Sign in to follow this  
HOODLUM65

Buck McCarry- R.I.P.

Buck was a real character in the team. A tough tackling midfielder he took no prisoners, and if we were trying for the winner, he was sent up front and he didn’t half cause havoc when he was there. 

RIP Buck. Another favourite from my formative years as a Saintee gone.

Sadly it is a fact of life that the team that we followed then are all now of an age when they have reached that time when it time to depart from this life.

3 hours ago, 70saint said:

Buck was a real character in the team. A tough tackling midfielder he took no prisoners, and if we were trying for the winner, he was sent up front and he didn’t half cause havoc when he was there. 

At a time when players were allowed to bundle the keeper (with the ball) into the net.

I recall in the League Cup semi final at Hampden against Motherwell, he scored early in the game perhaps even in the first minute. Later on he and the Motherwell keeper Peter Mcloy went for the same ball and Mcloy hit the back of the Hampden net still holding the ball. Mcloy had the look of Wiley E Coyote after a run in with the Road Runner. Pity we lost the final to Celtic.

My only memory now and why it's my name on here was New Years day 1970 in glorious sunshine at Muirton Park against the Arabs and my memory of the goal in our 1-0 win was a stramash in the box and big Buck stepping in and the ball Buck and about 3 Arab defenders ended up in the net. RIP Buck

20 hours ago, McCarry One Nil said:

My only memory now and why it's my name on here was New Years day 1970 in glorious sunshine at Muirton Park against the Arabs and my memory of the goal in our 1-0 win was a stramash in the box and big Buck stepping in and the ball Buck and about 3 Arab defenders ended up in the net. RIP Buck

With the defenders exclaiming 'what the Buck just hit us'.   I remember it well - 'I was there'