How much to buy St Johnstone?

Shibbydoo

I'm a Saints fan, lapsed season ticket holder but have been in more than 10 of the last 20 years. I go to at least 75% of games a season, have more than one Saints tattoo, have brought my kids up to be St Johnstone fans, BUT and it's a big but, if I won 150M on the lottery tomorrow I would not buy the club, **** THAT.

I would invest a bit, would build a training complex. Overhaul the marketing etc but would I **** want to have day to day running of a football club. I'd be too busy trying to spend 100M.

Guest ScottMann
35 minutes ago, jhq said:

I assume he means Paul Wright.  Don't think Geoff personally funded that one.

That's the first time I've heard that one! Dodds is famously the only time Geoff put any money in after buying the club. It's unreal how the myth he's funded Saints is still believed.

Interestingly, we always talk about '£400k for the Dodds transfer' but let's not forget it was really the Dodds/McMartin transfer and the fee was £500k. I was told at the time that the whole half million was for Dodds but Grant McMartin was included and given a price to help keep down a sell on fee Dundee had to pay to Chelsea for Dodds. 

2 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

I'm a Saints fan, lapsed season ticket holder but have been in more than 10 of the last 20 years. I go to at least 75% of games a season, have more than one Saints tattoo, have brought my kids up to be St Johnstone fans, BUT and it's a big but, if I won 150M on the lottery tomorrow I would not buy the club, **** THAT.

I would invest a bit, would build a training complex. Overhaul the marketing etc but would I **** want to have day to day running of a football club. I'd be too busy trying to spend 100M.

you can always get more tattoos

2 hours ago, ScottMann said:

That's the first time I've heard that one! Dodds is famously the only time Geoff put any money in after buying the club. It's unreal how the myth he's funded Saints is still believed.

Interestingly, we always talk about '£400k for the Dodds transfer' but let's not forget it was really the Dodds/McMartin transfer and the fee was £500k. I was told at the time that the whole half million was for Dodds but Grant McMartin was included and given a price to help keep down a sell on fee Dundee had to pay to Chelsea for Dodds. 

Was McMartin any good? Can't say I've ever heard of him before 

On 24/03/2018 at 2:21 PM, ScottMann said:

Yip. I think the split was c£300k for Dodds and £200k for McMartin. Crazy to think now, but seem to recall that Chelsea werent too happy about it.

Remember being really happy about the Dodds signing at the time, but ultimately didn’t help.

Cannot stand him now. Pretty much the only ex saint I dislike so much. He’s horrific on the radio and despite playing for half the teams in the league is just another OF loving clone.

On 24/03/2018 at 5:11 PM, RandomGuy said:

Was McMartin any good? Can't say I've ever heard of him before 

McMartin was an OK squad player but never really a regular starter, from what I remember. Dodds was a cracking player for us.

In that summer after we went down Geoff could easily have made his money back on that transfer - we received £800,00 and £500,000 from Aberdeen for Dodds and John Inglis, and not long after that we got £340,000 from Kilmarnock for Paul Wright and I believe we may have also got a decent fee from Airdrie for Andy Rhodes. Incredible to think of the money that was flying around between Scottish clubs of our size in those days.

Guest ScottMann
2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

McMartin was an OK squad player but never really a regular starter, from what I remember. Dodds was a cracking player for us.

In that summer after we went down Geoff could easily have made his money back on that transfer - we received £800,00 and £500,000 from Aberdeen for Dodds and John Inglis, and not long after that we got £340,000 from Kilmarnock for Paul Wright and I believe we may have also got a decent fee from Airdrie for Andy Rhodes. Incredible to think of the money that was flying around between Scottish clubs of our size in those days.

He was repaid his loan when Dodds was sold. He recognised the timing was right to pull off such a deal thanks to Dundee's financial situation...no change there then!...and basically got him cut price for a cash sale. I don't know what would have happened if we'd stayed up though. I suppose it would depend on Geoff's full motives, buying Dodd's to keep us up or to make Saints a healthy profit when sold. Maybe a mixture of both. 

I remember watching Scotsport on the Sunday afternoon when Arthur started the programme with news just in of a sensational transfer deal and couldn't believe it when it ended with Saints as the buying club. The Courier had a special readers comments page on the Monday with Dundee fans going ballistic about diddy little Saints buying their star player. Happy days! 

......and Dodds remains the only player (as far as I know) to play for both sides relegated from the top flight in one season. Ironically, but for a technicality, he would have "earned" an unenviable hat-trick with Aberdeen nearly going down the following season.

ps Billy doesn't like being reminded of this.....

Edited by Dave Ferg

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Does having a Saints tattoo make you an uber fan ?