Montrose v St Johnstone Saturday 21 July 2018 League Cup Group Game 2

Radford 72

A first competitive visit to Links Park since February 1988 awaits Saints this weekend, which will undoubtedly mean a first visit there for a couple of generations of fans. An exciting prospect, whilst for other fans it will bring back memories of old.

The Gable Endies opened their campaign with an impressive win at Falkirk and if they beat East Fife on Tuesday, it'll put real pressure on Saints to get the three points against last season's League Two champions.

A plastic pitch so I wouldn't expect Steven Anderson to feature for Saints, maybe Murray Davidson too. Maybe a start for one of the young midfielders?

Last time I went to Montrose we won the Forfarshire Cup there - pretty sure Steve Maskrey played for us (towards the end of his Saints career) so that dates it a bit.

Not sure if I dreamt this or not but I have a memory that they'd knocked down their main stand (possibly to relocate it to the other side of the pitch?) but left the showers in tact, so there was a shower block in the middle of the terracing.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Last time I went to Montrose we won the Forfarshire Cup there - pretty sure Steve Maskrey played for us (towards the end of his Saints career) so that dates it a bit.

Not sure if I dreamt this or not but I have a memory that they'd knocked down their main stand (possibly to relocate it to the other side of the pitch?) but left the showers in tact, so there was a shower block in the middle of the terracing.

Saints beat Montrose away in the Forfarshire Cup Final on 11/05/93 by 4 goals to 1.

Scorers were Moore (1), Maskrey (2) , and Buglione.

Team Donegan, Scott, McAuley, Turner, Anderson, Dunne, Moore, Morgan, Kinnaird, Maskrey, Buglione. In front of a crowd of 473.

7 hours ago, south inch said:

Remember going to Montrose in the late 1950's.  Went by a special train.  Saints won 1 - 0 (Jimmy Walker) - I think!!

Indeed!  In the (old) Div.2 on 25/04/59 Walker scored the only goal of the game.

No attendance figure available.

Team= Taylor, McFadyen, Reid, Brown, Valentine, Ewen, D.Liddell, Walker, McInnes, Gillespie, Carr.

10 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Indeed!  In the (old) Div.2 on 25/04/59 Walker scored the only goal of the game.

No attendance figure available.

Team= Taylor, McFadyen, Reid, Brown, Valentine, Ewen, D.Liddell, Walker, McInnes, Gillespie, Carr.

I'm impressed.  Whatever the crowd was I bet it would have been bigger than the one which will turn up on Saturday.

30 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Saints beat Montrose away in the Forfarshire Cup Final on 11/05/93 by 4 goals to 1.

Team Donegan, Scott, McAuley, Turner, Anderson, Dunne, Moore, Morgan, Kinnaird, Maskrey, Buglione. In front of a crowd of 473.

On the subject of Martin Buglione, he has just been named in the England Veterans squad! Another player who has had to leave Saints to get international recognition! 

Martin Buglione im sure was from the south coast of England or possibly Isle of Wight and was signed on the back of scoring eighty odd goals for his non-league side in a season. 

Safe to say he didn't score that many for us.

11th May 1993.. Wouldn't that match have been played around the time we were relegated?

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Martin Buglione im sure was from the south coast of England or possibly Isle of Wight and was signed on the back of scoring eighty odd goals for his non-league side in a season. 

11th May 1993.. Wouldn't that match have been played around the time we were relegated?

Not sure Saints were relegated in 93..

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Not sure Saints were relegated in 93..

What year was it? I remember us being promoted in 1990 and I thought we were 3 seasons in the premier before going back down? 

Obviously not..

ETA- just checked it was 1994. Wasn't that the relegation when rangers played Mark Hately at centre back and lay down against Killie(?) in the final game?

Edited by PauloPerth

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

He was signed from Margate, and I think he returned to them shortly after leaving us and is still considered something of a club legend round that way. I'm sure I heard he was still involved with them in some way but can't find anything on that online.

His twitter account is sweeeeeet: https://twitter.com/martinbuglione

43 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Clark 

Kerr        Gordon      Ando

Foster  Muzz  McCann Tanser

Scougall 

Watt                     McMillan 

Swap Wright for Foster,and I’d agree 

On 16/07/2018 at 6:55 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

I have a memory that Tommy Turner was captain for this and at the end he got fed up waiting for someone to come and present the Forfarshire cup so ended up just taking it from the table at side of pitch himself.

Edited by Strawman

Massive game now, lose and we're out the League Cup at the earliest possible stage. 

"Just a competitive pre-season" game though, so hopefully we chuck a raft of youngsters in... 

Imagine a large support would help the team, so hopefully people travel to the game. Something a bit different and the game actually means something.