St.Johnstone v Ross County - Saturday 12th May

SaintJet

Mentioned at the time when the ball eventually reached the playing surface that it was BOBBLING.

Due to 2 sets of roadworks on the Crieff road & temporary lights, by the time I got to the ground, the 1st stop was the bogs.

First look at the game, saw the ball being placed on the centre spot & Saints slooping towards the centre circle.

County appeared up for it as their livelihoods depended on it.

County's passing & movement made us look static, without them troubling Mannus.

Saints lightweights got brushed off the ball when in possession.

Midge did make a difference when he came on and could be the answer to the Arabs predicament.

County continually wasted time, (Hamilton style) after taking the lead.

They were duly punished when we scored in added on time.

Below standard performance from us and if County can't take advantage , shows why they have ended up where they have.

Saw a shot getting blocked and next thing Spoony had equalised.

Couldn't see it going in, due to loads of movement in front of me. 

So will need to watch highlights.

Happy close season to ALL Saintees everywhere. 

33 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Mentioned at the time when the ball eventually reached the playing surface that it was BOBBLING.

Due to 2 sets of roadworks on the Crieff road & temporary lights, by the time I got to the ground, the 1st stop was the bogs.

First look at the game, saw the ball being placed on the centre spot & Saints slooping towards the centre circle.

County appeared up for it as their livelihoods depended on it.

County's passing & movement made us look static, without them troubling Mannus.

Saints lightweights got brushed off the ball when in possession.

Midge did make a difference when he came on and could be the answer to the Arabs predicament.

County continually wasted time, (Hamilton style) after taking the lead.

They were duly punished when we scored in added on time.

Below standard performance from us and if County can't take advantage , shows why they have ended up where they have.

Saw a shot getting blocked and next thing Spoony had equalised.

Couldn't see it going in, due to loads of movement in front of me. 

So will need to watch highlights.

Happy close season to ALL Saintees everywhere. 

Me and bazm didn't realise till the 40 th minute that ross had scored

21 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Me and bazm didn't realise till the 40 th minute that ross had scored

You weren't alone. Others I spoke to (who couldn't see the scoreboard) were of the same mind.

Enjoy your night. 

Edited by HOODLUM65

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Scougall didn't make a difference, the change in shape did. 

Tommy brought Scougall on at half time when we went 4 at back and put him on right wing. Scougall is not a winger & contributed nothing until he moved inside in last 10 minutes & pushed Spoony wide left where he contributed more then than he did the previous 80.

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Great goal shot from Spooner.  Unlucky with his other effort which forced a great save from keeper.

Draw probably fair, could tell they were up for it. Assaulting us all over the pitch.  Our errors lucky not to be more costly.

Good end of season farewell at end of game for 3 legends.  Best part of the day.  

In the end quite a decent transition season, most feared relegation automatically at the turn of the year... so finish 8th, good enough, room for improvements... most notably at home!

I think our pitch is terrible, maybe thats our downfall. Bobbly, uneven bounces...  i dont think watering it right before kick off or at half time does it any favours.  Water it to grow grass, not sure it imoroves 'football' as the ball spends half the time in the air!  Probably a result if a soggy lumpy surface.

Spot on regarding the pitch, ball bouncing all over the place today. Not great for the passing game, hence why both teams went long regularly.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

No random shapes do not win matches. Players do.

We couldn't cope with them when we played the 3-5-2, the switch to 4-2-3-1 gave us more going forward and the midfield became less overwhelmed. Countys decision to time waste at 1-0 probably helped aswell. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Tommy brought Scougall on at half time when we went 4 at back and put him on right wing. Scougall is not a winger & contributed nothing until he moved inside in last 10 minutes & pushed Spoony wide left where he contributed more then than he did the previous 80.

It's infuriating that he refuses to play Scougall central. All season he's stuck him on a wing and he's struggled, whatever his issue is with playing him in there, he either needs to get over it, or get rid of Scougall. He's a high earner who'll contribute almost nothing on the wing. I reckon he's class, but is woefully misused and it's helping nobody. 

