Jeanfield v Forfar West End - Wednesday 9 May

Cumbo

Looking for a football fix tomorrow?

Jeanfield entertain Forfar West End at the Riverside Stadium in which a win could help Swifts survival hopes and at the same time it could technically relegate or visitors.

Only technically as East Region Junior football is under going league reconstruction as 12 teams have left the league to join the pyramid structure & despite having 4 games left no one actually knows what is happening yet. 

It is planned that the remaining clubs will be integrated at the end of the 2018/2019 season but we will have to see if that is the case.

Kick off is 6.45pm if anyone is interested in coming down.

3 hours ago, Cumbo said:

Only technically as East Region Junior football is under going league reconstruction as 12 teams have left the league to join the pyramid structure & despite having 4 games left no one actually knows what is happening yet. 

For those of us who aren't in-the-know with this stuff could you explain what that means? Will they stop being junior clubs? What league will they join? I take it clubs in "the pyramid" ultimately have the chance to be promoted up into the SPFL if they're successful enough?

Even as someone who's followed Scottish football all my life I often find this structure confusing!

The winners of the Highland league play off against the winner of the lowland league to then play off against bottom of league 2.

Below that I am not sure how teams feed into those leagues. I know there was talk of Fort William returning to junior football as they did dreadfully in the Highland League this season.

The 12 clubs have joined the East of Scotland Football League which is classed as tier 6 just below the Highland and Lowland Leagues.  The winners of this league, if licensed, played the winners of the South of Scotland League also if they are licensed for a place in the Lowland League.

Kelty Hearts who won the Super League last season then joined the EOSFL (There is no direct promotion) won the league and are currently 4-0 up in the play off and looking good for the Lowland League next season.

The plan is for the juniors to merge with the EOSFL and become one but if that will happen we don’t know.

Jeanfield are in a weird place as we are right on the boundary line for Highland and Lowland League which is currently the River Tay!!!

To play in the Lowland League you need to have a SFA Entry Level Licence.  We do not have this but it is something we will look to have in the near future.  However to apply for this you must become part of the SFA pyramid structure.

With the licence comes entry to the Scottish Cup and possible match v Saint etc if we manage to get through 5 or so rounds.

Our committee was not too keen to go ahead whoever they are leaving the club at the end of the season and the new people are keen for the club to progress in the pyramid and the benefits that will come with it.

Fort were planning to return to the North Caledonian League which is below the Highland League however no teams get promoted as its a closed shop.

Hope this helps as it is quite confusing at times.

Thanks for that Cumbo, really interesting to see this develop. Would be great to see Jeanfield involved in a pyramid where they could theoretically work their way up the leagues. I watch a lot of English non-league football and think the streamlined structure works really well.

14 hours ago, Cumbo said:

Hope this helps as it is quite confusing at times.

More than helpful Cumbo.

Any chance you could list the 12 clubs?  I presume Linlithgow Rose and Boness will be 2, also Musselburgh?

All the best to the Swifts, hope this will keep them in the top East Junior League.