St Johnstone v Hibernian, Friday 16th March @ 19.45 Match Thread

PanamaSaint

That’s a shocker on Liam - bbc were quick enough to highlight Zander and McCann last Saturday which was nothing compared to that.

compliance officer will do nothing as the biased broadcaster picks and chooses what they highlight

We never seem to get the verdict from the compliance officer- the only one I can think of was Anderson v hearts

Can only hope that all that white coming out of the media will fire up the team.

Week after week we seem to have commuted half the foul count but double the bookings.

Have to admit all the bookings last night were deserved but would have been nice if opponents were booked for same offences.

Guy took out Williams with a trip near the end but never got talked to never mind booked. In fact I don't think the ref was going to give foul.

Alston's challenge is never a red card. As it wasn't a dangerous tackle it was no different to him pulling someone down by the shirt.

Cheating, yes. Cynical, most definitely. Frustrating for the opposition, of course. But change the challenge to a clear pull on the shirt and you'd look like a total clown greetin' for a red card.

Happy with 1-1. The way our season has panned out I will take any points we get, regardless of how we end up getting them. Essentially we need to become Hamilton until the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

Essentially we need to become Hamilton until the end of the season.

Whit?!  Who wants to be inferior?  We're already better than Accies so you want us picking up less points? 

Did you not mean Celtic, e.g. win every game?

6 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Whit?!  Who wants to be inferior?  We're already better than Accies so you want us picking up less points? 

Did you not mean Celtic, e.g. win every game?

No just mean win ugly, get wins out of nowhere. Accies have a habit of doing it at the tail end of every season.

Although I'm pretty confident Dundee and County will be the bottom two...but I'd rather be well away from that come the split.

21 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

Alston's challenge is never a red card. As it wasn't a dangerous tackle it was no different to him pulling someone down by the shirt.

Cheating, yes. Cynical, most definitely. Frustrating for the opposition, of course. But change the challenge to a clear pull on the shirt and you'd look like a total clown greetin' for a red card.

I agree with your logic. However, for me I would say it was a dangerous tackle. There may have been no studs showing but he wiped the guy out. This wasn't a sly tug on the shirt or a subtle trip. Anyway, the ref obviously saw it differently and that is something I am grateful for.

On a different note, why is this kind of cynical cheating acceptable, but diving to win a penalty isn't?

Personally I was pleased to see some of our players 'taking one for the team'. 

As for McGinn ,he is a diving ,cheating little prick who is not averse to taking one for the team.

As for Lennon, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. He was one of the dirtiest players to play in Scottish football after Souness.

19 hours ago, Cagey said:

Personally I was pleased to see some of our players 'taking one for the team'. 

As for McGinn ,he is a diving ,cheating little prick who is not averse to taking one for the team.

As for Lennon, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. He was one of the dirtiest players to play in Scottish football after Souness.

where was John Pelosi in that order ?

One of my favorite Saintees ever

Good result that saw the game changed by the deserved sending off of the keeper.

It was a very robust performance from us and if I'm totally honest I can understand why Hibs fans would leave thinking we were pretty dirty at points. They certainly weren't shrinking violets either, but at times our tackling was fairly late and clumsy.

The lads gave plenty effort and I'm glad Kane got a goal to match another very good performance. His two misses were really poor and I was a little worried his confidence would dip.

Shame Millar had such an off night in the first half, but what was even more disappointing was the fact that Liam's passing seemed to go downhill when he switched centrally.

For me it's essential we move Tanser forward into left midfield for next season. The guy is weak in the challenge, but the balls that the lad can put into the box are excellent. His constant quality balls into the box are a real threat for us. I'd like to see us give him some game time in a more forward position once we are safe from the drop and Easton is back.

As for McGinn, let's give credit where credit is due. He was the most talented player on the park and is destined for bigger things than Hibs. He ran the show for them, won possession several times, drove the ball forward continually and picked some cracking passes. His tactical foul was much the same as Alston- both tactical cheating and not really a big deal.

