World Cup 2018

Abernethy Saint

Better have a thread, on the off-chance that something interesting happens, and to have somewhere to mark the moment when Ingurlun get humped in a penalty shoot out by St Augustine’s School for Blind Amputees. I shall be supporting any team that looks like playing decent footy, and whoever is playing The Sons of Gazza. The wall chart is up, but it’s getting harder each time to muster enthusiasm.

I get your drift.

Be prepared for much enthusing over such and such a player who plays for such and such a club in the english leagues. No matter what teams are on the park.

The early games often throw up some innovative fitba from so called unfashionable nations. Once the minnows are eliminated and we get down to the 'big boys' who errr know how the game should be played it all goes a bit 'EPL' ish.

In my opinion. 

If I think back to 1998 Coupe de Monde, I was really excited by that, looked forward to it, watched it all the way through.

I can't summon up much interest this time around. Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe it's the Spanish tippy-tappy style that's become so pre-eminent, although there are hopeful signs that this is on the wane. Whatever, I'm really not that bothered about this one.

7 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Spain sacking their manager two days before their first game is a bit of a shocker. 

20 games undefeated in charge.

We can go 20 games without a victory......

O.k. haven't checked the stats.

Is the guy that was sacked interested in the Scotland job which might become available quite soon.

18 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Is the guy that was sacked interested in the Scotland job which might become available quite soon.

He got announced as the new Real Madrid manager two days ago. The Spanish football authority took a sulk over not being informed of the discussion so sacked him.

39 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

He got announced as the new Real Madrid manager two days ago. The Spanish football authority took a sulk over not being informed of the discussion so sacked him.

Been out of the Country since early Monday & just seen the above 2 mins ago on CNN news.

Not bothered about the WC. More interested in the Europa League qualifiers, Trakai v Druids Cefn (or is it Cefn Druids!) later this month, or some IRN-BRU matches between Sutton United and St Johnstone youngsters.

Watching some overpaid primadonnas roll about when they get an eyelash out of place or listening to Gary Linekar and his shower of bumrushers does not appeal.....no ....not at all. Russia, what a place to have a WC, then Qatar.............wondering if USA will continue the trend in 2016 by hosting matches in Guantanemo? 

Thankfully the SFA and Scotland national team have some backbone are also boycotting it (political reasons I assume) :)

Edited by MySpazz

8 hours ago, 541ntees said:

spanish fa quite right imo it would have been a distraction interested to see how Hierro(spanish legend) does

More of a distraction than ditching a successful manager two days before a massive tournament? I think they should have swallowed their pride, told him they were disappointed and let him get on with it. They could have announced now that Hierro would be taking over after the tournament, and everyone would have come out of it well.

Incidentally, the guy who sacked him used to play for Hamilton Accies.

18 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Tell us more about the Scotland job, is he doing walking away again.