Tommy Wright's position (title edited)

rik2304

Valid points on both sides and I certainly sympathise with those calling for change, but I think Tommy has earned the right to turn things around this season and, no matter where we end up, the opportunity to rectify things in the summer.

That doesn't make what is happening now any easier to watch or the difficulties we've faced this season anywhere near acceptable, but this season has been in the post for a while now. There's only so long you can rely on players in their 30s to maintain their standards. We saw Mackay decline first, then Wright and we've been able to source adequate (not as good, but decent enough) replacements. I'd argue that this season looks like one too far for Foster (although he's picked up a bit since the break), Anderson, Millar ( that seems to be more induced by the manager's selection policy rather than an actual decline in his ability to compete at our level), Craig, Maclean and possibly Wotherspoon (form has been pretty awful for the best part of 18 months now) and Easton giving the injury problems he's faced this season. Most of those players have played well over 100 - I think most will be over 200 at the very least - and took us to 4th last season. There's no accounting for them all suddenly looking out of their depth and there would've been an outcry if any of those players had left last summer.

As I've mentioned before, we've got 14 or 15 players out of contract this summer. I'm not advocating that we release all of them, but there is plenty of scope for a clear out and start again policy. Most of the players contracted beyond this summer are young (Craig and Foster the only ones over 30) and plenty of them have come through our own academy. The chairman has to give Tommy funds to bring in players though. I appreciate that the club will get less from prize money this year and may have to dip into reserves to just retain the budget, but he can't go slashing the budget like under Lomas, and indeed the first season Wright was here.

I think the next few months are a big test for both manager and chairman. The manager can't go again next season with all the old heads in the squad as many have proven not to be up to the required standard this season. If Tommy does take the leap of faith and releases a big number of players (Paton's release shows Tommy can make big decisions - he'd played the third most number of minutes in our squad to the point he was released) then he has to bring the right types in. Alston and Scougall looked good on paper. Whilst neither has hit the heights we hoped they would, that's the kind of player we should be looking at again IMO. 

Would it kill us to add some pace to the squad too? Even when we've been good, we always seem to be the slowest, most ponderous team in the league.

^ think the majority would share your view.  Not too alarmist but simple recognising and allowing all at the club to correct it.  Our destiny is going to be determined in 5 games post split. 5 cup finals. Time for positivity in us fans to support, we are the 12th man and could make the difference. Really hope we fans can muster some positivity. It might pass to the 11 players on the pitch.  Exciting end to a season yet again, if we finish well I think some players out of contract merit another year.  

Guest ScottMann

I suppose we can add the out of contract situation to the club's current hassles. So many to be resolved one way or the other but I take it nothing will be done in the immediate future given we now have uncertainty over which league we'll be in next season. No early re-signing session this year that's for sure. 

It also went very quiet about the pre-contract for the KIllie guy. If it wasn't completed I can't imagine Steve dishing out a new contract at the moment. That move must be in doubt for a number of reasons if not already signed.

To start with I think one of the Moderators need to change the headline to this thread; TW has not been sacked and it's pretty sad and misleading that  anyone purporting to be a Saints fan would start something like this without any foundation. 

How about- Tommy Wright's position - to start the thread? Not as sensationalism but more accurate. Mods need to take things more serious on this site or it really is going to loss all credibility.

Edited by SaintJet

44 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

To start with I think one of the Moderators need to change the headline to this thread; TW has not been sacked and it's pretty sad and misleading that  anyone purporting to be a Saints fan would start something like this without any foundation. 

How about- Tommy Wright's position - to start the thread? Not as sensationalism but more accurate. Mods need to take things more serious on this site or it really is going to loss all credibility.

Yeah ,& it doesn't leave option to post a thread when he does go.

34 minutes ago, bobby kemp said:

Any chance of closing this topic.???

1  he hasnt been sacked .

2 its becoming embarrassing  with the bitching.

3 get back to the matters that REALLY  need addressing. 

There is not much bitching. FOlk are being pretty logical about the whole thing. TW is faring well. Old legs, and players who KNOW they are out on their ear in the summer are causing trouble, that's what's happening.

If Millar, Spoony, Muzz, Ando, Easton get us relegated... they are cup winners who ****ed us at the end.

9 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

There is not much bitching. FOlk are being pretty logical about the whole thing. TW is faring well. Old legs, and players who KNOW they are out on their ear in the summer are causing trouble, that's what's happening.

If Millar, Spoony, Muzz, Ando, Easton get us relegated... they are cup winners who ****ed us at the end.

