Club Sponsor

Guest ScottMann

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScottMann

It's money for old rope for an established ground. Dundee can call it what they want but it'll always be known as and called Dens by most football fans.  The same would apply to McDiarmid.  Can't see it happening here because of the emotional respect of the name. Suppose they could sponsor it for a smaller sum as in something like the Farmers Weekly McDiarmid Park but no more than that. 

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Bruce McDiarmid deserves more respect than a lot of you are giving. No to sponsorship of stadium for me. The hospitality suites, that's a different matter. 

This, completely. The contribution made to the club by Bruce McDiarmid should never be diluted or devalued.

Bruce McDiarmid deserves more respect than a lot of you are giving. No to sponsorship of stadium for me. The hospitality suites, that's a different matter. 

I agree dude.

mind you ‘Muirton Park ‘does have a nice wee ring to it .ha ha 

8 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Absolutely nobody is disrespecting Bruce McDiarmid. It's ridiculous to say otherwise.

Not directly but I think when you've benefited from the benevolence of someone to the degree that Saints did, you honour the (correct) decision made in naming the ground.

Only speaking personally but I'd even find a prefix to the name (as seen with Dens Park) to be poor form.

Guest ScottMann
34 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Not directly but I think when you've benefited from the benevolence of someone to the degree that Saints did, you honour the (correct) decision made in naming the ground.

Only speaking personally but I'd even find a prefix to the name (as seen with Dens Park) to be poor form.

Anyway...

I don't think prefixing McDiarmid in any way dilutes Bruce's memory. If it became The Joma McDiarmid Park do you really think folk would talk about 'The Joma'? It would still be McDiarmid Park and always will be.

How many folk still talk about the SPL? If the current name is mentioned then how often do you hear Scottish Premiership as opposed to Ladbrokes Premiership? Scottish football generally doesn't embrace change well which is coming through here. It's also why no matter what happens name wise it'll always be McDiarmid Park. If someone wants to throw some of their money our way just to find that out then let them do it, within reason of course.

13 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

12 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

This, completely. The contribution made to the club by Bruce McDiarmid should never be diluted or devalued.

I take it you both raised similar concerns when the "Ormond Stand" became the "Ormond Family Stand presented by SSE"? 

Or, as with everything, do you still just call it the Ormond? 

Edited by RandomGuy

Dundee's deal is supposedly worth six figures* - that would be a significant amount for Saints, or as an other way of looking at it it's money Dundee will have to strengthen that Saints won't.

I get the sensitivity around the McDiarmid name but these sponsorship deals are temporary and would help the club to stay competitive. The McDiarmid name wouldn't go anywhere.

That said - I wouldn't be surpised if Saints have already considered this option and decided against it. Wasn't there a story a while back that the council had blocked an application to have a large GS Brown advert on the back of one of the stands? Would people be OK with it if it became the GS Brown McDiarmid Park?

*Admittedly I take that with a pinch of salt as Dundee are serial bull-shitters.

There are certain things that people do in life that show others what you are all about. Bruce McDiarmid showed us all what he was about by helping St Johnstone in their time of need, probably more than any of us could and just as much as what the Browns have. If Saints were to rebrand/rename the stadium that would show exactly what they were all about. Shitehawk move all about money, I'd hope we're better than that.

31 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Dundee's deal is supposedly worth six figures* - that would be a significant amount for Saints, or as an other way of looking at it it's money Dundee will have to strengthen that Saints won't.

The significance depends on how far into the six figures it goes. We missed out on a fair chunk of money by finishing 8th rather than 7th.

There are certain things that people do in life that show others what you are all about. Bruce McDiarmid showed us all what he was about by helping St Johnstone in their time of need, probably more than any of us could and just as much as what the Browns have. If Saints were to rebrand/rename the stadium that would show exactly what they were all about. Shitehawk move all about money, I'd hope we're better than that.

Money makes the world go round.

or.

Money is the root of all evil.

Take your pick.