Saints Kit Supplier 2018/19?

outatimecow

6 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

There is literally 100s of players to be kitted out.

The club gets X amount free, then they are charged. 

It may be that BLK are charging too much, and the club don't see an issue with players having Joma stuff so they save money.

But the real reason, and I'd be surprised if this is not the answer is: It's cold, the joma jackets are good and the PLAYERS had them at home and got them out for the cold snap. You'd be surprised how much kit a player can "steal" over the course of a season

-

ST JOHNSTONE KIT SALE - Here's what i have on ebay for sale <-- click

Nothing there mate.

4 hours ago, MySpazz said:

There is literally 100s of players to be kitted out.

The club gets X amount free, then they are charged. 

It may be that BLK are charging too much, and the club don't see an issue with players having Joma stuff so they save money.

But the real reason, and I'd be surprised if this is not the answer is: It's cold, the joma jackets are good and the PLAYERS had them at home and got them out for the cold snap. You'd be surprised how much kit a player can "steal" over the course of a season

-

ST JOHNSTONE KIT SALE - Here's what i have on ebay for sale <-- click

From what I heard the club are struggling to get the kit they want. They were even unable to sell replica kids kit at Christmas due to supply issues.

There were stories before the start of the season that the kit man was having issuess getting the kit he needed for the players. I had my doubts at the time due to the source but I was told recently that manny had had a number of issues and lots of hassle with the new supplier and decided enough was enough and left. 

If I was a betting man I would not expect blk to be the supplier next season, but you never know money will talk at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

They must have run out of socks midweek, they had generic blue ones on. I thought at first it was something to do with Celtic wearing white shorts and socks so not enough contrast with opposition but they were back to white socks today.

Players get a pair of socks, cut the bottom off them, next week they come in, take another pair, cut the bottom off them. before long there are no socks with shoe part on them, just hoses left. Nightmare for the kitman

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Players get a pair of socks, cut the bottom off them, next week they come in, take another pair, cut the bottom off them. before long there are no socks with shoe part on them, just hoses left. Nightmare for the kitman

There was an interesting discussion on the radio yesterday with several former Scotland rugby players. One of them told a story about how years ago he was playing and had a hole in the calf of his sock. The kitman consulted the Treasurer and then ap[peared with a navy blue marker and coloured in his calf so no one could tell. 

It could have been the ref that asked for the blue socks on Wednesday, some refs I believe dont like teams to have the same socks others dont mind.

If the feet being cut off is a problem surely they should be sourcing the ones made without feet. 

Edited by mainstand

15 hours ago, mainstand said:

From what I heard the club are struggling to get the kit they want. They were even unable to sell replica kids kit at Christmas due to supply issues.

There were stories before the start of the season that the kit man was having issuess getting the kit he needed for the players. I had my doubts at the time due to the source but I was told recently that manny had had a number of issues and lots of hassle with the new supplier and decided enough was enough and left. 

If I was a betting man I would not expect blk to be the supplier next season, but you never know money will talk at the end of the day.

All the above basically. 

The kit issues have been since the season started - having to use plain socks in the first game against East Fife - and have continued on since. Another example of this is there has been no kids training wear this season at all, hence why the ball boys and girls are still in Joma tracksuits. Mind you, similar issues have also plagued Hartlepool and Port Vale as has been said already. 

20 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like Saints didn't do their homework & chose the cheapest option without knowing if they could deliver on quality or quantity.

Lesson learnt , hopefully.

Was there homework that could have been done? Have they not just recently come into the UK market for football? Seems the other clubs have only had issues this season.

The probably had a  very good salesperson. 

It isn't easy for Saints as they have to operate as tightly as possible whilst trying to appease all these fashionistas we have in the fan base. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Looks like Saints didn't do their homework & chose the cheapest option without knowing if they could deliver on quality or quantity.

Lesson learnt , hopefully.

Would say it was more the best offer provided by the suppliers which has turned out not to be the best. FWIW I heard they were throwing money at the club's as they were trying to break into the football market. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Whats all this about cutting the foot out of the sock. Didnt progress far enough in football to ever see that. That extra lump of sock at the toe was always useful for me to fill my brothers old boots.

Players these days have a 'special' sock they use and tape the top of the football sock to that. So the bottom of the sock below the ankle is usually cut off and discarded. 

Edited by garydavidson

54 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Players these days have a 'special' sock they use and tape the top of the football sock to that. So the bottom of the sock below the ankle is usually cut off and discarded. 

We need special socks that help score goals. So you would think normally socks would be made like this in the first place. I presume its a patent thing. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, garydavidson said:

Joma don't look so bad now.

To be honest I don't think they ever did look bad. Their designs, quality and overall range (for the most part) were streets ahead of what BLK have offered. I'd be happy with a return to Joma for next season.

18 hours ago, garydavidson said:

What I don't understand is why they can't just make the football sock out of whatever the "special" sock is made of. It's flabbergasting to me that in this day and age of sportswear, professional Premier League-level players are taking pairs of scissors to their socks. Huge waste of material, too.

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

To be honest I don't think they ever did look bad. Their designs, quality and overall range (for the most part) were streets ahead of what BLK have offered. I'd be happy with a return to Joma for next season.

My first point was somewhat sarcastic. I still say one of the best tops we have ever had, material and quality wise, was the Joma 2014 home strip.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

What I don't understand is why they can't just make the football sock out of whatever the "special" sock is made of. It's flabbergasting to me that in this day and age of sportswear, professional Premier League-level players are taking pairs of scissors to their socks. Huge waste of material, too.

Its modern footballers being modern footballers.

Cycling shorts in the 90s was tip of a very large superfluous item/fad shaped icebergs.

I wouldn't mind of it helped them pass the ball 10yards or not it the first defender at every cross.......

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

It must be a patent thing where no one else is allowed to make it, looks like my kids slipper socks to me.

Guest ScottMann

I don't buy strips but to me Joma's main problem was the shade of blue. This season's offering just proves that the real problem with Saints strips isn't the supplier but the person/people at McDiarmid choosing them.