MOTHERWELL AWAY TUESDAY

byebyedundee

Makes for grim viewing. Couldn't make it last night, but it does look as though Motherwell played with far more energy, aggression and hunger than us in the second half.  Our whole team needs to step up massively. Ando and Maclean have been poor this season and take a lot of stick, but Shaughnessy and every single other need to improve as well.  Our skipper is giving away loads of these careless moments this season, and for a centre half and captain needs to bring far more aggression, fight and leadership.  Tanser and Alston need to get the sleeves rolled up and impose themselves.

There's no doubt we are in a genuine dogfight. Watching previous teams get relegated: St Mirren, Dundee United, Inverness etc, it became very apparent that each team lost all confidence; as soon as they fell behind the crowd would get on their backs and they looked beaten.  It becomes a vicious circle.

We are where we deserve to be this season, no hard luck or anything else, just haven't been good enough.  However,  I hope the Saints support can rally round and get right behind the team for the challenging months ahead, in trying to lift the players and get more fight, more belief, more desire.  As a support we've had it good for so long we've forgotten what the bottom 6 feels like...  it's time to suck it up and get on with it.

I don't buy into this we're doomed, we can't get points off rangers or Hibs or Dundee etc. The one thing about this is we know we are in trouble and have plenty of games to get the points required. We just have to bite, kick and scratch every single match to scrape draws and wins wherever we can.

If we do get through this and stay up,  the one thing a bottom six scrap will surely do is make everyone at the club realise we cannot just sit on our laurels or we'll end up in exactly the same situation next season.

Tommy needs to make changes before it's too late, but I say give him until mid March and if he hasn't seen the changes needed and take action, if results continue this way then I would go with Callum in charge with Cleland as number 2. 

The main problems come from a obvious lack of investment from the board, I might be wrong but did the board not decide to invest in the youth development when Stevenson came back? that's 2012. We then saw Stevie May impress and thought this was definitely the way to go instead of opting to buy (like we ever do that) or paying signing fees with players and agents? It also lets us sell players at a profit to keep the figures nice and healthy.

We've seen players like Comrie, Gordon and Kerr show signs of being good enough lately but not be given a run in the first team. We're struggling to score goals but we have Hendry in reserve who's apparently impressing. I don't care how old you are, if you're good enough then give them a chance.

We've insisted in keeping faith with the some players since we won the cup, Macca should have gone a long time ago, Muzz isn't the player we thought he'd be due to injuries but must be one of the highest earners right? Ando is loyal but showing big signs of his best days seriously being behind him, Wotherspoon is inconsistent but has flashes of brilliance, Millar who is probably our best midfielder is for some reason not a favourite with the manager. Our goalkeeper position isn't even concrete anymore, Mannus' performances started to drop straight after winning the cup and Zander can be iffy at times.

Then we have a crafty wee player like Scougall who arrived showing having a nice footballing brain with some creative sparks, but it's like he's been shackled by management and our style of play. Foster should be long gone, his disciplinary record in his short time is poor and his attitude towards fans at times.

49 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Correct on both counts. Some folk absolutely itching to get rid of our most successful ever manager. 

To make it clear I dont want rid of him yet, but you can't ignore how woeful we've been for the entire season because of something he's achieved in the past. You can't argue we're going backwards under him.

I can understand why some people want him gone. 

We are in a bit of a mess, with so many players out of contract at the end of the season. Yet we expect them to give their all even if they realise their contracts won’t be renewed. In the position they are in it is easy for the heads to go down.

We needed more long term investment in the squad at the last transfer window, instead of a sticking plaster that doesn’t last. 

I don’t think we have had the best of luck this season with injuries and bad refereeing decisions. Just have to hope David McMillan is the Henry Hall type of saviour when he gets fit.

31 minutes ago, HALLS ANGEL said:

We are in a bit of a mess, with so many players out of contract at the end of the season. Yet we expect them to give their all even if they realise their contracts won’t be renewed. In the position they are in it is easy for the heads to go down.

We needed more long term investment in the squad at the last transfer window, instead of a sticking plaster that doesn’t last. 

I don’t think we have had the best of luck this season with injuries and bad refereeing decisions. Just have to hope David McMillan is the Henry Hall type of saviour when he gets fit.

These guys should be playing for new contracts. It may be that they have been told they are not getting one.

