St.Johnstone v Rangers 19:45 27/2/18

541ntees

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We've had the better chances, Williams shot was the best of the match. Rangers have been more clinical. Not hard to understand why players confidence gets sapped when they're absolutely demolished over this. 

By all accounts we were all over them the last time they visited McD - until the sending off after which it was another 3 goal junkett for them. Be prepared for a hiding anytime they get in front.

Edited by Indicator

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Theres better resources and then there's a team spending nigh on £1m on one player and having the likes of Jason Cummings not even being a regular. 

We've had the better chances, Williams shot was the best of the match. Rangers have been more clinical. Not hard to understand why players confidence gets sapped when they're absolutely demolished over this. 

So the reason the team haven’t performed is because fans who want a better standard get on underperforming players backs? Okay doke. Professional, right enough. 

Just now, Indicator said:

By all accounts we were all over them the last time they visited McD - until the sending off after which it was another 3 goal junkett for them. As I said previously it's nearly always a hiding anytime they get in front.

Theyve scored with every shot on target they've had. I'm not sure what folk are expecting Saints to do, limiting them to four shots on target in an hour is far better than we usually manage. 

Just now, HertsAgain said:

So the reason the team haven’t performed is because fans who want a better standard get on underperforming players backs? Okay doke. Professional, right enough. 

Read Graham Cummins comments. Or maybe watch how Wotherspoon regressed on Saturday after having half the stand hurl abuse at him for passing the ball backwards at 2-0 up with ten minutes left. 

The reason Saints play better away is because the fan base actually back them, at home its just a dirge of folk screaming abuse at their own players. 

Guest ScottMann

Jeez, I dont what's worse, that game or Random Guy repeating the same crap over and over on here. Both of them dire stuff. 5 points from 5 games against the Old Firm this season yet we should just not bother our arse tonight. **** me. That was just dreadful and there's no excuse for it at all. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

It's been a poor display against much better opposition. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd hate it if the positive feeling from Saturday was wiped out because folk are unwilling to understand we can't compete with teams spending well beyond their means

Well if the SFA/SPFL and clubs themselves won't take any action then it's time the fans did. FFS what's the point in any football competition when ONE CLUB can walk over all the rules that others have to abide by.

Only in Scotland.

Edited by Indicator

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Theres better resources and then there's a team spending nigh on £1m on one player and having the likes of Jason Cummings not even being a regular. 

Maybe had better chances but never win anything defending like that, back to same crap defending like a few weeks ago, need to get it sorted for Saturday.

When you play the likes of Rangers, you have to close them down and not give them the chance to find their passing rhythm....unfortunatley, we didn't do that.

I really hope Willocks just had a poor game and that is not his usual standard. He was very disappointing. Didn't think Williams added much either, although he did make the keeper have  a good save in the first half.

Hopefully we will put on a better show on Sat.

3 minutes ago, PanamaSaint said:

Transition period time. Please don't knock the stuffing out of these very promising young lads on this forum. 

If "these very promising young lads" pull on a Saints shirt and produce a defensive display like that where they look as if they've either never kicked a football nor seen each other in their lives, I think most folk have reason to be critical.

4 minutes ago, MrBored said:

When you play the likes of Rangers, you have to close them down and not give them the chance to find their passing rhythm....unfortunatley, we didn't do that.

I really hope Willocks just had a poor game and that is not his usual standard. He was very disappointing. Didn't think Williams added much either, although he did make the keeper have  a good save in the first half.

Hopefully we will put on a better show on Sat.

I was hoping that I just wasn't reading Willock's game right, but glad I'm not the only one to question him. Doesn't appear to be able to pass. Not obvious he can tackle. Always on the wrong side of his man. Looks like a lost wee boy positionally. 

But he's from Man U so he must be good, right?

Ease up on our defence folks.. They were up against a £50M striker were they not.  We had decent pressure in spells. That 3rd goal was a killer. Never a foul. At the game can see the clear change in direction of the ball, then to get a free-kick and booking and conceding was an error from the ref. Not surprised At the ref. 

Second half effort to the end, looking fitter that's for sure.. roll on Saturday, hope the forecast Beast from the East isn't too bad so can get this game out our system quickly.

Pissed off at Killie getting a point at Hearts tonight. Shytebags!

Normal service resumed.

Ando & Kerr caught out for pace with through balls behind defence.

Fourth goal, Kerr had a simple pass back to Mannus but put it out for a throw. He then let Morelos past him to make Mannus look daft allowing the ball in at impossible angle.

We had good chances in second half but couldn't take them. Ando had a more or less free header & missed it completely.

Williams couldmake a good contribution for the rest of the season but Willox didn't impress & looked lost,looking like he didn't know what was expected of him but his passing was poor.

I think the team Tommy put out showed he was more interested in Saturdays game.

Edited by Cagey

That was a really poor performance by Saints. So many players just showing no courage whatsoever to try to get the ball down and make something happen.  Our fringe players did themselves no favours, though Williams on occasions tried to get the ball down and play and had a couple of decent moments.

Willock will be playing English non league football in a couple of seasons, Alston cannot play central so don't know why we started him there, and Liam Craig doesn't have the legs to play wide against strong opposition.  Very tough night for Comrie coming into the team in a tough fixture playing on the wrong side of the park, but after early promise when he first appeared 18 months ago, he seems to spend most of his time frantically trying to make up for his poor positional play. He never looks composed, even less so when he's on the ball.

Chris Kane as well. Gets a lot of encouragement because he works his socks off. But everything is a struggle and a battle with him, he never has comfortable possession. How often does he hold the ball up and find a teammate, or play a good cross, or an assist. He gets cheered because he runs 20 yards to cut out a centre half clearing the ball. He has to do far more on the ball.  If it means he's lazy a couple of times a match and let's the full back out with the ball then fine, if it means he's going to be fresher to do something with it next time he receives it.

A defeat is fair enough, but I think a lot of our players tonight were weak and lacked courage, which is disappointing.

If any Saints fans still drone on about Chris Millar being 35, can't offer him a new deal etc, then I give up. I'd give him a three year deal when I see the way he plays then watch that shambles of a midfield performance tonight.

Let's not get too worked up over a defeat to a team that has a budget way above ours (and way above what any sensible accountant would allow.)

Willock looked dreadfully naive at points and Williams still has alot to prove that he's going to have the attitude that we need to help us in a dog fight.

Let's get Millar back in the team and pick ourselves up against Hamilton.