Hearts v Saints Sat February 10th Scottish Cup 5th Round

garydavidson

We’ve needed a striker to replace May since he went, this has not been done.

We’ve not had a decent middle of the park man since Jodie went.

We buy other people’s cast offs.....Foster and Shaughnessy immediately spring to mind.

Instead of being wise in the window we got M O’H back....he sparkled for about 6 games and vanished: just like usual.

Midge is told he’s not needed but still is around: he’s not been 100% fit for 3 years.

The formations and line-ups have been suspect for 3 years.

We have stuttered over the last 2 seasons and been lucky to remain top 6.

The inclusion of Hearts and Hibs will cure us of these lofty ambitions this year.

It is time for a total cull of the old players and ditch the pathetic loyalty, and that starts with the man choosing the team. Tommy’s apologists will be apoplectic but if we are honest it’s been fairly poor fare for 2-3 seasons.

After the cup final we had a glorious chance to consolidate and attract a higher standard of player.

Instead we’ve been in the bargain basement bin. 

A change is needed he’s had his time.....................

26 minutes ago, George Grieve said:

We’ve needed a striker to replace May since he went, this has not been done.

We buy other people’s cast offs.....Foster and Shaughnessy immediately spring to mind.

Instead of being wise in the window we got M O’H back....he sparkled for about 6 games and vanished: just like usual.

Midge is told he’s not needed but still is around: he’s not been 100% fit for 3 years.

The formations and line-ups have been suspect for 3 years.

We have stuttered over the last 2 seasons and been lucky to remain top 6.

The inclusion of Hearts and Hibs will cure us of these lofty ambitions this year.

It is time for a total cull of the old players and ditch the pathetic loyalty, and that starts with the man choosing the team. Tommy’s apologists will be apoplectic but if we are honest it’s been fairly poor fare for 2-3 seasons.

After the cup final we had a glorious chance to consolidate and attract a higher standard of player.

Instead we’ve been in the bargain basement bin. 

A change is needed he’s had his time.....................

26 minutes ago, George Grieve said:

Poor last season in long spells. Poor all this season apart the opening few games when we were top of the league. So poor for 18 months or thereabouts.. purely talking entertainment though.

The trusted oldies are no longer trusted, they've all lost their mojo at the same time. I wonder what a winter holiday session would have done for team spirit?  Would certainly have perked me up.  

It's the old saying that attitude comes from leadership. 

We have a chairman who a couple of weeks ago in a national newspaper made it clear that he can't spare a lot of time to Saints and that it was not in his long term plans.

How does this filter down to the management team and then the players? Yes we have an old team, yes the manager is too loyal (Swanson?) and yes we need to remember that over the last few seasons we have achieved unprecedented success. However how often in the years that can be remembered when we were relegated, fought relegation, took semi finals as a great season did we ever question the attitude and leadership of Geoff Brown? This was a chairman who gave his all to save the club and keep it alive.......sadly the present chairman does not seem to be in that mould and this surely has an impact on the attitude of the staff who represent the club?

Accept that manager made some mistakes but very concerned re SB ‘s chairmanship. Now lost our physio to Aberdeen operating without CEO Roddy seems to be running about trying to do several jobs for which he isn’t qualified.Steve states he doesn’ t listen to fellow directors several sponsors are not happy how can you sort out contracts keep the organisation efficient by spending two afternoons per week at the club and Steve inherited all this he didn’t create it When Geoff started he had four fellow directors and the business is far bigger now 

4 minutes ago, Saint70 said:

It's the old saying that attitude comes from leadership. 

We have a chairman who a couple of weeks ago in a national newspaper made it clear that he can't spare a lot of time to Saints and that it was not in his long term plans.

How does this filter down to the management team and then the players? Yes we have an old team, yes the manager is too loyal (Swanson?) and yes we need to remember that over the last few seasons we have achieved unprecedented success. However how often in the years that can be remembered when we were relegated, fought relegation, took semi finals as a great season did we ever question the attitude and leadership of Geoff Brown? This was a chairman who gave his all to save the club and keep it alive.......sadly the present chairman does not seem to be in that mould and this surely has an impact on the attitude of the staff who represent the club?

Nail on the head.  Absolutely.  The interview in the press was deeply concerning.  A bizarre understanding of Scottish football today and an even more bizarre approach to leadership.

Most of this is total b******s but you are correct about the aftermath of the Cup Final but the person who f*****up after the Cup Final was the ' bullet proof' chairman who thinks he can do no wrong. He was constantly bleating about no cash etc and that we didn't make as much as everyone thought we would etc. He was a total killjoy and with £3 million in the bank he should have given TW a proper budget. to build on what was achieved. TW is  the manager who not only won us the cup beat Rosenberg etc but played Stevie May, signed MOH and Swanson. His budget has been cut year on year yet it is his fault. IHe has made mistakes perhaps being loyal to too many but when you have to sign s**** like Tanser as this is all the budget will stretch too are we surprised we are in the mess we are. Every chance we will make history being the first team to be relegated with £3 million in the bank!

Guest ScottMann
58 minutes ago, George Grieve said:

We buy other people’s cast offs.....

