Youth Academy News

Sevco zombie

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

On the OS last Wednesday. Where else did you want it ?.

Played his first games last Saturday in a 2 -1 away win to CSS.

They play their home games at Alloa's home ground.

Maybe Mainstand  can update us if he is not attending Saints games.

Sorry I was meaning I hadn't seen it mentioned on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mainstand said:

Beaten 2 1 after extra  time I believe. 

Yes. High energy performance closing down their opponents 1st half and led through a close range finish at half time.

Tired in the 2nd half against bigger lads and eventually conceded the lead, forcing extra time.

After an almighty stramash in the Saints box (when several attempts failed to clear) the ball was prodded into the Saints net,  giving 'Well a 2-1 victory.

It could have been so much different if Saints had taken their chances when one-on-one with the keeper.

John Robertson was dispossessed when trying to round the keeper and on another occasion should have got a shot away, instead of allowing the keeper to block.

He's usually lethal in these situations.

'Well brought on a sub. striker who looked 6'6". 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I see that Gerry Creaney was speaking at the DSA meeting last night, having been billed as Head of Youth. I didn't realise such a role existed or that Creaney had filled it. 

Did he have much interesting to say? @andrew

Alastair Stevenson still heads up youth, Gerry answers to him as Head of Youth Coaching.

Gerry was fascinating to listen to as he explained how the youth system works in some detail.

I posted a brief summary of his near two hour session on the SJDSA Facebook group page. Nothing said about specific individuals, only general chat around how St Johnstone work and how Project Brave affects the club.

Edited by andrew

2 hours ago, andrew said:

Alastair Stevenson still heads up youth, Gerry answers to him as Head of Youth Coaching.

Gerry was fascinating to listen to as he explained how the youth system works in some detail.

I posted a brief summary of his near two hour session on the SJDSA Facebook group page. Nothing said about specific individuals, only general chat around how St Johnstone work and how Project Brave affects the club.

Want to share it with us non facebookers?

14 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Want to share it with us non facebookers?

Nothing Gerry said was specific to individuals so why not :)

***SJDSA Meeting***

Thursday 29 November 2018

Gerry Creaney, Head of Youth Coaching at St Johnstone was our guest.

It was very interesting listening to what Gerry had to say and to be able to ask questions about his work at the club. Working under Project Brave at the second tier requires three full time staff but an additional four if at the elite level. This would be a very large commitment for St Johnstone who are in the second tier along with Ross County, ICT, Partick Th, St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Ayr Utd and one other. Gerry answers to Alastair Stevenson who is Head of Youth. Everyone working in the youth game is in it to contribute and to see players develop.

Gerry works with the 13-16 age group and recommends players to under 18 level. Tony Smith works as Head of Children.

An important element in teaching children involves assessing mindset - positive is obviously preferred to negative!

The best attributes for working with youth are experience and patience.

Technically players should excel and not just be proficient. There is a strong emphasis on passing and teamwork, following instructions.

The curriculum is set and managed to aim for the best outcome.

Players develop through maturation of bones, tendons, etc., and can’t be fully assessed until after this stage.

Children are reviewed constantly, including monitoring by head of sports science, and Gerry attends many matches to look for and assess players. Patience was repeatedly stressed.

Not over stressed but challenged, every aspect is looked at, including nutrition - an holistic approach.

Friday night matches take place, with Sunday games too.

Reports are made to parents. Realistic expectations are encouraged.

Discipline and application are important and care is taken with each child, particularly with the selection process to ensure they can cope with playing against other teams, physically and otherwise.

Statistically very few players make it to play for their club’s first team, possibly fewer than 1%. Disappointment is almost guaranteed for the majority. Hard work, desire and commitment are required.

Part time clubs can take on those who have not been able to progress at full time level, which includes from 16 to 35.

The club look to treat children well and have developed a good reputation within the game.

Games are March to June and August to December. Training is ongoing. Planning, scouting, video analysis - for coaches and players.

Culture will prevail over strategy, so developing a positive culture is vital, along with a pathway to the first team.

Nine last year, eight this year, signed professional contracts.

We have under 9’s, they have dreams, never extinguish them.

Plan, organise, fund but it has to be worth it.

Please come along to meetings if you can!  All members, non members, personal assistants and advocates are welcome!

Actually we have been so successful, and the club so accommodating, that last night we had little or nothing in the way of issues to discuss. Bev mentioned her attendance at a CAFE event and next year’s day of action, but certainly nothing else was noted. A strong measure of our success as a group is that our guest took up all of our time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its that time of year again where i give an update on what has been going on at youth level ,with my lad now at u18 level i was hoping i would not need to continue to do this ,the reason why is when you go onto other teams websites or twitter feeds they have a dedicated page or twitter account for their u18s ,before i continue though as always any negative comments i make are my own ,they are no way connected to my lad (he loves it at saints ) or any other player or parent .

