Berwick away

slf

Saints strolled the first half. Watt and Davie Mac looked like a decent partnership. 

Ali McCann has lots of potential. Drey Wright didn’t look overly promising, but early days. Kerr and Gordon look a strong defensive partnership.

Second half been relatively quiet. Saints defence and keeper not been tested.

10 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Saints strolled the first half. Watt and Davie Mac looked like a decent partnership. 

Ali McCann has lots of potential. Drey Wright didn’t look overly promising, but early days. Kerr and Gordon look a strong defensive partnership.

Second half been relatively quiet. Saints defence and keeper not been tested.

Tbf I though Wright looked good on Saturday against Aberdeen. He’s going to be a typical winger I suspect, some matches he’ll look unstoppable, others he’ll look like he can barely kick a ball. 

Good exercise in fitness, with the players monitored throughout the game. In terms of style, I think the proof will be in the pudding, I still thought we lacked a control without Millar or even Wotherspoon in the midfield. We raced ahead because we went at Berwick but once we had that lead, I thought we were more direct than I'd have liked and than the manager is suggesting.

Wary of taking too much out of it in terms of invididuals but:

Liam Gordon impressive again. Talks and organises, strong in the air and good on the ball. Hope he gets a chance early on.

Ali McCann isn't of an age where he'll dominate a game but I've liked what I've seen of him so far. Maturing physically as well. Not sure he's quite ready for a loan in an ideal world but you are already worrying about how much he will develop in this new reserve league.

I daren't mention the SM word after a friendly against a (poor) League Two team but Tony Watt looks to have that unpredictability about him. You aren't always sure how he emerges with the ball but he does. Linked up pretty well with David McMillan for a first appearance, could have had a hat-trick and played his role in the other two early goals.

For his part, McMillan again encouraged you. I think he will be fine with his back to goal and he played as a lone striker for Dundalk (seen some question his ability to do so) so all in, I think even allowing for the departure of MacLean, we look better off in the striking department than a year ago. Callum Hendry is part of that as well and looked lively. Assuming Hurst is up to standard, Hendry needs to get out on loan and play games.

Aaron Comrie and Drey Wright showed a willingness to try and former a partnership down the right. Hope there will be an end product with Wright, who will look to get beyond full backs. Comrie wasn't tested defensively, which is where my main concerns with him lie and neither was Mark Russell, who looked prone to maybe taking a touch too many in dangerous areas. Going forward he looked willing but very hard to make any sort of judgement on him or Dean Lyness.

Usual spate of subs from both teams in the second half (including a first look at Cammy Ballantyne at this level) but of most interest was maybe Kyle McClean. Came on in his usual role and again, didn't really stand out for me, but when McMillan went off he became more advanced and caused Berwick problems. He scored the fourth and could easily have had a hat-trick.

Again, only pre-season, and he missed out on Sunday presumably through injury, but Blair Alston didn't really take an opportunity to show he should be playing centrally. The manager might be thinking along those lines but does he have the composure or defensive tenacity to play a deep central role?

We can hopefully progress from our League Cup group whilst still learning a bit more about the squad over the next couple of weeks.

Had a Braw time.beer in the sun .a chip shop  in the ground.ta dan the Asda man for running a bus.

mr lark would have been pissed off we never seen any coppers with pointy helmets.but we did see a big choo Choo nearby.

as aitchey says saints strolled it .nice wee excercise for them .4-0 and afiver to get in.most Braw.