World Cup 2018

Abernethy Saint

1 hour ago, south inch said:

Not holding out any hope for the Croatia game though it would be great if they were to lose to a team they clearly expect to beat.

So - Vive La France/Belgique - delete as appropriate.

I'd be surprised if the winners of that tie don't win the cup. France have turned it on when they had to, and Belgium have been consistently good. Should be a good game.

It reminds me of 2002, when Germany got all the way to the final without playing even a half decent team, then got humped by a fairly bog-standard Brazil team. But in terms of unfancied sides actually winning, you’d probably need to go back to 1954, when Germany beat the all-conquering Hungarians in the final. If you want a laugh, read accounts of the first World Cup in 1930, which was so chaotic and dodgy anyone could have won.

The closest parallel is probably the 2004 Euros, won by Greece, a very journeyman side  indeed. The great thing about the World Cup is that it is generally won by one of the best couple of teams in the world. The Euros are sometimes won by teams who just win the tournament, if you see what I mean. I think we’re seeing a Euros style World Cup. 

3 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It reminds me of 2002, when Germany got all the way to the final without playing even a half decent team, then got humped by a fairly bog-standard Brazil team. But in terms of unfancied sides actually winning, you’d probably need to go back to 1954, when Germany beat the all-conquering Hungarians in the final. If you want a laugh, read accounts of the first World Cup in 1930, which was so chaotic and dodgy anyone could have won.

The closest parallel is probably the 2004 Euros, won by Greece, a very journeyman side  indeed. The great thing about the World Cup is that it is generally won by one of the best couple of teams in the world. The Euros are sometimes won by teams who just win the tournament, if you see what I mean. I think we’re seeing a Euros style World Cup. 

...but that bog-standard Brazil squad of 2002 was actually packed with players now widely considered to be among some of Brazil's greats - Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu etc. This year's Brazil squad is nowhere near their level.

For me this has been a great World Cup in terms of entertaining matches, but I can't recall any WC with such a noticeable lack of stand-out teams or players. I'd struggle to name clear-cut player of the tournament candidates and a lot of the teams have been much of a muchness in terms of quality. I look back to other recent winners like Spain or Germany or France and they won with their own Golden Generations of fantastic players. Is there a lack of fantastic players now? It feels a bit like it to me. Even England, I'd say, have gone on a fantastic run with a really unremarkable group of players when you compare them to the players they had in their semi-finals of 1990 or 1996. And France look like probably the best team in it but their squad's not a patch on their '98 squad.

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Can anyone think of a worse team to win the World Cup than the four teams left in this one?

Aye fuqing Scotland if they ever were in the last 4 .What a stupid negative opinion you have dude.

there on merit are all 4.

england play as a team ,thats how they can win it .

3 hours ago, slf said:

Aye fuqing Scotland if they ever were in the last 4 .What a stupid negative opinion you have dude.

there on merit are all 4.

england play as a team ,thats how they can win it .

OK then - so which World Cup-winning team you've seen has been weaker than the four teams still left in this tournament?

23 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

OK then - so which World Cup-winning team you've seen has been weaker than the four teams still left in this tournament?

No idea .each competition is different.

seeing as your wanting an answer I would say Argentina because they were dirty wee cheating fuqers.thats why they are weak.

still say these teams are there on merit and your denigrating them with your opinion.

I never liked uraquay either dirty fuqers Scotland in Mexico.and that Colombia best sticking tae what their good at coffee they never won a big cup though .just as well

we’re of topic courtesy of comparisons of World Cups befor the 2018.am with aberfeldy swearing is fun .

4 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Does it get better than this? World Cup, beer, sunshine, SLF having a sweary and a Tory Government collapsing live on tele in front of your eyes. What a time to be alive!

Braw .

fun with tories  as well.weak team with a sawdust leader .out out out.

they diddiesb missed the World Cup  game cos the snp made them vote.ha ha get a proper job 

13 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Because its not Germany or Brazil doesnt make them weak. Argentina got to the final last time & (1 player apart) were weaker than 3 of the teams in the semis.

I can see players like Mbappe, Greizmann, Pogba, Verane being world clup winners

Hazard, De Brunye, Mertens for belgium are of that level.

Modric & Rakatic for Croatia too.

England not so much.

13 hours ago, slf said:

No idea .each competition is different.

seeing as your wanting an answer I would say Argentina because they were dirty wee cheating fuqers.thats why they are weak.

still say these teams are there on merit and your denigrating them with your opinion.

I agree that they're there on merit, but that's beside the point.

I reckon Argentina in 1986 with Maradona at his peak were probably a better side than the 4 we have left in 2018, but it's a bit before my time.

10 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Because its not Germany or Brazil doesnt make them weak. Argentina got to the final last time & (1 player apart) were weaker than 3 of the teams in the semis.

That's not what I'm saying. I don't think they're worse because they're not the traditional big-name teams. Germany, Brazil etc had their chance and they blew it (I'd also suggest that both Brazil and Germany possibly both came to this tournament with their weakest WC teams in at least 30 years, probably more). The four we're left with are where they are because they're the best four teams in the tournament - I don't dispute that. My point is that they're not as good as the World Cup-winning teams of previous eras and that may be indicative of something. Maybe it's a blip. Maybe football standards aren't what they were. Maybe the gap between lots of teams at the top has closed so it's harder to stand out. Maybe there's now too much over-familiarity amongst players thanks to the monotony of competitions like the Champions League so they're all able to nullify each other more effectively. It could be anything. But I don't think it's an unfair observation to make.

Can you remember a previous winner who's been worse than the four we're left with?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I agree that they're there on merit, but that's beside the point.

I reckon Argentina in 1986 with Maradona at his peak were probably a better side than the 4 we have left in 2018, but it's a bit before my time.

Aye.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

That's not what I'm saying. I don't think they're worse because they're not the traditional big-name teams. Germany, Brazil etc had their chance and they blew it (I'd also suggest that both Brazil and Germany possibly both came to this tournament with their weakest WC teams in at least 30 years, probably more). The four we're left with are where they are because they're the best four teams in the tournament - I don't dispute that. My point is that they're not as good as the World Cup-winning teams of previous eras and that may be indicative of something. Maybe it's a blip. Maybe football standards aren't what they were. Maybe the gap between lots of teams at the top has closed so it's harder to stand out. Maybe there's now too much over-familiarity amongst players thanks to the monotony of competitions like the Champions League so they're all able to nullify each other more effectively. It could be anything. But I don't think it's an unfair observation to make.

Can you remember a previous winner who's been worse than the four we're left with?

it could be argued that on paper the german team from 2014 is on a par with the current french and beligian sides