As most off you know this season saw a new under 18s league (great success)being formed and the re appearance of the reserve league (total disaster ),these were formed as a way to bridge the gap between the 17s and formerly the under 20s  and first team ,but this has had the total opposite affect and now the gap is even bigger .

lets start with the 18s .

8 players from the the u17s signed their first full time contracts at a professional club,thats  one down from the previous year ,a great feeling for these players and for the club who should look at this as prove they have an academy that is working ,difference is though these players didn't get the same coverage as the previous 9 from the season before ,  no press coverage no hospitality .also now the season is under way there is no match reports ,player profiles ,interviews etc on any official saints site or their tv channel .it would be good i think for the club to really showcase the 18s in the same way other clubs do .

the set up of the 18s sees them playing all the elite clubs first then the performance clubs ,their is also a cup competition as well,they also have lineman at every game and all games are recorded so that they can analyse player performance .results have been a mixed bag this season some very good ones but also some bad ones ,the last two game against hibs and hearts both very good games saw saints draw with hibs 3 - 3 and after being 2 0 down  against hearts saints came back and won  3- 2 their next game is at home to rangers on march 1st ,the coaching staff for the 18s are very good and this is starting to show with a few of the boys  also playing for the reserves .

john Robertson -striker 

olly Hamilton -striker 

Jordan northcott -left midfield

Kyle green - midfield     ,to me they are the stand outs this season on a consistent basis ,they also have a very good couple of 16 year old on the bench ,so thats a wee bit about the 18s as per usual id encourage you all to come along and give your support as these boys may be your future first team players .

ill give my thought on the reserve team set up in Scotland at a later date and why i think its a disaster for young players .

enjoy your Sunday,i am off to the exy to watch the football and the band Ricky and the breakers ,wee plug for them as the lead singer is my gfs dad  

On 2/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, sevcozombie2 said:

Its that time of year again where i give an update on what has been going on at youth level ,with my lad now at u18 level i was hoping i would not need to continue to do this ,the reason why is when you go onto other teams websites or twitter feeds they have a dedicated page or twitter account for their u18s ,before i continue though as always any negative comments i make are my own ,they are no way connected to my lad (he loves it at saints ) or any other player or parent .

As most off you know this season saw a new under 18s league (great success)being formed and the re appearance of the reserve league (total disaster ),these were formed as a way to bridge the gap between the 17s and formerly the under 20s  and first team ,but this has had the total opposite affect and now the gap is even bigger .

lets start with the 18s .

8 players from the the u17s signed their first full time contracts at a professional club,thats  one down from the previous year ,a great feeling for these players and for the club who should look at this as prove they have an academy that is working ,difference is though these players didn't get the same coverage as the previous 9 from the season before ,  no press coverage no hospitality .also now the season is under way there is no match reports ,player profiles ,interviews etc on any official saints site or their tv channel .it would be good i think for the club to really showcase the 18s in the same way other clubs do .

the set up of the 18s sees them playing all the elite clubs first then the performance clubs ,their is also a cup competition as well,they also have lineman at every game and all games are recorded so that they can analyse player performance .results have been a mixed bag this season some very good ones but also some bad ones ,the last two game against hibs and hearts both very good games saw saints draw with hibs 3 - 3 and after being 2 0 down  against hearts saints came back and won  3- 2 their next game is at home to rangers on march 1st ,the coaching staff for the 18s are very good and this is starting to show with a few of the boys  also playing for the reserves .

john Robertson -striker 

olly Hamilton -striker 

Jordan northcott -left midfield

Kyle green - midfield     ,to me they are the stand outs this season on a consistent basis ,they also have a very good couple of 16 year old on the bench ,so thats a wee bit about the 18s as per usual id encourage you all to come along and give your support as these boys may be your future first team players .

ill give my thought on the reserve team set up in Scotland at a later date and why i think its a disaster for young players .

enjoy your Sunday,i am off to the exy to watch the football and the band Ricky and the breakers ,wee plug for them as the lead singer is my gfs dad  

Looks like the club have no interest in 18s or maybe the fans as there has been no info on how the game went today.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:08 PM, Cagey said:

Looks like the club have no interest in 18s or maybe the fans as there has been no info on how the game went today.

thats my point it shouldn't be up to myself to do reports or updates on how they are doing ,i do it because they dont get a mention from the club ,how are they meant to feel part of a family club when they are not even acknowledged ,no press coverage when 8 of them went pro no updated team photos ,old strips the list goes on ,do not  get me wrong the the training etc is excellent  ,its just that side that bugs me .

the result on Friday was 3 -1 to rangers , Kyle green scored for saints 

33 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

thats my point it shouldn't be up to myself to do reports or updates on how they are doing ,i do it because they dont get a mention from the club ,how are they meant to feel part of a family club when they are not even acknowledged ,no press coverage when 8 of them went pro no updated team photos ,old strips the list goes on ,do not  get me wrong the the training etc is excellent  ,its just that side that bugs me .

the result on Friday was 3 -1 to rangers , Kyle green scored for saints 

Thanks for that. Communications are improving slightly but restricted to first team & bus travel.