Dundee ban Daily Ranger

Havana Saint

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

They should be OK after getting 1.5 million for a young centre half that was getting overhyped & Rodgers was desperate for a centre half at midnight on deadline day.

Where is he now ?.

Being touted for Scotland call up along with all the Soutars, McKennas of this world, as they pay for BIG teams, think Kerr should be getting a mention as good as the aforementioned.

Dundee a city full of teams in financial crisis ............tick tock..........

Doesn’t sound too clever at dens financially, but it’s the state of our game and the terrible media deals the league gets, that means all clubs are one or two seasons away only from disaster.

I wonder if the goings on over the street increase the likelihood of a ground share at the site at Campersdown?

The Hendry money will help Dundee, but shows that for most clubs, they are reliant on selling a player every few seasons. Not sure Saints have much in the way of sellable assets at the moment.

25 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Doesn’t sound too clever at dens financially, but it’s the state of our game and the terrible media deals the league gets, that means all clubs are one or two seasons away only from disaster.

I wonder if the goings on over the street increase the likelihood of a ground share at the site at Campersdown?

The Hendry money will help Dundee, but shows that for most clubs, they are reliant on selling a player every few seasons. Not sure Saints have much in the way of sellable assets at the moment.

At one point I thought Clark would be a sellable asset but he has regressed . Kerr looks a prospect but it is too soon to judge.

In my view we do not give the young guys enough chances to shine. They will get a game & do well & never be seen again until the next emergency.

Any player young or experienced needs a run in the team to get the best out of them. You can't sit in the stand week after week & be expected to come into a team & be up to full speed.

It is a grim situation......for every club out with the 5 clubs who can fill their stadia.....everyone else is close to the grubber.

As Dundee continues to enjoy something of a renaissance, both clubs are in a perilous state.  It would appear the new cultural circumstances of the city might not include the football clubs.....DFC have been treading water for decades, United are currently in a worse condition.  

2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

It is a grim situation......for every club out with the 5 clubs who can fill their stadia.....everyone else is close to the grubber.

As Dundee continues to enjoy something of a renaissance, both clubs are in a perilous state.  It would appear the new cultural circumstances of the city might not include the football clubs.....DFC have been treading water for decades, United are currently in a worse condition.  

Exactly. United have drawn in millions in transfer fees over the years & yet they are going burst. What happened to this money.

7 hours ago, Cagey said:

Exactly. United have drawn in millions in transfer fees over the years & yet they are going burst. What happened to this money.

My understanding is the cash was used to pay debts......mostly loans from the Thompson family.  Legally he was entitled to cash in.....morally?......

I wonder just how much DUFC have forked out to steady the ship since  JM left.......talk about false economy!

30 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

My understanding is the cash was used to pay debts......mostly loans from the Thompson family.  Legally he was entitled to cash in.....morally?......

I wonder just how much DUFC have forked out to steady the ship since  JM left.......talk about false economy!

Proves the point of only an idiot would ever buy/invest in a football club.

Dundee has the fan ownership model and decided to give it up and while I don’t think the American are as corrupt as others in the past, how much would they really care if it all went wrong. 

Thompson I think actually does care about Utd, but obviously not as much as his dad and clearly isn’t great at running the club. Utd have a big enough fan base to survive a few bad years and enough to bail them out financially if needs be, but a prolonged spell out of the top flight will erode that and as Saints/Hamilton/Raith/Ayr etc all show, once you loose enough fans from the habit, it’s very very difficult to attract them back or attract new ones.

14 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Proves the point of only an idiot would ever buy/invest in a football club.

Dundee has the fan ownership model and decided to give it up and while I don’t think the American are as corrupt as others in the past, how much would they really care if it all went wrong. 

Thompson I think actually does care about Utd, but obviously not as much as his dad and clearly isn’t great at running the club. Utd have a big enough fan base to survive a few bad years and enough to bail them out financially if needs be, but a prolonged spell out of the top flight will erode that and as Saints/Hamilton/Raith/Ayr etc all show, once you loose enough fans from the habit, it’s very very difficult to attract them back or attract new ones.

I hope you're right about United being able to survive a few bad years, its beginning to look precarious for United, and more besides.  I find watching Sportscene utterly depressing, spot the fan on the gaping stands in garish primary colours......and the football on display is medieval.   I watched a couple of minutes of Well v  Hearts yesterday, an antidote to anything resembling football........maybe I'm just gettting old!

2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

I hope you're right about United being able to survive a few bad years, its beginning to look precarious for United, and more besides.  I find watching Sportscene utterly depressing, spot the fan on the gaping stands in garish primary colours......and the football on display is medieval.   I watched a couple of minutes of Well v  Hearts yesterday, an antidote to anything resembling football........maybe I'm just gettting old!