This is probably the best of the lot so far. At least we didn't waste any money buying this cast off. :laugh:

Guest ScottMann
11 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Tony Tompos is going to Aberdeen? Saints' inability to retain physios is frightening.

I was half expecting this after seeing he gets papers published in the physio world. Thought he'd be away down south though.

Gutless garbage today sadly. The team are rudderless, they have no spirit, no fight and are clearly lacking all over the park. As for the boss?? Well if Miller was not injured ( which he has now confirmed) to take him off was an astounding decision. He was our best player by far up to that point. As for his replacement, the horse, Denny Johnston.. guys pointless.. What else can I say. I left after the 3rd went in as I felt there was no point staying as the atmosphere was becoming more toxic by the minute and all I had left was going to be the same as folk were already starting to dish out. Wasnae going to help them or me. And have since read that's pretty much the way it went.   If we go down, so be it. We keep making the same mistakes. The first goal was utterly criminal. It came from OUR shy.  I will still buy a ST and still go to watch Saints but for now, for this season, I am broken and disappointed beyond belief.

One other  point which I have noticed is our "crime count" fouls wise..  Now I know the BBC stats are not always spot on but today we made 8 fouls. Hearts made 17. Against Motherwell it was our 9 to their 12. Hearts last week , us 10 them 13. Partick game.... yip us 5 them 12. Killie at start of Dec  (7-14). Hearts again 23rd Dec (6-12) Ranger win  (13 them us 8) In fact the only game since the start of Dec that we have had more fouls than the opposition is the 2-0 loss at home to Dundee (12-8). We are soft as shite. Tanser for all his good play couldnae tackle sleep today

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

The club is going to make serious losses next accounts. Quite glad so many are going out of contract, only one I'd keep is Muzz, even after his mistake today. The rest can go ruin someone else's club.

I must say that am in agreement with you there dude

6 minutes ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

Gutless garbage today sadly. The team are rudderless, they have no spirit, no fight and are clearly lacking all over the park. As for the boss?? Well if Miller was not injured ( which he has now confirmed) to take him off was an astounding decision. He was our best player by far up to that point. As for his replacement, the horse, Denny Johnston.. guys pointless.. What else can I say. I left after the 3rd went in as I felt there was no point staying as the atmosphere was becoming more toxic by the minute and all I had left was going to be the same as folk were already starting to dish out. Wasnae going to help them or me. And have since read that's pretty much the way it went.   If we go down, so be it. We keep making the same mistakes. The first goal was utterly criminal. It came from OUR shy.  I will still buy a ST and still go to watch Saints but for now, for this season, I am broken and disappointed beyond belief.

Nice tae see ye posting again big radge bloke.

this time ye have a point ,in fact several.broken dissapointed beyond belief here too mate.

2 minutes ago, slf said:

Nice tae see ye posting again big radge bloke.

this time ye have a point ,in fact several.broken dissapointed beyond belief here too mate.

I have never left that early before Roysten. Mind that conversation we had at half time in the cup semi against the sheep . Well that's  how I felt today..  

2 minutes ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

I have never left that early before Roysten. Mind that conversation we had at half time in the cup semi against the sheep . Well that's  how I felt today..  

Aye ken what you mean.not a very good feeling .

by the way Greg twine has ended up in Pitlochry.any other saints fans fuqed up there already fuqed  up day and ended up somewhere unusual.

1 hour ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

One other  point which I have noticed is our "crime count" fouls wise..  Now I know the BBC stats are not always spot on but today we made 8 fouls. Hearts made 17. Against Motherwell it was our 9 to their 12. Hearts last week , us 10 them 13. Partick game.... yip us 5 them 12. Killie at start of Dec  (7-14). Hearts again 23rd Dec (6-12) Ranger win  (13 them us 8) In fact the only game since the start of Dec that we have had more fouls than the opposition is the 2-0 loss at home to Dundee (12-8). We are soft as shite. Tanser for all his good play couldnae tackle sleep today

and here was me thinking the aim was not to give away fouls

Interesting the foul count, even if bbc accurate. Always struck me as we get a few yellows each game, concluding We must get booked every second foul?  No wonder we are scared to tackle, there is a reputation in the game for us being physical and quite clear the refs are taking that aggression out of us.  Early bookings, first foul bookings etc

1 hour ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

Have noticed that for the last few weeks. Half as many fouls & twice as many bookings.

Lack of fouls would maybe point to lack of effort.

People moan the manager doesn't try new things so he goes 3-5-1-1 or 5-3-2 and people moan that it didn't work and should go back to 4-2-2 make your mind up people 

Brown handles the contracts and we have lost out on players because of this - Tommy can't bring in the quality of player that ando / McLean / miller where 4 years ago for the wages we can pay now 

48 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Interesting the foul count, even if bbc accurate. Always struck me as we get a few yellows each game, concluding We must get booked every second foul?  No wonder we are scared to tackle, there is a reputation in the game for us being physical and quite clear the refs are taking that aggression out of us.  Early bookings, first foul bookings etc

Unofficial twitter has a ridiculous quote from Levein on it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/stjohnstone1884/status/962418967682994176