Old Saints shirts

blueheaven

What does everyone do with their old Saints shirts? Keep them? Frame them? Bin them? Ebay them? Wear them??

I have a huge collection that I've built up over the years, with at least one shirt from every season going back to about 1989 - but they're basically all just stuffed in a big bag or tucked away in various drawers. Have thought about getting a few framed over the years but it's expensive and I could probably only do it with one or two max. I reckon a lot of the ones I have are big collector's items (some are signed, or rare, or player-issue) and a lot of people would want them but I can't bear the thought of selling them.

Has anyone done anything interesting with their old football tops?

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

What does everyone do with their old Saints shirts? Keep them? Frame them? Bin them? Ebay them? Wear them??

I have a huge collection that I've built up over the years, with at least one shirt from every season going back to about 1989 - but they're basically all just stuffed in a big bag or tucked away in various drawers. Have thought about getting a few framed over the years but it's expensive and I could probably only do it with one or two max. I reckon a lot of the ones I have are big collector's items (some are signed, or rare, or player-issue) and a lot of people would want them but I can't bear the thought of selling them.

Has anyone done anything interesting with their old football tops?

Stewart Morrison collects Saints  shirts and sends them out to Zimbabwe, gave him about half a dozen last year, worth thinking about, lovely thinking about Saints shirts out there. 

I've got a load of them in a bin liner in the loft and slightly more recent ones still get worn about the house.  I've thought of framing them too but as you say BH that's expensive.  I don't have any signed though, they're just bog standard replicas.  Kids (or if I ever have any) grandkids might be interested in them one day.

11 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Stewart Morrison collects Saints  shirts and sends them out to Zimbabwe, gave him about half a dozen last year, worth thinking about, lovely thinking about Saints shirts out there. 

Only half a dozen?????

Surely you have more that you KNOW you will never be able to fit into again.:laugh:,

Y.f.b.

3 hours ago, ss75990 said:

St Johnstone Special football shirt 1994 - 1996

I have been trying to find this shirt for a while. Can't find anywhere where someone might be selling it

I have it but I'm afraid I'm unlikely to sell. They do pop up on eBay from time to time though.

I think mine has only ever been worn once because it has a really annoying/uncomfortable neckline.

2 hours ago, sleepless said:

You know how if you put crisp packets in the oven it shrinks them into little miniatures, I wonder if you could do that with them? Especially the modern ones, they're all plasticy anyway...

Strangely its my older ones that that has happened to all the ones that are more than 5-10 years old no longer fit me they must have shrunk without doing anything to them.

My best shirts I have shrink wrapped in a filing cabinet! Framing is expensive and lots of them look poor IMO. I sold shirts to a guy who frames them on a beveled plate inside a 5" deep frame, they look like something from a museum. Very cool. He can also reproduce any signature, so say you want all the 1980s team signed on it (and you have the signatures on a bit of paper) he can do it.

Sounds like you should have them displayed at a museum. Saints could display them around McD. Imagine if there was a small treasure cove / museum at McD.  Free entry, fans donate items that are protected behind glass... aka the Hampden museum.. Now there is a use.  

Maybe they could hire some portacabins and run an event with displays supplied by fans.  Would be interesting.  

There is a pop-up shop opening this week in east london selling shirts, and an exhibition *was on last year in Manchester* 

I remember when Soccer Scene was on Carnaby Street (there were two). I would go down there and get the sale shirts for £5....in 1987. Reckon a few of those could have been in this exhibition. 

https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/fabric-of-football

image.jpg

12 hours ago, Dave H said:

Sounds like you should have them displayed at a museum. Saints could display them around McD. Imagine if there was a small treasure cove / museum at McD.  Free entry, fans donate items that are protected behind glass... aka the Hampden museum.. Now there is a use.  

I'd be happy for my old shirts to be displayed as part of a Saints museum. It's a shame this hasn't been incorporated into the stadium. I've got loads of other old merch, programmes, cuttings too that I think people would be interested in - I'm sure loads of us probably do. Considered putting it all up online in a sort of virtual museum but scanning everything in is a huge job.

I did email the club a while back to ask if they were interested in rare items and merchandise to store or display somewhere. You've probably already guessed that I didn't get a reply.