International break

541ntees

12 hours ago, Widge said:

Why exactly do you think we’d get a payment? Of course we won’t, never have before. Apart from the Euros which was a one off thing. 

Just wondered as I know of a player who plays for Gibraltar and when he is called up the club receives a payment, granted this means he is unavailable for said club, and their fixtures are not postponed as a result. So it may be in lieu of employing another player etc

13 hours ago, sleepless said:

I see last night's Scotland international generated lots of interest on here...

Surely it's time to scrap these pointless international breaks. Does anyone bother that much about the national team any more?

i was too  busy watching the game to post on here but i do agree there has been lot less interest in the national team in recent years which i do not understand

400 Scotland games in 10 years? Hmm

<<<Perthshire tartan army had 300 members at one time >>>

Yes, but not now? Isn't that kind of the point I was making?

However, fair enough. Glad you enjoy your international football, and I hope you carry on doing so. I'm just happy that we're back to the real football, and Sainties winning, too  (if that isn't tempting fate...)

12 hours ago, 541ntees said:

i was too  busy watching the game to post on here but i do agree there has been lot less interest in the national team in recent years which i do not understand

I used to be really into following the national team when I was a kid, but over the years my interest has reduced to the point that I couldn't even tell you who's in the squad, when the next match is or what their most recent result was. Not sure if average yearly attendances would point to a provable decline in interest (had a quick Google but it's surprisingly difficult to find those stats), but off the top of my head I don't think it's hard to come up with reasons:

• Falling standard to the point that Scotland hasn't qualified for anything in 20 years
  • The team used to be really recognisable as some of the best players from the Scottish and English leagues - nowadays a lot of the players are pretty unrecognisable even to fans with an active interest in football
  • On a personal note I'm sick of seeing Saints players getting overlooked
  • Matches are often pretty boring
  • Rubbish national stadium for watching football
  • SFA too Glasgow-centric
  • SFA's behaviour around Sevco-gate hasn't been forgotten
  • SFA's appointment of Alex McLeish and employment of Malky Mackay
  • Football in general is way too expensive now and it's hard enough just paying to go to club-level matches without travelling to watch international games too
  • There's way too much football now and way too many international matches, and international breaks just feel like an annoying disruption to the real stuff. I'd like to see a massive shake-up of the football calendar - starting with scrapping at least 50% of international qualifiers and friendlies.

I think that sums it up very well. I’d add the fact that it’s quite difficult now for many even to watch our national team on tele, which is how many youngsters get the bug.  Over half the population still rely on Council tele, me included. In which other country in the world would you get a situation where national TV stations won’t pay to show our national side, and show a game involving our biggest neighbour instead? I think folk have got so used to that many have forgotten how weird that is. It was revealed recently that Scotland is the only country at the Commonwealth Games without its own broadcaster, including loads of tiny wee places with 6 folk and a mangy goat. It’s bizarre, it’s ridiculous (and, fortunately, a gift to the SNP).

Mind however that international friendlies are about to pretty much disappear. A friendly against Albania would normally spark little interest, but if it was in a competition where we play against teams at our level, and there is an outside chance -probably our only chance - of qualification for the Euros, I can see bigger crowds ahead.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Mind however that international friendlies are about to pretty much disappear. A friendly against Albania would normally spark little interest, but if it was in a competition where we play against teams at our level, and there is an outside chance -probably our only chance - of qualification for the Euros, I can see bigger crowds ahead.

I'll be amazed if the weirdly-complicated Nations League attracts any genuine enthusiasm other than from the people who are committed Scotland fans already. I think the last thing football needs is yet another tournament (although I would be in favour of bringing back the Cup Winners Cup). I do still really enjoy the big summer tournaments but I think a lot could be done to reduce the qualifying process so that everyone plays fewer games. Splitting the qualifying into different stages with higher-ranked teams coming in at later phases would wipe out a huge chunk of matches for everyone involved, and allow domestic leagues to have fewer international breaks.

I'd also restrict international friendlies to a couple of warm-up matches ahead of when the qualifying rounds and finals kick-off. If seeing your national team play a football match became more of a rarity it might actually make it seem a bit more special and increase people's enthusiasm for it. As it is I find it really hard to imagine myself ever sitting down to watch a Scotland match ever again - I think the last one I saw was the friendly against England several years ago, and that was only because Stevie May was in the squad.

If we thought this season was a shitfest with break after break I think next season will be even more stop start with this Nations cup.

There will be games mid Sep,Oct & November with some of them on the Thursday which I would presume Premiership games being moved to the Sunday.

All this because UEFA want to screw more money out of football fans.

• 4 months later...