New Assistant Manager required

Honest Saints Fan

58 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Personally I think it's great, glad to see that's been posted up.

“But what became the regular involvement in Europe was also huge for me. Nobody at Saints can take that for granted – the buzz of returning to training early because you’re involved in Europe and the trips we’ve had plus some great moments at McDiarmid Park – great, great memories and I hope the success can continue.

But I have to return to Tommy – to work with him and learn from him and achieve the success we did over five years was phenomenal for me. He’s an unbelievably good manager and I thank him.”

Class from a classy player and manager. I wish him well and thanks for the good times Calum.

I can see why Callum has taken up this role, although it is quite a risk given how quickly managers and their staff get punted nowadays. I suppose even in a worst case with a pay off if he is sacked will leave him better off financially than staying with us. Still here, he is a relatively secure position, which certainly won't be the case down South.

On Clelland, going to be interesting. Have read on here a few times that he is well thought off. Although having seen him on the track side of U20 games he never came across that well...but I suppose that is only a small part of the job.

Could never work out whether the comments in the past from the likes of Frazer Wright about Clelland were tongue in cheek, or whether there was more to it. Still, TW will have seen Clelland at close quarters in the last number of years and must be happy with him.

29 minutes ago, MrBored said:

I can see why Callum has taken up this role, although it is quite a risk given how quickly managers and their staff get punted nowadays. I suppose even in a worst case with a pay off if he is sacked will leave him better off financially than staying with us. Still here, he is a relatively secure position, which certainly won't be the case down South.

On Clelland, going to be interesting. Have read on here a few times that he is well thought off. Although having seen him on the track side of U20 games he never came across that well...but I suppose that is only a small part of the job.

Could never work out whether the comments in the past from the likes of Frazer Wright about Clelland were tongue in cheek, or whether there was more to it. Still, TW will have seen Clelland at close quarters in the last number of years and must be happy with him.

Wait until you see Maybury in action on the side of the pitch then - a refereeing friend of mine said he is the worst he's ever encountered for arguing and shouting at the officials! 

19 hours ago, mainstand said:

And what is your take on the full page article on the website from Callum?

Very good.

My comment was aimed primarily at the way the club is led, not managed.  Big difference. 

Wishing Callum all the best.  Cleland appointment is a satifactory one. Tommy trusts him, that counts for so much.

Onwards...COYS

7 hours ago, MrBored said:

He came out to our club last season and did the presentation night. Came over really well with all the parents and kids. Was really surprised how well he came over.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Clelland not a surprise & I suppose likewise Maybury as they are known to Tommy & I suppose the cheapest option for Stevie.

I was kinda hoping for a fresh input as the football over the past 2 seasons has been dire & I would think will be reflected in season ticket sales.

Cheap option you say! Aye? You privy to pay role?Why would you go fresh when Tommy obviously wanted and trusted Cleland.? Why would appointment of a No 2 effect season tickets,? Do you really believe people would say " Ah I see we have appointed ( insert name, )As assistant manager I must rush out and buy a season ticket. 

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/tommy-delighted-new-backroom-staff

“Alex was the obvious choice and was actually consider for the Assistant’s position back when I appointed Callum. In the interim period he’s done a great job, not just with the Under 20s but in helping Callum and I with first team preparation. He’s been very much part of the success we have achieved and so he’s earned and deserves this chance and I’m looking forward to working with him."

“Alan will have a similar but slightly changed role to the one just vacated by Alex. We’ll have Under 18 games this season and it also looks like we’ll be in the Reserve League and they will be the focus of Alan’s attention. However, as those commitments allow, he will help Alex and I with first team match preparation.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Is there a vacancy at Saints?

I think that's the key question.

Stoke have lost four, I think, not three. In the crazy world of football management that could easily be in sacking territory and if the manager goes, the assistants do too. But however sympathetic Tommy - and we - might feel, there isn't a vacancy here. He'll be fine, I'm sure - he was coaching the international team - but he's definitely in dangerous territory at the moment.

You're right. Two draws, two defeats.

But it's still not what Stoke would have expected when they dropped down a league. The fans are getting restless. They were booing from early on against Wigan. I don't like it, and I hope the management get time to create their own vision, but we all know the way modern football works. I hope it works out well for Callum, but I can't help but being fearful for him

You're right. Two draws, two defeats.

But it's still not what Stoke would have expected when they dropped down a league. The fans are getting restless. They were booing from early on against Wigan. I don't like it, and I hope the management get time to create their own vision, but we all know the way modern football works. I hope it works out well for Callum, but I can't help but being fearful for him