John Muir

Greylag

Saddened to hear of the death of former player John Muir.  He had a few very good seasons in a good Saints side.  He certainly knew his way to goal.  I always felt he did better in the early weeks of each season when the pitches were at their best.  Heavier pitches inevitably saw him get injured.  Great player for us and indeed for Alloa too.

Singed from Alloa from for £10,000 with the proceeds from the 1969 League Cup Final. No keeping money for a rainy day back then.

Nicked named Mano by the other players as they thought he looked like Manolito a character in the High Chaparral which was on BBC 2, one of the first programmes that was in colour here.

He played a lot under Jackie Stewart and strangely a high percentage that team have passed away at a relatively young age Derek Robertson, Gordon Smith, Jim Argue , Gordon Crammond and Duncan Lambie.

Thanks John for the goals and the memories.

• 4 years later...
On 2/28/2018 at 2:22 PM, Greylag said:

Saddened to hear of the death of former player John Muir.  He had a few very good seasons in a good Saints side.  He certainly knew his way to goal.  I always felt he did better in the early weeks of each season when the pitches were at their best.  Heavier pitches inevitably saw him get injured.  Great player for us and indeed for Alloa too.

Thank you so much for the kind words. If anyone knows anywhere I can get hold of any footage from his games please get in touch it would mean the world to me. His son Jonathan.

13 hours ago, Jonathan Muir said:

Thank you so much for the kind words. If anyone knows anywhere I can get hold of any footage from his games please get in touch it would mean the world to me. His son Jonathan.

You will find 4 or 5 clips from Saints games from the 1970’s on YouTube, not sure if your dad is in any of them.