St Johnstone v Falkirk Tuesday 24 July 2018 League Cup Group Game 3

Radford 72

Comfortable. Good worked goal. Might have had another 1 but never threatened much more. Bit of a walk in the park second half with little action at both ends.  A win is a win. Thats us through to the next round.  

Positive all round performance, hopefully no real injury worries after being fouled and kicked about. How there were no bookings is a head scratcher, just seems the ref was playing the 'friendly' rules.

Some very good performances from a few of our lads in a match where Falkirk were pretty blunt and lacking any real quality.

Liam Gordon continues to impress and Ando was rock solid until about the 70 minute mark when he started to lose a little concentration. Foster had a good game at full-back (great through ball for the goal), Wright looked good on the wing and Watt showed glimpses off quality.

We didn't create an awful lot, and very little will come from the left any time Liam plays there. He gives 100%, but we never look anywhere near a threat with him on that side.

Pretty vital we get another central midfield option in a similar mould to a Morris/Millar type. I just don't think we can rely on Spoony to play that role with any sort of consistency.

Good win- hopeful with a bit more time playing together we start to look more threatening going forward.

2 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Some very good performances from a few of our lads in a match where Falkirk were pretty blunt and lacking any real quality.

Liam Gordon continues to impress and Ando was rock solid until about the 70 minute mark when he started to lose a little concentration. Foster had a good game at full-back (great through ball for the goal), Wright looked good on the wing and Watt showed glimpses off quality.

We didn't create an awful lot, and very little will come from the left any time Liam plays there. He gives 100%, but we never look anywhere near a threat with him on that side.

Pretty vital we get another central midfield option in a similar mould to a Morris/Millar type. I just don't think we can rely on Spoony to play that role with any sort of consistency.

Good win- hopeful with a bit more time playing together we start to look more threatening going forward.

Have agree. Craig & Wotherspoon are both decent players but I think with a decent left winger & a decent midfielder we could do well this season.

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Comfortable. Good worked goal. Might have had another 1 but never threatened much more. Bit of a walk in the park second half with little action at both ends.  A win is a win. Thats us through to the next round.  

Positive all round performance, hopefully no real injury worries after being fouled and kicked about. How there were no bookings is a head scratcher, just seems the ref was playing the 'friendly' rules.

Not sure we are through to next round yet.

Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but a win is a win.

Some real positives from the team tonight. Liam Gordon was the stand out in defence and offers a good option to play it out from the back. Foster was very good going forward.

Scougall was excellent and once the team gels a bit more he will be an important player this season as some of his through balls and passes forward to Watt were not farm from coming off.

Drey Wright and Scott Tanser both had good games. I liked the look of McClean when he came on vert neat and tidy on the ball, would like to see him get a longer run out to see how can impose himself on the game.

Just the CM position to sort now and hopefully TW has seen enough of Wotherspoon, Alston and Craig to know that the holding midfielder position is not for them. 

Thought the first half we played some really good stuff, maybe lacking an edge in the final third up until the goal. It was the most passing style of football I've seen Saints play in a while. I don't know if there was a single long hoofed ball to the striker, though second half we did play it longer a few times.

Zander commanded área well, though rarely tested.

Thought Watt was a bit isolated first half and not effective enough, but second half he played really well. Scougall showed some great quality moments. Centre backs were very good; defensively and in possession. Full backs used the ball really well, with Foster having some excellent passes, not just the assist.

Murray had his best game of the three so far, Drey Wright continues to impress. Spoony was Spoony with some great passing and work mixed in with some very careless passes.

Agree Kyle Maclean had some really good touches when he came on.

I'm not sure if Liam Craig is told to not push on too much and to sit in and provide cover for Tanser, but the more I see him the more I see him as a central midfielder. He doesn't seem to provide an attacking threat going forward down the left side, though he still is a good passer when he has the ball at his feet.  At the minute I think he's the closest thing we've got to the 'Millar style' sitting midfielder who commands the centre midfield area and gets everyone involved with simple passes, Ashe did when he got moved there at Montrose.

It does look to me like we have a lot of competition in midfield, though without that one style of holding player mentioned, and I'm still not sure what our best midfield line up is... think it could be a lot of changing game to game with horses for courses.

Hope Tommy is prepared to go for it at times with two attack minded wide players in Kennedy and Wright, hopefully this Saturday, as it could make for an exciting watch.

We haven't  the set the heather alight, but shown steady improvement over the three games, which is fine. We are definitely trying to play a far more passing style, though whether this remains when we go to the haremscarem stuff in the league, we will have to wait and see.  Solid at the back, but not scoring too many goals.. hopefully that's just a case of players still gelling together and will start to pick up.

38 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Twitter feed! LAUGH OUT LOUD

Aye, but when you're stuck in the arse end of Yorkshire that's all there is to go on.

Sounds like a positive performance. Excellent. This was the game I thought we'd struggle most with. Bring on the next round.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Thought the first half we played some really good stuff, maybe lacking an edge in the final third up until the goal. It was the most passing style of football I've seen Saints play in a while. I don't know if there was a single long hoofed ball to the striker, though second half we did play it longer a few times.

Zander commanded área well, though rarely tested.

Thought Watt was a bit isolated first half and not effective enough, but second half he played really well. Scougall showed some great quality moments. Centre backs were very good; defensively and in possession. Full backs used the ball really well, with Foster having some excellent passes, not just the assist.

Murray had his best game of the three so far, Drey Wright continues to impress. Spoony was Spoony with some great passing and work mixed in with some very careless passes.

Agree Kyle Maclean had some really good touches when he came on.

I'm not sure if Liam Craig is told to not push on too much and to sit in and provide cover for Tanser, but the more I see him the more I see him as a central midfielder. He doesn't seem to provide an attacking threat going forward down the left side, though he still is a good passer when he has the ball at his feet.  At the minute I think he's the closest thing we've got to the 'Millar style' sitting midfielder who commands the centre midfield area and gets everyone involved with simple passes, Ashe did when he got moved there at Montrose.

It does look to me like we have a lot of competition in midfield, though without that one style of holding player mentioned, and I'm still not sure what our best midfield line up is... think it could be a lot of changing game to game with horses for courses.

Hope Tommy is prepared to go for it at times with two attack minded wide players in Kennedy and Wright, hopefully this Saturday, as it could make for an exciting watch.

We haven't  the set the heather alight, but shown steady improvement over the three games, which is fine. We are definitely trying to play a far more passing style, though whether this remains when we go to the haremscarem stuff in the league, we will have to wait and see.  Solid at the back, but not scoring too many goals.. hopefully that's just a case of players still gelling together and will start to pick up.

Good Report Paulo,

I'm not back at games yet but nice to read a decent assessment where we are.