Have to agree, the standard of Scottish football at the moment is incredibly poor (the lack of quality seems to stand out even more when you watch it on TV), and yet bizarrely there's an annual outcry when our clubs get knocked out of Europe. And I don't see the shambolic SFA ever doing anything about it.

On the subject of the two Dundee clubs, I find it incredible that the pair of them haven't done more to change their situation. They've both been struggling for years, Dundee have been in and out of administration several times, and yet they continue to play at outdated grounds a few metres from one another. The pair of them should have pooled their resources and built a new shared facility 20 or more years ago, instead of chucking money at Tannadice and Dens.

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Have to agree, the standard of Scottish football at the moment is incredibly poor (the lack of quality seems to stand out even more when you watch it on TV), and yet bizarrely there's an annual outcry when our clubs get knocked out of Europe. And I don't see the shambolic SFA ever doing anything about it.

On the subject of the two Dundee clubs, I find it incredible that the pair of them haven't done more to change their situation. They've both been struggling for years, Dundee have been in and out of administration several times, and yet they continue to play at outdated grounds a few metres from one another. The pair of them should have pooled their resources and built a new shared facility 20 or more years ago, instead of chucking money at Tannadice and Dens.

The club's have been in communication at various points over the last 30 years, with ground sharing and 'merger' on the agenda.  Dens is currently owned by John Bennett  (this may have changed recently, not 100% sure) and Bennett let the club rent it back for £1 per year.  The difficulty is the huge patch of land housing both stadia, is pretty much worthless.   I would have no difficulty giving DFC the shed end to build a two tier stand wth office space etc, but there is no money, and the pitch unlikely to take 2 games per week.

The camperdown idea is interesting, I suspect this is kite flying, hoping to garner support from civic dundee, lottery, sports scotland,  United, Scottish government and anyone else,  to try to rejuvenate professional football in the city.    It remains to be seen if this initiative has any legs at all.

I did here our new chairman assure everyone that administration is not imminent andhe has plans to trade into the next season and beyond regardless of league status.   It is depressing to consider just how bleak the picture is for United, and our game overall. 

Another major concern is the outlook for international football in the  face of megabucks investors in super clubs, international matches are increasingly viewed as unnecessary risks to eye-wateringly expensive investments.  By the end of the next decade World Cups and European championships may follow the way of the FA Cup to ever decreasing significance.  This would be another body blow for the Scottish game, we are already way behind, for a nation that still has among the highest gates/population ratio in Europe and participation rates to match anywhere, the 'product' is pants.

13 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

The camperdown idea is interesting, I suspect this is kite flying, hoping to garner support from civic dundee, lottery, sports scotland,  United, Scottish government and anyone else,  to try to rejuvenate professional football in the city.    It remains to be seen if this initiative has any legs at all.

I haven't been keeping up to date with the Camperdown stuff - would the eventual plan be for both clubs to play there, or just Dundee?

Currently just DFC, but as I say, this looks like kite flying.  They recently pleaded for an additional 1000 fans per home game, just to break even, I don't need to tell any of the faithful at McD how difficult that would be to achieve.

The city is emerging from this latest phase of de-industrialisation, in far better shape than the previous episodes.  V&A, Waterfront development, Slesser Gardens, The Rep, DCA, Science Centre, UNESCO city of design, hipsterds, Brewdog, elegant eateries, fancy hotels, thousands of students keeping the centre buzzing, loads of positive things coming together, but the traditional entertainment for the dwindling industrial working class.....the football clubs are.....dwindling along with their audience!  I suspect the US investors see an opportunity to tag on to the cultural renaissance and a purpose built municipal sports stadium, with adjoining training and conference facilities would be a neat and a timely fit.  There was even talk of an adjoining crematorium to bring in steady revenue.

All looks good on paper, and now that united are under new stewardship, perhaps the new regime see similar opportunities as a road map away from what is surely relentless, possibly terminal decline.

How much of this will happen? I have no idea how far down the road the has gone or will go.......but I am an optimist at heart.  ;)

Edited by Smarmy Arab

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

On a slightly different topic (nonetheless Dundee related ) Strachan recalls his time at Dens when the players pants were washed once a week on a Friday.

Confirms they are ......................(complete as appropriate)

So you have fresh pants on match day! makes perfect sense to me, when do you wash yours Hoodie? ;)

4 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

So you have fresh pants on match day! makes perfect sense to me, when do you wash yours Hoodie? ;)

I don't.  I have a nice lady that looks after me. No, not my carer.:laugh:

Dundee wore them all week during the training sessions before washing them.

Did they seriously only have one pair each.

Frazer Wright had a different pair for every team he played against, so he had his opposite number in his back pocket.:wink: