Alan Mannus

Jad

Club confirm that Alan Mannus leaving Saints at end of season to go back to Ireland. He has been a fantastic player for us and was another of our cup heroes and played his part in our European adventures. He is a nice guy and was such a good mentor for Zander and the younger goalies. Great role model for young players. I will really miss him but so glad he played for Saints and did such a good job. Wish you well Alan as you return home.

We are fortunate that we have Zander who in my opinion is a better all round keeper at the club. Alan has been a fantastic servant to the club over the years and deserves to go with our good wishes. Along with all the other cup winning heroes he will forever be a legend. Mannus did every bit as much as Macca and Ando in winning the cup for us on that brilliant day in May 2014. 

Awesome keeper!  One of the best to play in goals for us. Played a vital part of the most successful team (period) without him I doubt we'd have been near. 

I'd 100% given him another year contract, has plenty to offer.  Can only imagine this is been weighted by wage trimming.

Legend!

4 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Awesome keeper!  One of the best to play in goals for us. Played a vital part of the most successful team (period) without him I doubt we'd have been near. 

I'd 100% given him another year contract, has plenty to offer.  Can only imagine this is been weighted by wage trimming.

Legend!

He made it clear that he wanted to go back to Ireland with his family. This decision has nothing to do with saints wanting or not to keep him. 

12 minutes ago, Widge said:

He made it clear that he wanted to go back to Ireland with his family. This decision has nothing to do with saints wanting or not to keep him. 

Not clear enough, as I didn't know... ha.

1 more year isn't that much to ask for. If a contract was on the table it might of made the decision harder.. fair play if he didn't want to sign up again due to family reasons. I'd do the same as him to be fair.  Top keeper!

Edited by Dave H

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Pure speculation but I wonder if he wants to return to Shamrock while he's still at a level where he can contribute for them. He's clearly still got at least another season at this level in him. 

That would make sense in that he would settle family back in whilst having a job, then can evaluate what he wants to do going forward from there.

Better than moving back and looking for job either in or out of football at the same time.

2 minutes ago, sleepless said:

We've been blessed with some outstanding keepers over the years - McLaren, Donaldson, Robertson, Baines, Main et al - and Alan is right up there with them.

It's the end of an era, guys. There's going to be precious few cup winners still here next season.

I think Easton and Wotherspoon are the only ones in the Final matchday squad contracted for next season as it stands.. 

Model pro = sad loss

High earner leaves = Happy Steve Brown

Who will be off the wage bill next?

Will anyone be signed for a fee?

Will any cash be available?

Downward spiral ahead if not.

Hey, who cares because we have been punching above our weight for so long that we need to go back and play with the also rans where we belong.

It is ok though because Lionel Richie is apparently a Saintee and he is loaded.

4 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Model pro = sad loss

Hey, who cares because we have been punching above our weight for so long that we need to go back and play with the also rans where we belong.

Maybe his concert is a benefit do for his now favourite team.

We are very fortunate that we have 2 very able keepers at the club at the moment. Mannus has served the club excellently. He will be forever associated with the golden period and most rightly be in many fans all time 11. Sort of lost amongst everything, but he had some excellent saves in the cup final. From not having much of expected of him when he came in as backup to Enckelman, he’d have been delighted if you’d have told him how many games he played for us and what he has achieved.

I suspect that if he didn’t move on now, Clark would be looking for assurances from Tommy that he is number 1 or he would be looking to move on himself. He’s young for a keeper, but I suspect ambitious to play at a higher level and needs to be a regular to do that.

7 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Model pro = sad loss

Better hide the shoelaces. Going to be a long summer for you.

8 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Model pro = sad loss

Mannus is leaving so his family can grow up in Ireland, and MacLean is moving for one last pay day and a guaranteed job after he retires. 

Both were beyond Saints control.