St Johnstone v East Fife Saturday 14 July 2018 League Cup Group Game 1

garydavidson

So, the first competitive game is only two days away.

New signing Tony Watt will be featuring in the game:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/686344/tony-watt-will-get-game-time-for-st-johnstone-in-betfred-cup-opener/

Admission Info:

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/admission-info-betfred-cup-opener

The match is a 3PM kick-off and season tickets are valid for this match.

Both the East and Main Stands will be open, and season ticket holders from the Ormond Stand are welcome to use either of these stands on Saturday.

Away fans will be accommodated in the north end of the Main Stand.

Admission prices for non-season ticket holders are as follows:

Adults £15

Over 65s £10

Juniors (13-18) £5

Accompanied children aged 12 and under - FREE

Wheelchair/ambulant £10 (price includes PA)

Car park bays are £5 each (season passes are valid) and we have a limited number of accessible bays for blue badge holders that can be pre-booked - please email beverley@perthsaints.co.uk to book.

The Muirton Bar will be open to both sets of fans from noon on Saturday and children are welcome.

Feel sorry for East Fife fans, tbh, I couldn't even bring myself to celebrate any penalty, utterly soul destroying stuff. 

90 minutes against a team two divisions below, with no attackers missing, and we didn't even force the keeper into a save. Wotherspoon had an absolute nightmare, regularly tripping over the ball, thankfully his playmaking duties were taken over by Liam Craig though, who turns into a left footed Paton in the middle. Scougall seems to get swallowed up by the game and exerts absolutely no influence at all. 

Full backs contributed absolutely nothing going forward, Tansers only positive is his crossing and it was vile, Foster was his usual "punt ball to nobody, scream at closest person" player. McMillan doesn't look impressive at all, second touch is always him stretching to recover from his poor first touch. 

A worrying game, have to hope it's just rustiness. 

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Feel sorry for East Fife fans, tbh, I couldn't even bring myself to celebrate any penalty, utterly soul destroying stuff. 

90 minutes against a team two divisions below, with no attackers missing, and we didn't even force the keeper into a save. Wotherspoon had an absolute nightmare, regularly tripping over the ball, thankfully his playmaking duties were taken over by Liam Craig though, who turns into a left footed Paton in the middle. Scougall seems to get swallowed up by the game and exerts absolutely no influence at all. 

Full backs contributed absolutely nothing going forward, Tansers only positive is his crossing and it was vile, Foster was his usual "punt ball to nobody, scream at closest person" player. McMillan doesn't look impressive at all, second touch is always him stretching to recover from his poor first touch. 

Pre season friendly stuff. Don’t think you can expect much more at this stage. 

Was really impressed with Drey Wright, Tony Watt looked like he will cause defences problems.  

The lack of pace on the left is glaring. Liam’s never had any and Tanser’s struggled to beat the first man all day. 

With 9 men behind the ball, they set up camp and came for the point. 

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

As much as saints were off the pace. You have to give east rise credit as they set their at all out to get a point and did just that. First 20 minutes they were throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

A competitive friendly about sums up these group stages. 

McMillan is not a lone striker.

Spoony controlled the midfield against Aberdeen & was back to his usual self today.

Gordon was a tower but Kerr worries me when he tries to dribble out of defence.

Wright was the only one with pass marks today. Think he can only get better.

Watt should get better.

Kane looks our best bet as striker.

Did their goalie have a save to make.

Corners are crap.Either straight into the wee goalies hands or over hit.

This was no pre-season friendly and I don’t think you can expect or accept the fact it appeared that way.Saints should have had more than enough to take care of East Fife in normal time wheather  it was the first or last competitive game of the season.

Watt should have had the first 45 minutes not the second.I feel had he been on in the opening spell when we were on top his direct strong running coupled with Wright’s good play we could have had something to show for our efforts.

McMillan did very little,Scougall even less,I don’t get Scougall,loads of hype on his arrival about his mazy runs, trickery; finding a pass and the likes but I have yet to be convinced.

Folk claim little threat down the left well thank God for Tanser’s willingness to make runs if not for him there would be none.Liam (one foot) Craig for me is now someone who should start games from the bench,there’s no doubting his commitment but he has to engineer the ball onto his left peg then spray an inaccurate pass to nobody.Spoony,brilliant or poor,no guesses which today he’s got get consistency  built in there.

East Fife undoubtedly had a plan and it struck me they were being more street wise and had they scored from that fist half header(was it a save or the wood work that stopped it)then I think we would have struggled to have gotten anything from the remainder of the game.

On the plus’s side the new kit didn’t look that bad in the flesh and at a distance.

Edited by Saline Saint