World Cup 2018

Abernethy Saint

6 hours ago, cristo said:

Colombia will destroy that English defence

I'm relying on you Cristo, I am old enough to have had the full blast of 1966 for 52 years.  It would be good to see them lose to Columbia having dodged a QF against one of the more favoured teams.

Edited by south inch

11 minutes ago, south inch said:

I'm relying on you Cristo, I am old enough to have had the full blast of 1966 for 52 years.  It would be good to see them lose to Columbia having dodged a QF against one of the more favoured teams.

We're of a similar vintage then SI. I was quite happy to keep an open mind on them, but wins against two of the lowest ranked teams in the competition and the media started mapping the route to the final. Vamos Colombia!!

It's official!

Spain set the World record for the most number of passes in any game (120+minutes) in any World cup of 1114.

Ramos the player with the most, 141 in one game.

Crikey Ando's not done that many in 10 years with Saints.:laugh:

It's not the amount of possession a team has, it's what they do with it.

Spain only have themselves to blame for their World cup exit by not firing the ball into the box more often and picking up the scraps, electing to pass back, hence Ramos spending more time on the ball than others.

Well, that's another bet screwed, following on from the Argues defeat.

2 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

It's official!

Spain set the World record for the most number of passes in any game (120+minutes) in any World cup of 1114.

Ramos the player with the most, 141 in one game.

Crikey Ando's not done that many in 10 years with Saints.:laugh:

It's not the amount of possession a team has, it's what they do with it.

Spain only have themselves to blame for their World cup exit by not firing the ball into the box more often and picking up the scraps, electing to pass back, hence Ramos spending more time on the ball than others.

Well, that's another bet screwed, following on from the Argues defeat.

Almost fell asleep watching the passes to nowhere 

Columbia being dirty thugs is fake news. folk are just accepting the words of english commentators that sweet innocent England did well not to get involved with Columbias tactics. 

The truth is Colubia were naive and got wound up by Englands sly tactics and they reacted. yes barrios should have went for the head butt and yes they continually surrounded the ref. but barrios responded to a sneaky elbow from henderson, who responded like neymar to the headbutt . Still waiting on the english media to mention hendersons headbutt . Harry maguire diving to try get a penalty. and if you wqtch closely Kane wraps his arms round the defender and spins him round to win the penalty. 

My recollection was both teams were using sneaky tactics, over-reacting etc, with perhaps Columbia just shading it. It’s pretty clear Southgate is targeting Harry Kane penalties as the route through the competition, having studied very carefully the instructions given to refs. If you watch them at set pieces, it’s all about getting into tussles and provoking a reaction. Normally, that wouldn’t work against a really big team, but there aren’t any left in England’s half of the draw. The stark reality is that if Belgium beat Brazil, a Belgium - England final won 1 - 0 by a Kane penalty would be a decent bet. Ooooohhhhhhhh Goooooooood.

Really interesting to hear the English pundits' response to the headbutt on Henderson - it was certainly a foul but Henderson's reaction was disgraceful and yet that wasn't even mentioned. ITV could really do with a non-English pundit (Bilic) when they cover England games - it would make their coverage so much better.

It's largely been a good World Cup but to some extent it's been ruined by the reaction VAR has had on players. They're throwing themselves around and being aggressive towards refs even more than in previous years. I personally feel that FIFA need to do something about this before the next major tournament and make it a yellow card offence to over-react to be being fouled, regardless of whether or not a genuine foul has occured. I also think when a free kick or penalty is awarded there should be a time limit on taking it and any players still being disruptive after that time limit has elapsed should be booked.

In Colombia's case I find their approach inexplicable because they're a good enough team to beat England yet for some reason chose to spend the game niggling and moaning instead of creating and attacking. In the end they got what they deserved.

I'm no fan of England but I do like Southgate - he seems like a good guy and he's doing an exceptional job with what is an incredibly mediocre squad.

Southgate comes across really well - the b******. You can only pity the poor sod even more when the press inevitably turn on him.

Wasn’t there talk of a rule change saying if more than 2 players confronted the ref to protest they would be booked? 

I think VAR has the potential to change the game enormously for the better. It’s thrown up a couple of new problems to be fixed, hopefully they will be. Technology virtually ended bad behaviour in tennis overnight, and perhaps FIFA should do what they did - pass the buck to the player (team manager in this case) to call for a check. Give each manager two VARs per game, up to them when they use them. Then book players earlier and more often if they protest.

9 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Can a penalty kick be awarded when the ball is out of play?

Yes, if the offence took place in play. The “it was going out anyway” defence is bollocks.

Im a little worried that every team who could conceivably beat England is getting knocked out. I’m awaiting today’s news that the French team have been struck by lightning, and the Croatians have a mystery virus. God is either an Englishman, or, as is far more likely, is a Scotsman/woman who is simply setting the fans of England up for a fall.