Must be the youngest back 5 I've seen starting for Saints. Must have been an average of 22/23. Comrie's gone backwards a little bit this season and looked a bit out of sorts today...probably playing in an unfamiliar back 5 system didn't help. I felt he was always 10 yards deeper than he should have been.

I would have been happy with him ahead of Foster for the RB position, but I'd be happy for Tommy to be looking at another option.

16 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

Must be the youngest back 5 I've seen starting for Saints. Must have been an average of 22/23. Comrie's gone backwards a little bit this season and looked a bit out of sorts today...probably playing in an unfamiliar back 5 system didn't help. I felt he was always 10 yards deeper than he should have been.

I would have been happy with him ahead of Foster for the RB position, but I'd be happy for Tommy to be looking at another option.

I don't think wingback suited him & I don't think he has played much football this season even in the development league.

No way can you be up to speed in those circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I don't think wingback suited him & I don't think he has played much football this season even in the development league.

No way can you be up to speed in those circumstances.

I think I would prefer him at wing back as opposed to a back 4 but, as you say, if he's not played there much then it'll be tough to adjust.

8 hours ago, ScottMann said:

That worked out well then. Bang go the season ticket sales.

That decision was made for me a couple of months ago. Still attending but going to miss some home games and start picking away games.  Will still be attending 20 odd games next season but wont be attending games v Glasgow ugly sisters at home.   Or any midweek games, will not bust a gut to get away from work next season.

Edited by Dave H

That first half was as bad as I've seen Saints play in a long time. Defence all looked unsure of themselves, no one wanted to collect the ball and play it to feet, everyone just blindly hoofing the ball up the park and giving possession away. I think it probably says a lot about how poor Ross County are that they really needed something out of today's game, and we were absolutely awful, and yet they still didn't really cause us many problems.

Second half was poor too but I felt Scougall and Millar made a big difference and Hendry showed some really nice touches too (particularly his piece of skill out on the right wing before sending in the cross that eventually lead to our goal).

Right now I'm feeling like next season could easily go either way. We have some promising young players and the spine of a decent team, with some guys like McMillan and Wright who could still be either hit or miss. But at the same time I worry about our lack of an assured, commanding centre-half; our lack of a tidy central midfield player who can take the ball from the defence and play it to feet; our lack of a forward player with Macca's intelligence. I'm also a bit apprehensive about what formation Tommy wants to play (3-5-2 has its merits but I'm not convinced we suit it all that well and I'm not sure where a winger like Drey Wright fits into that). I have a niggling worry at the back of my mind that those who've been hoping for a clear-out and more matches for the younger players may want to be careful what they wish for... but we'll see.

I already said this on Twitter after the match but personally I'd be offering Millar something for next season. He was the best player on the pitch in the second half, and he arguably looks fitter and sharper than he did a year or two ago. He makes our team tick and I think there's still an obvious job for him at Saints.

Great send-off for him and Macca and Mannus though. All three will be a huge loss. Really sad to see them go.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We couldn't cope with them when we played the 3-5-2, the switch to 4-2-3-1 gave us more going forward and the midfield became less overwhelmed. Countys decision to time waste at 1-0 probably helped aswell. 

It's infuriating that he refuses to play Scougall central. All season he's stuck him on a wing and he's struggled, whatever his issue is with playing him in there, he either needs to get over it, or get rid of Scougall. He's a high earner who'll contribute almost nothing on the wing. I reckon he's class, but is woefully misused and it's helping nobody. 

Agree with this about Scougall. Same happened with Midge. How long was he played out wide where he was ineffective before becoming one of our best players in a central position?

The result & display reflected the whole season which I am glad is over. Don't think over the past 60 odd years I have endured such a poor season ,entertainment wise.

A win yesterday may have papered over the cracks so perhaps the result wasn't a bad outcome.