All these players still have plenty to give saints,midge taken off on Saturday for tactical reasons when a lot of people thought he was saints best player,muzz always gives his all, Easton our best left back but unfortunately injured hope he is back asap,spoony lacking confidence,no wonder everyone on his back all the time,ando our best tackler getting played in a system that doesn't suit him,Joe is just as bad if not worse, before everyone gets there backs up,muzz never played the cup final,yes we need to freshen up but we also need all these guys experience I bet everyone of the players are hurting just as much as the fans especially spoony saints fan through and through

Edited by tucker

35 minutes ago, tucker said:

All these players still have plenty to give saints,midge taken off on Saturday for tactical reasons when a lot of people thought he was saints best player,muzz always gives his all, Easton our best left back but unfortunately injured hope he is back asap,spoony lacking confidence,no wonder everyone on his back all the time,ando our best tackler getting played in a system that doesn't suit him,Joe is just as bad if not worse, before everyone gets there backs up,muzz never played the cup final,yes we need to freshen up but we also need all these guys experience I bet everyone of the players are hurting just as much as the fans especially spoony saints fan through and through

This'll sound harsher than its intended, but does Millar have "plenty left to give"? 

He's 35 next month. 

5 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Spot on.

The title of this thread is click-bait, stirs us all up :) 

--------

Meltdown / happy clappers,  same thing- passion, just different styles that's all, and the heart of every club. 

As supporters we all want:

1. Owners/stewards of our club that invest in the future and look to grow the club but not risk the clubs existence. I plan to be back home at some point!
  2. Entertainment on the park, with one/two exciting players, get us and next generations excited, aka Stevie May, MOH. 
  3. A committed manager that brings out the best in the players, makes us competitive and maximises 2. 
  4. Ownership that supports the manager to deliver.

Right now we are missing on most of these, and they connect together.

Under our current ownership structure, and with all the big clubs back in the premiership, I don't think we can get close to a level playing field in terms of funds and support. I think this has caught up with us and the ship is beginning to sink. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

This'll sound harsher than its intended, but does Millar have "plenty left to give"? 

He's 35 next month. 

And costing a pretty penny. 

And just because he's an old pro, cup final, 10 year vet of SJFC..... we are not getting value for money from him,

We could get two players for his wages.

Too many people get moist for certain players - face facts: THE CLUB COMES FIRST, ALL PLAYERS ARE MERELY EMPLOYEES

5 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

And just because he's an old pro, cup final, 10 year vet of SJFC..... we are not getting value for money from him,

Too many people get moist for certain players - face facts: THE CLUB COMES FIRST, ALL PLAYERS ARE MERELY EMPLOYEES

He was one of the better players until he got taken off on Saturday. 

27 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Is he value for money? If you have to take him off because he's a luxury.....?

We're paying him till the end of the season no matter what.

Tommys view was that he had to take him off on Saturday, mainly because he was out thought by Levein. There were other players not having the same impact on the game at that time but to me and many other spectators, it was the wrong choice. Millars hamstring injuries were ages ago, you'd need to ask Tommy why he hasn't played more but one things for sure, it's no coincidence that our form and general playing style has suffered without a Millar type of player in the team.

Denny Johnstone is a carthorse, no wonder Millar was ****ing angry being replaced by that donkey.

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch
Stupid phone

16 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

We're paying him till the end of the season no matter what.

Tommys view was that he had to take him off on Saturday, mainly because he was out thought by Levein. There were other players not having the same impact on the game at that time but to me and many other spectators, it was the wrong choice. Millars hamstring injuries were ages ago, you'd need to ask Tommy why he hasn't played more but one things for sure, it's no coincidence that our form and general playing style has suffered without a Millar type of player in the team.

Denny Johnstone is a carthorse, no wonder Millar was ****ing angry being replaced by that donkey.

Not saying it was right or wrong decision to sub midge but would you have been satisfied had TW left us with 1 up front and kept Midge on?

It was a cup tie surely he had to go for it. 

As for being out thought by Levein saints would have been level at half time had it not been for brain fade by Joe who did what every young pro will have been told not to do and that is throw the ball infield. Maybe the one thing that was wrong on Saturday was that he changed it too early and should have waited until half time or even 60 minutes, given them a chance to get back in it.

4 hours ago, MySpazz said:

39 minutes ago, mainstand said:

As a matter of interested how do you know what midge's wages are,even if you could get 2 players for his wages I know they would not be good,professional or have his leadership and organisational qualities