The position we are in & to my mind have been in for a few months is that we do not know what league we will be in next season. This makes contract talks difficult.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC. What a sorry mess that was. Motherwell could of won by another 2 or 3 at a canter as our defending was all over the place.

We need to stick with a settled defence and some semblance of a balanced midfield. We have chopped and changed all season and reaping the results of that now. 

I know and accept why Paul Paton was moved on however he was one of the only squad members to have experience of scrapping at the bottom end of the league. Experience we are sorely going to need over the next couple of months.

4 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

The players need to lock themselves in a room and sort it out you can't have a performance like ibrox , and then what we have seen since apart from Last Saturday , there has got to be something going on wae them.

Would agree with that. I don't think it helps that we do not have a natural captain at the moment, someone who could grab the situation by the scruff of the neck and sort stuff out.

35 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

Would agree with that. I don't think it helps that we do not have a natural captain at the moment, someone who could grab the situation by the scruff of the neck and sort stuff out.

I think the gloves are off now and if anyone doesn't think we could slip out the league they are smoking exotic herb.

We have lost our identity - closing down teams with our energy and wearing them down- teams use to hate playing us - "St.Johnstone ? bunch of Fermers who squeeze the life out of the game .."  ( listen to Levien when Hearts drew us in the cup). We need to get back to that and sadly a few of the old guard need to be on the bench for the foreseeable future and be used as squad players when injuries and suspensions bite and they will.

Tommy has earned the right to get out of this stale period (the very first in his reign), but I'd like to see him show a ruthless side with the players that are no longer adding what they once did.

Macca is well and truly done at this level. He's a legend, but his time has come. I'd rather have Kane, Johnstone, McMillan, Hendry or Hurst in the team now, even if all they can bring is some fire and energy.

Ando still has something to offer the club, but others should be shown the same patience he has been shown in recent months. Kerr and Gordon will make the odd mistake, but it's not as if they are being asked to replace the 2014 partnership of Ando and Wright.

Forster is a liability in my opinion. Comrie deserves the chance of a solid run ahead of him.

Millar needs to be in the starting XI until we find another player that likes taking the ball into feet and trying to play possession football. Scougall must also be given a central role behind a front man/men. I'm sure Wright would argue it leaves us without height in the middle of the park, but with a bigger option in the middle alongside them in the form of Davidson or Willock and the likelihood of better football when in possession I'd take the risk.

I actually believe we will need a major reshaping of the squad for next season, with a fair few of the old guard moving on, but I'd hope that in the meantime we can motivate them to repay what the club has given them.

1 hour ago, Jenko82 said:

Was just thinking that myself the other day.We are like a rudderless ship..Oh forca Wright,Doobs or a Dave Mackay.

I feel sorry for Tommy,he looks dejected and strung out the now and i think hes lost the plot a touch.

Perversely I think it’s changes that have cost us dear! I haven’t checked stats, but I would be very much surprised if we have fielded the same team two weeks in a row. I am very much of the opinion that a settled team brings results. One thing or another has stopped us doing this to the detriment of our performances.

I do remember John Connolly doing the same, chopping and changing all the time :-( ... fingers crossed we can fight/play our way out of this...

3 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Was just thinking that myself the other day.We are like a rudderless ship..Oh forca Wright,Doobs or a Dave Mackay.

I feel sorry for Tommy,he looks dejected and strung out the now and i think hes lost the plot a touch.

Dave Mackay was good example of a captain, IMO Jody Morris was the epitome of what you want in a captain, he was an extremely intelligent footballer who could really influence his team mates and ultimately games. Always remember Jody harrying and geeing up his team mate, all I have seen at home games is players bickering at each other. Both Joe and Andover have been adversely affected by being captain.

39 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

Dave Mackay was good example of a captain, IMO Jody Morris was the epitome of what you want in a captain, he was an extremely intelligent footballer who could really influence his team mates and ultimately games. Always remember Jody harrying and geeing up his team mate, all I have seen at home games is players bickering at each other. Both Joe and Andover have been adversely affected by being captain.

Indeed. We lack someone consistent and good enough to be captain. Ando and Joe have more or less got it by default when looking from the outside.

2 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Get a grafter as club captain. A fighter, someone with passion who loves playing for the club. Someone who can batlle and lead us out of this mess. Paul Paton is the man....oh wait a minute... balls...:sad:

Hahahaha...

Paul Paton as captain is our saviour right enough.

At least you’ve got a sense of humour!