic signings like Frank's.

To be honest I don't think this window will be any different. We have 2 signing policies. 1. Trail about after players that have done well for us in previous spells. Or.

2. Tried and tested journey men from teams in and around us in the league

Motherwell have done well picking up English lower league players. Mainly because they seem to decent at identifying players. We shop by price rather than looking at investing in a bit of quality with one eye on the future. I am not say go mental.

And they duly did.

Table now looks sickeningly like it did during the cheating years of the previous club.

Wonder if SB could maybe arrange to get some players in under the same 'never never' terms as Sevco. i.e:

Get one free now - First instalment not payable until August. (but only if you think he's made the grade)

Edited by Indicator

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Oh I wish. Tommy all talk. Will be back to usual next week. The guy is incapable of trusting the young guys. Comrie & Gordon & others have over the last 18 months have played & done well only to be dropped when the old faithful came back.

If I was a young player with Saints I would be really disheartened.

Did Tommy piss on your parade at some point. You really don't appear to have any time for the man do you.:laugh:

Even when we are winning now we aren' you are even worse.

Edited by mainstand