7 hours ago, Dooj said:

I agree with your logic. However, for me I would say it was a dangerous tackle. There may have been no studs showing but he wiped the guy out. This wasn't a sly tug on the shirt or a subtle trip. Anyway, the ref obviously saw it differently and that is something I am grateful for.

On a different note, why is this kind of cynical cheating acceptable, but diving to win a penalty isn't?

After being "Wiped Out" he was back on his two feet quicker than Alston.!

Slick DT I quite like your post but dont accept McGinn was the best player.He has talent for sure but Friday was not one of his better games in my opinion.Hindering him was Hibs lack of desire to go on the offensive very often (one shot on target) and the other handicaps displayed were rolling on the grass a lot and running alongside Beaton with constant moaning.Cammy Bell was their MVP and ours was Kane. IMHO

On 17/03/2018 at 7:26 AM, Wendy Saints said:

The media in general brand as a physical side .. then you have idiots like Leveine mouthing off about us being dirty.. funny how half our team are injured due to other folks thuggery!? But that's ok it's only Saints? We had a great start to the season O'Halloran was on fire . .. he was assaulted by O'dea down at Dens, barely kicked a ball afterwards & we went on a wee downward spiral.. McMillan assaulted on his first game broken nose... ligament damage! Lost count of how many times Scougall was woofed up in the air with no protection from the ref.. you can be sure even if we are 'physical' we will be punished unlike other teams! COYS nobody likes us we don't care! 

Agree. If you were to believe all you hear and read , you would think these players crocked themselves. 

McGinn is one who can dish it out but can't take it. 

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Agree. If you were to believe all you hear and read , you would think these players crocked themselves. 

McGinn is one who can dish it out but can't take it. 

Scottish internationalist and media favourite can walk on water, but still managed to be taken out by Alston :laugh:

15 hours ago, croc said:

After being "Wiped Out" he was back on his two feet quicker than Alston.!

I agree he jumped up in a flash and stamped his feet like a petulant toddler not getting his way! However, I surmise had  he rolled about on the ground Alston would have walked.. Alston 1 - McGinn 0..

how dare Alston dare to challenge the mighty McGinn

On 17/03/2018 at 11:05 AM, Cagey said:

Yeah,Muzz had a good last 10 mins but before that he missed every tackle & header. Maybe has to go to specsavers. Seriously though there seemed to be a few players dazzled by the lights. Never noticed that before.

I am a Murray fan, can normally be relied upon to rally the troops with his guns ho attitude but sadly off form.. no criticism from me tho merely an observation 

On 17/03/2018 at 8:11 AM, Dave H said:

Glad I'm not the only one who see's this. I think Tommy has to address this with some Mourinho style facts!  Surely we have a right to contest the media, refs and misplaced reputation!

Tommy definitely should, if you can’t beat them join them... it is ridiculous the way we are treated and held in such low esteem... it really gets my goat.. Tommy is good at backing his players and hopefully will get a chance to have his say.. time to ‘man up’ and stop being everyone’s whipping boys... 

Saints took a lot of stick for not being able to beat 10 man Hibs ,even from a goal down.

Multimillion pound Celtic can't score or even get many shots on target.

It is not easy playing 10 men. Saints played with 10 against Dundee & were unlucky to get beat after hammering them second half.

• 2 weeks later...

Hibs  are the most fouled team in league & Lennon uses it to have another go at Saints. 17 fouls & 5 yellow cards makes us a dirty team .

Could some of these 17 fouls not be because McGinn is a diving wee b****** who is getting more hunshed & lower to the ground that he is falling over all the time.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Hibs  are the most fouled team in league & Lennon uses it to have another go at Saints. 17 fouls & 5 yellow cards makes us a dirty team .

Could some of these 17 fouls not be because McGinn is a diving wee b****** who is getting more hunshed & lower to the ground that he is falling over all the time.

His first challenge in the International was when he fouled his opponent.

Hate these barstewards that dish it out , then squeal when they can't take it.