Tommy Wright's position (title edited)

rik2304

17 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Tommy’s issue is that he is an unfashionable manager at an unfashionable club. As others have said, he’s a bit older and outside Scotland people will look for a younger manager/coach who they think the fans would relate to more. Tommy’s football isn’t quite Wimbledon of the 80’s/90’s but if you were the listen to Scottish pundits/media then it is And Jack Ross has his teams playing like Barca.

I could see Tommy going to a club in crisis who need a fix to keep them up down south, but someone like Sunderland is never going to happen.

Up here, if he was to move then it would only realistically be Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen And I don’t think their fans would want him.

He’s just at the right club at the right time at the right level.

As an aside, Calum Davidson must be looking thinking when is he going to get his chance. I’d say there is more likelihood of him moving on than Tommy.

Pretty much agree with this but would also add that if Tommy was genuinely ambitious about moving on then he would have his agent actively linking him to some of these jobs that come up down south. I tend to think the situation is that he would be interested if he was asked, but not desperately looking to the point that he's seriously putting himself out there. It could be that people like Jack Ross are more ambitious to get that move down south when they're still young, so have been a bit more pro-active about making it happen. I think that if you go back to the second half of 2014 in particular, when we'd just won the cup and knocked out Luzern, Tommy's stock was really high and that would have been the perfect time for him to get a Championship-level job in England.

On the subject of Davidson - if you look at what Alex Ferguson used to do at Man Utd, he regularly used to change who his number 2 was in order to keep things fresh and introduce new ideas, and I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world (for either Saints or for Davidson himself) if Tommy Wright was to take that approach too.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much agree with this but would also add that if Tommy was genuinely ambitious about moving on then he would have his agent actively linking him to some of these jobs that come up down south. I tend to think the situation is that he would be interested if he was asked, but not desperately looking to the point that he's seriously putting himself out there. It could be that people like Jack Ross are more ambitious to get that move down south when they're still young, so have been a bit more pro-active about making it happen.

This is how I feel as well but TW can't be seen to be unambitious for a variety of reasons, not least because it weakens his hand when it comes to things with Steve Brown.

Northern Ireland is maybe slipping away from him with Michael O'Neill's commitment to that job but why would he give up what he has at Saints both on and off the pitch when a bad start somewhere else and he'll be out the door.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much agree with this but would also add that if Tommy was genuinely ambitious about moving on then he would have his agent actively linking him to some of these jobs that come up down south. I tend to think the situation is that he would be interested if he was asked, but not desperately looking to the point that he's seriously putting himself out there. It could be that people like Jack Ross are more ambitious to get that move down south when they're still young, so have been a bit more pro-active about making it happen. I think that if you go back to the second half of 2014 in particular, when we'd just won the cup and knocked out Luzern, Tommy's stock was really high and that would have been the perfect time for him to get a Championship-level job in England.

On the subject of Davidson - if you look at what Alex Ferguson used to do at Man Utd, he regularly used to change who his number 2 was in order to keep things fresh and introduce new ideas, and I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world (for either Saints or for Davidson himself) if Tommy Wright was to take that approach too.

Agree, I’m pretty sure the likes of Ross, Neilson before him and probably Hopkins will have, vis their agents, made it clear that for the right club, they'd be willing to move on.

I suspect Tommy doesn’t work that way. Add to that, that if a young manager comes into a club, they’d make clear from the off that they are ambitious, so someone like St Mirren would be expecting to loose Ross eventually. Tommy got the Saints job in different circumstances. That’s not to say he’s not ambitious, he is, but he’s a different sort from the others.

If Tommy made it clear he’d be open to a move now, I think we’d see his name mentioned.

3 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Agree, I’m pretty sure the likes of Ross, Neilson before him and probably Hopkins will have, vis their agents, made it clear that for the right club, they'd be willing to move on.

The Hopkin position illustrates your point perfectly.  His agent has made all the running and has managed to get the local paper to give him a mention.  When asked to comment the Shrewsbury Town CEO simply acknowledged that he knew what Hopkin had achieved (no doubt via the agent) and said he would be open to suggestions if the current manager left.  At the very least the agent will be hoping to improve the offer Livingston have put on the table.