Tommy Wright's position (title edited)

rik2304

32 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I take it you are thinking that a director of football role could take on the recruitment role that TW has talked about. 

Tommy old pal Steve loans is still unemployed maybe he could do the recruitment role. 

Don't think that they are pals anymore.

22 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

How about TW being moved to the new DoF role with Callum and Clelland or Macca taking over the managerial/coaching roles? That would allow TW's legendary status to remain mostly intact.

Bit confused about why it would be an improvement to take our most successful ever manager, move him out of the role he's been successful in, and replace him in that role with people with far basically zero experience.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, blueheaven said:

Bit confused about why it would be an improvement to take our most successful ever manager, move him out of the role he's been successful in, and replace him in that role with people with far basically zero experience.

TW did not have that much experience either when he took over the reigns. Not a yardstick to guarantee success but he did the business. I dont see why a new, young coach could not move us forward with Wright still there. TW was successful, and remains a legend. I would like to see him continue to prosper but would hate to see him fall from grace.

• 1 month later...
Guest ScottMann

Jack Ross away to Sunderland and, given the market they were obviously looking in, no mention of Tommy being considered yet again.

I'm happy with that but it does make me wonder if there's more to him being constantly overlooked than just him not being 'young and trendy'. I wonder if his style of football and Saints crowds not doing well despite the success are bigger factors than his age.Ross has obviously done well but I hope Sunderland are aware that at this time last year Archibald was the golden boy and attracting attention from English clubs. How's that worked out?

A solid, experienced manager that keeps growing his career with a record of success in two countries? No thanks. We'll have the potential flash in the pan instead. Long may it last!

The manager only has a year left on his deal.

There has to be a reason he hasn't, as far as I remember, been linked with a single job in England. The only serious link has been Dundee United.

I do think he is very content here and it could be something as simple as having no interest in these jobs and that being well known.

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I'm happy with that but it does make me wonder if there's more to him being constantly overlooked than just him not being 'young and trendy'. 

The press play a huge role in English clubs perception. You tell me if Ross getting St Mirren promoted is more impressive than Hopkirk getting back to back promotions with Livingston? 

Ross has gotten huge hype from the media, and is seen as a miracle worker, despite being handed a huge budget to rebuild St Mirren, allowing him to sign the likes of Stephen McGinn. Hopkirk has used the same squad from League One to the Premiership, and barely gets a mention. 

Some managers are fashionable, some aren't, TW obviously isn't. 

I'd worry that he's signing key players on for two years when he's only got a year left himself, a really negative view is that he's making sure the squad will be strong when he leaves. 

On 25/05/2018 at 4:32 PM, ScottMann said:

Jack Ross away to Sunderland and, given the market they were obviously looking in, no mention of Tommy being considered yet again.

I'm happy with that but it does make me wonder if there's more to him being constantly overlooked than just him not being 'young and trendy'. I wonder if his style of football and Saints crowds not doing well despite the success are bigger factors than his age.Ross has obviously done well but I hope Sunderland are aware that at this time last year Archibald was the golden boy and attracting attention from English clubs. How's that worked out?

A solid, experienced manager that keeps growing his career with a record of success in two countries? No thanks. We'll have the potential flash in the pan instead. Long may it last!

Was thinking the same on hearing about Jack Ross getting the Sunderland job. It's a great job for him but his whole time in management has been in an upward trajectory, and he's yet to experience a period of difficulty. If Sunderland go through a difficult spell he will soon know what pressure is.

I felt the same last season when Archibald took Thistle to sixth and he got nominated for manager of the year, whilst Tommy led Saints to fourth and Europe on roughly the same budget and it was just an average season for the media!

Agree with RG about Hopkin, easily the managerial performance of the season, and no mention whatsoever. 

There is definitely a media bias towards these young, smooth talker types as they absolutely love them. McNamara, McInnes, Archibald, Ross etc.

It is great for us, but I do wonder if it's slightly demolarising for Tommy that he doesn't even get mentioned for these jobs down south. It is a bit bizarre.  It can't be a stigma about style of football, as Warnock keeps picking up jobs, and half the championship play a direct style. 

Maybe Radford is right, clubs know he's content and wouldn't leave, though I'm not entirely convinced that's the case.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Maybe Radford is right, clubs know he's content and wouldn't leave, though I'm not entirely convinced that's the case.

It likely does put them off, tbf. You see the reaction of Sunderland fans absolutely creaming themselves over Ross, and you'd doubt a Northern Irish manager in his late 50s who's never managed outwith Scotland or Ireland would get the same reaction. 

It's not fair on TW that he's judged more on his age than ability, but that's what it is. Seems to be if you're British, and aren't already in the English game, you only get until your mid-40s before you just get ignored. 

29 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Hopkin was yet another victim of the daft rule that the end of season awards are decided before the end of the season. No one would be talking about Livingston or Hopkin if they had lost to DU.

They finished second in the league, on the lowest budget of any full time team, and had the bulk of the squad who'd been relegated to League One. He absolutely should've been talked about even if they'd failed to get promoted. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Was thinking the same on hearing about Jack Ross getting the Sunderland job. It's a great job for him but his whole time in management has been in an upward trajectory, and he's yet to experience a period of difficulty. If Sunderland go through a difficult spell he will soon know what pressure is.

I felt the same last season when Archibald took Thistle to sixth and he got nominated for manager of the year, whilst Tommy led Saints to fourth and Europe on roughly the same budget and it was just an average season for the media!

Agree with RG about Hopkin, easily the managerial performance of the season, and no mention whatsoever. 

There is definitely a media bias towards these young, smooth talker types as they absolutely love them. McNamara, McInnes, Archibald, Ross etc.

It is great for us, but I do wonder if it's slightly demolarising for Tommy that he doesn't even get mentioned for these jobs down south. It is a bit bizarre.  It can't be a stigma about style of football, as Warnock keeps picking up jobs, and half the championship play a direct style. 

Having spoken to the man at more than one occasion I would say he is content at Saints 

Was quoted openly questioning why? He would risk it The same as Lomus

I truly believe fee Clubs would tempt him , his country would though. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It likely does put them off, tbf. You see the reaction of Sunderland fans absolutely creaming themselves over Ross, and you'd doubt a Northern Irish manager in his late 50s who's never managed outwith Scotland or Ireland would get the same reaction. 

It's not fair on TW that he's judged more on his age than ability, but that's what it is. Seems to be if you're British, and aren't already in the English game, you only get until your mid-40s before you just get ignored. 

They finished second in the league, on the lowest budget of any full time team, and had the bulk of the squad who'd been relegated to League One. He absolutely should've been talked about even if they'd failed to get promoted. 

Get what you are saying about the age thing, but Ross has hardly been far, Hearts Academy, Alloa, St Mirren, but is highly rated and I think Hearts let him go due to politics rather than ability, but not done a patch on what Tommy has achieved at Perth

Tommy’s issue is that he is an unfashionable manager at an unfashionable club. As others have said, he’s a bit older and outside Scotland people will look for a younger manager/coach who they think the fans would relate to more. Tommy’s football isn’t quite Wimbledon of the 80’s/90’s but if you were the listen to Scottish pundits/media then it is And Jack Ross has his teams playing like Barca.

I could see Tommy going to a club in crisis who need a fix to keep them up down south, but someone like Sunderland is never going to happen.

Up here, if he was to move then it would only realistically be Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen And I don’t think their fans would want him.

He’s just at the right club at the right time at the right level.

As an aside, Calum Davidson must be looking thinking when is he going to get his chance. I’d say there is more likelihood of him moving on than Tommy.