Aberdeen v St Johnstone 31/03/18 3pm

tucker

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Williams went off on Wednesday with a knock I thought given he went down the tunnel after being taken off. Don’t think this is the sort of game for him anyway since Pitoddrie is a ploughed field right now and it’s going to be brutal long ball stuff all game from both teams I’d suggest. 

Maybe he was pissed off at being subbed after being best player on the park.

Worth noting after today's results the best points total County can get is 43, and Thistle is 46. 

We're on 37.

So you're looking at County having to win all but one of their games, due to their goal difference, and Thistle winning all but two of their games, for us to drop below those two. You'd then have to find a set of results which leads to that happening, and Hamilton/Dundee gaining over nine points on us. 

I've not done the maths, but I genuinely don't think we can be relegated since everyone in our half has to play each other 

Thought Saints were the better side for the first 30 minutes but it was a tight game and when Johnstone was forced off with a blood injury from a McKenna elbow, the FK was cleared and seconds later Christie was in the clear and remained composed to finish. Naïve from Saints and we never recovered, which is something that can be levelled at the team too regularly this season unfortunately.

Aberdeen have the quality that they don't need to always play well to score goals and win games and that was largely the case today.

Thought there was maybe a shout for offside at the third goal but it isn't something that altered the outcome.

Wouldn't pick out anyone who did particularly well for Saints, although Mannus made some decent saves.

Freezing as well.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Why change a winning team ?.

At least the rest of the results went for us.

I'd imagine 2 games in 3 days is too much for Macca. 

Williams looks like an injury in that he wasn't even in the squad. 

So only change by choice may have been Spoony for Alston and we all know how much Tommy loves Spoony. 

I think what it does highlight is that those stepping in generally aren't as good as those stepping out, particularly up front. 

Abysmal result.   Really?, skelped 4-1. Feel for the fans who travel. Aberdeen rarely win big.

So that sums the score as 1-10 over 3 games.  Sure we'd fair better playing Barca over 3 games!

We've rallied lately to stop the mid season rot.  No chance we are anywhere near playoff. Too many teams and points between us and playoff. The guff below don't win games either. They'll be plenty of draws being shared post split as away teams set up counter attack and home teams can't break down a stubborn away team.

8th place is worst we should settle for, if we can't keep 8th as the lowest place finish then I'd really worry for next season..  Would be good to finish 7th and accumulate more points than Hearts.   But I'm not sure that'll happen.

Edited by Dave H

Well what can I say after that performance or lack of it.

I was in the Richard Donald stand on corporate hospitality courtesy of my ex boss, surrounded by Sheep and had to watch a team selection that did not resemble one that wanted or was capable of getting any type of result from this match.

Poor that May and Stewart x 2 scored, both players not rated by the Sheep supporters around me.

Do not understand the team selection by TW.

Expected better from a Saints team but at least the free booze tempered the result for me but feel for the Saintees who turned up and paid to watch this display.

25 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Well what can I say after that performance or lack of it.

I was in the Richard Donald stand on corporate hospitality courtesy of my ex boss, surrounded by Sheep and had to watch a team selection that did not resemble one that wanted or was capable of getting any type of result from this match.

Poor that May and Stewart x 2 scored, both players not rated by the Sheep supporters around me.

Do not understand the team selection by TW.

Expected better from a Saints team but at least the free booze tempered the result for me but feel for the Saintees who turned up and paid to watch this display.

Have picked up in the last month, still get the feeling as soon as we are one down the game is finished, just not the fight or ability of previous squads, big decisions going to be needed on who we stick or twist with next season and that includes a few of the youngsters, because if any good and some of the complete dross we have seen, this was the year for them pushing for a place and taking it like Kerr has done, boys like Gordon etc had a season but no further forward, some will blame the manager,, but Kerr has proved if good enough they will get a chance.

Think with the mathematics we should be safe and ten years of so in top flight and all the top six finishes we are certainly punching where a lot of clubs of similar stature can only dream of being.

I've worked out that the bottom 2 need to play 16 or 17 more games to get same points as us. And we pick up zero.  But given there are only 6 or 7 games left...  I'll say it's impossible to get relegated.

Time to play those players most likely here next season, I say.  E.g..  If Millar isn't here next season he must be less likely to play.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Worth noting after today's results the best points total County can get is 43, and Thistle is 46. 

We're on 37.

So you're looking at County having to win all but one of their games, due to their goal difference, and Thistle winning all but two of their games, for us to drop below those two. You'd then have to find a set of results which leads to that happening, and Hamilton/Dundee gaining over nine points on us. 

I've not done the maths, but I genuinely don't think we can be relegated since everyone in our half has to play each other 

It is not actually impossible but it would be something of a statistical freak.  For example, if Thistle did make 46 points County could only reach 37 since they have to play Thistle twice.  We would then need but one point from 18 to at least make the playoff spot.

7 minutes ago, south inch said:

It is not actually impossible but it would be something of a statistical freak.  For example, if Thistle did make 46 points County could only reach 37 since they have to play Thistle twice.  We would then need but one point from 18 to at least make the playoff spot.

You'all foretting there is Dundee and Accies likely to get caught first.  So Dundee and Accies would need to win all their games apart from those they get beat from County and Thistle.  MWell and Saints to lose every game.  

Dundee can only get 37 points in that theory plotted above.  Assuming they pick up zero points before split which is likely.

9 minutes ago, Dave H said:

You'all foretting there is Dundee and Accies likely to get caught first.  So Dundee and Accies would need to win all their games apart from those they get beat from County and Thistle.  MWell and Saints to lose every game.  

Dundee can only get 37 points in that theory plotted above.  Assuming they pick up zero points before split which is likely.

I did say it would be a statistical freak in which event Dundee could fluke a point or two before the split.  Also Thistle could lose to Dundee and still make 43 points.  I would hope the real killer for my theory would be us picking up at least 9 points!

17 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

Hearing Tommy after the game, quite clear we can expect quite a turnaround of staff next season.  Encouraging interview I thought, we can't live in the past. Time to move forward. 

Onwards...

Did he say earlier in the season he would make changes & bring in some youngsters ,which he did for the Albion game & then back to the usual suspects the next week.

Just saying,he says a few things when he is frustrated.