Montrose v St Johnstone Saturday 21 July 2018 League Cup Group Game 2

Radford 72

Odd game to judge. First half we never got going, but the first half hour our players were scythed down every time they dared run with the ball, Liam Craig getting a broken nose after being kicked whilst lying prone on the ground a fine example. Watt got his goal from one of the numerous dangerous crosses. 

Second half we ran over them. Wright and Foster causing havoc down the right and Alston and McMillan had some great interplay. McMillan could easily have had two, Wright missed a decent chance and Hendry did too. 

Not sure what happened at the end but we ended up too deep, and every clearance became a aimless thump, it gave Montrose plenty of the ball and they grew in confidence. Almost scored twice. 

Deserved the win, and felt like we could've upped it at any point, bit annoyed by the way we ended the match though. 

First half was very even and far too fast and direct,  it simply served to remind me of how much I hate watching senior football on AstroTurf.  If anyone, it was Montrose who tried to play it on the deck more.

Thought we were very good for the 30-35 minute period after half time, with Tanser and Foster getting forward more, Macmillan starting to link up, Alston getting involved in supporting the strikers (when he could stay on his feet) and Liam Craig getting hold of the ball in centre midfield. We created a lot of good chances and should have gone further ahead.

The last 10 minutes for whatever reason we were hanging on, and Mo hit the bar twice and were all over us as we kept hoofing it straight back to them.

Not a vintage performance,  but it was on a poor pitch up against a decent, hard working side. It's a win, a clean sheet and we created far more chances than last week. I'll be happy if we get through to the knockout stage showing steady improvement from game to game. 

Somebody in the pub after the game pointed out it's the first starting 11 we've had since 2014 without a single Scottish Cup winner on the park. Though I don't know if Paddy Cregg starting for Montrose cancels that out a bit!

Pitch didn't help and the challenges by the home side in the first half meant there was little in the way of flowing play - thought Liam did well to keep the heid after his whack early on.

2nd half was much better - Alston and Muzz pushing forward from the middle and Liam holding back meant there was more support for the strikers and the short passes began to tell - McMillan should have had at least one goal and Blair was unlucky to see his shot clip the post.

But then we sat back too deep and Montrose could easily have snatched a draw  - Foxys shot that clipped the bar was an absolute cracker.

Early days.. these games are not the best kind to be making judgement on.. the pitch for one.. they looked far more at ease.. we on the other hand spent half our time trying to control or keep the ball in.. the telling time will be when we hit league duties.

Let’s hope Hamilton & Dundee are worse than us!!

16 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

First half was very even and far too fast and direct,  it simply served to remind me of how much I hate watching senior football on AstroTurf.  If anyone, it was Montrose who tried to play it on the deck more.

Thought we were very good for the 30-35 minute period after half time, with Tanser and Foster getting forward more, Macmillan starting to link up, Alston getting involved in supporting the strikers (when he could stay on his feet) and Liam Craig getting hold of the ball in centre midfield. We created a lot of good chances and should have gone further ahead.

The last 10 minutes for whatever reason we were hanging on, and Mo hit the bar twice and were all over us as we kept hoofing it straight back to them.

Not a vintage performance,  but it was on a poor pitch up against a decent, hard working side. It's a win, a clean sheet and we created far more chances than last week. I'll be happy if we get through to the knockout stage showing steady improvement from game to game. 

Somebody in the pub after the game pointed out it's the first starting 11 we've had since 2014 without a single Scottish Cup winner on the park. Though I don't know if Paddy Cregg starting for Montrose cancels that out a bit!

Murray Davidson 

Poor from us yesterday but still positives to take from the game. Obvious from start that the midfield is our problem area. Muzz, Alston and Craig are a brutal combination and do not offer any creativity and left side of midfield was awful. Hopefully this will be addressed with Kennedy and a new central midfielder. Watt apart from goal was well off the pace, Macmillan improved when players gave him ball on deck rather than punting it up to him! Think he will do well for us. Wright needs to be given the ball in space and with pace. Yesterday he often received the ball when stationary and so had to make a standing start which is not his strength. Defensively we were ok. Could hear Gordon all day orchestrating the back four!

Strange kind of game.  We started slowly, although .as others have said Montrose were very physical in the first half and the ref seemed reluctant to use his yellow card for the first half hour.  We scored a decent goal and probably just about deserved the lead at half-time.  First 35 of the 2nd half we were much better and should have added at least 2 goals.  MacMillan looked much better in this period and the full backs supported much more than the first half.  Alston was unlucky to hit the post, Wright had a decent effort into the side netting, MacMillan's was a bad miss for me - keeper did well to spread himself but from 5 yards MacMillan has to score for  me.  Convinced he will get goals for us though.  Hendry was very unlucky with his header - there was no pace on the cross and he had to generate the power himself.  That said Miller made a terrific save.

The last 10 minutes were just downright annoying.  We lost our shape, sat far too deep and resorted to panic clearances.  If Montrose had equalised we could not have complained.  Defend like that against Premiership teams and we will be punished.

Montrose were better than I expected and I think will do okay in League 1.  Dillon and the other CB are good experienced heads at the back,  Cregg is still able to get the ball down and find a pass and their strikers are mobile and quick.  Miller is a good young keeper for that level.

Positives for me were Liam Gordon, Tanser in the 2nd half, Wright when he runs at defenders and MacMillan.  Only real negative was everything about the last 10 minutes.

Would like to have seen Hendry brought on when Watt went off to see him play with a partner - the poor guy spent the last 10 minutes trying to chase his own flick-ons!