Captain Fantastic

byebyedundee

People have said that come March TW should go and Callum and Clelland take over **** that 

if I was Steve Brown I’d sit with TW and bring back Captain Dave McKay get rid of  Clelland and put Dave’s in the dug out in the dressing room he’s the one man that can not only lift TW but will lift Stjohnstone 

Bring back Dave McKay 

I don’t get the clamour on here and elsewhere wanting Dave McKay back. He has a long way to go to prove himself as a Premiership level manager ( and before anyone says it I know the Championship may be looming). Has everyone conveniently airbrushed out of their memories the managerial reign of John Connolly, a club legend as a player but a disaster as a manager, who had previously done ok with Queen of the South. I would rather leave my memories of Dave as a club legend intact and if and when Tommy leaves let the board make the appropriate appointment. Let us remember the board under the Browns have a pretty decent record of management appointments. In my view the only real failures have been as mentioned John Connolly and Billy Stark. The present management team may well have had its time but personally I think there is still something there, see this season out and yes with some investment from the Browns in the summer the good times can continue

I find it strange that everyone always has a pop at our backroom staff. My understanding is that Alex Clelland is a great coach and held in high regard by a lot of people outside of St.Johnstone,  he has a done an outstanding job in past years I'm - surprised he is still with us.

Edited by SaintJet

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

I find it strange that everyone always has a pop at our backroom staff. My understanding is that Alex Clelland is a great coach and held in high regard by a lot of people outside of St.Johnstone,  he has a done an outstanding job in past years I'm - surprised he is still with us.

I think byebyedundee has a grudge against him for being an ex Ranger.

Dave is no longer setting the heather alight in league two so will be interesting to see where they finish up.

On the subject of Dave there were plenty of people who complained about lack of vocal leadership when he was captain at points. 

8 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I think byebyedundee has a grudge against him for being an ex Ranger.

Dave is no longer setting the heather alight in league two so will be interesting to see where they finish up.

On the subject of Dave there were plenty of people who complained about lack of vocal leadership when he was captain at points. 

There was a time during the season when they went through a bad patch but they have kicked on now & are in playoff place & look like they could stay there.

I think Dave got a job outside football & that may be why they fell away.

I purely feel that there is a lack of Encouragement, Motivation, and dare I say it leadership...

I truly feel Dave would give not only the old guard a sense of motivation but encourage the youngsters also..

I'm looking for a presence and Dave has a barrowload of that and I know he could make a difference 

6 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

I don’t get the clamour on here and elsewhere wanting Dave McKay back. He has a long way to go to prove himself as a Premiership level manager ( and before anyone says it I know the Championship may be looming). Has everyone conveniently airbrushed out of their memories the managerial reign of John Connolly, a club legend as a player but a disaster as a manager, who had previously done ok with Queen of the South. I would rather leave my memories of Dave as a club legend intact and if and when Tommy leaves let the board make the appropriate appointment. Let us remember the board under the Browns have a pretty decent record of management appointments. In my view the only real failures have been as mentioned John Connolly and Billy Stark. The present management team may well have had its time but personally I think there is still something there, see this season out and yes with some investment from the Browns in the summer the good times can continue

Yep, "dream team" management seldom delivers.  We need to just work harder and collectively get out of this mess.

I think having Dave McKay back at the club would be a real plus but to talk or do it now is knee jerk. Alec is as has been mentioned, very respected as a youth coach. Be grateful, we could have Graham Murty as our youth coach ! Then there is the discussion on how good Callum is. Well his involvement under Strachanin the national team  is a fantastic endorsement. We have the right people around us. We just need to get out of this mess.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:03 PM, PanamaSaint said:

I think having Dave McKay back at the club would be a real plus but to talk or do it now is knee jerk. Alec is as has been mentioned, very respected as a youth coach. Be grateful, we could have Graham Murty as our youth coach ! Then there is the discussion on how good Callum is. Well his involvement under Strachanin the national team  is a fantastic endorsement. We have the right people around us. We just need to get out of this mess.

I hear ya Just clutching straws guys .. worried for our team if we go down there will be a lot of redundancies and some hardcore working people behind the scenes gone