Forfar Athletic v St Johnstone Saturday 28 July 2018 League Cup Group Game 4

Radford 72

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

I think we will be seeded if Hearts win or draw tomorrow.

Main thing is we are in draw tomorrow afternoon.

Yup. 

If Inverness win it'll be us and Livingston for the final spot. We both have 11 points, both have the same goal difference (+4), both scored five goals. 

It would move to away goals scored, we have four, Livingston have two. 

We'll be seeded regardless. 

Good performance by Saints today. 

Saints more possession in the first half, but not much in the way of chances. Forfar were very competitive and knocked it about and it was a good move for their opener.

Good cross from Tanser for Watt's headed equaliser. Second half we bossed it, played it mostly in Forfar's half and should have scored at least a couple more but wasted chances, or were foiled by their keeper.

The young lads at centre back were mostly very good and a solid performance after a couple of wee scares in the first half and for the goal.

Our full backs are playing well. Foster is in great form, and Tanser put in the cross for the equaliser and was a constant threat down the left after HT. 

The wide players Drey Wright and Kennedy look the part, both full of running, love to beat a man and drive forward. Drey has been excellent in all 4 group matches, though he should have scored at least one today. Kennedy is very two footed, really comfortable on the ball, loves a stepover and scored a screamer.

Murray had another fine game, driving forward a lot, winning the ball in midfield and supporting play as we attack. Also probably should have had a goal when he hit the post. Spoony played well in the holding midfield role; spraying passes, closing down well.. much more assured and confident display, needs to keep that level up consistently.

Watt's a handful, was involved in a lot of the action, and Macmillan took his goal well.

Qualifying from group as a seed with the team improving from match to match, the team beginning to gel, and the new signings showing up well would have been the hope going into the groups, and I'd say it's job done on all of that.

I'd guess about 600 or so Saints fans through today.

Edited by PauloPerth
Typo

27 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like we will get.

Arbroath

Falkirk.  not sure if we can get them again.

Hearts/ICT

Dundee

Patrick

Airdrie

Q of South.

St Mirren.

just the 4 best runners up so

ICT

Dundee

QOTS

St Mirren

County

Well

Killie

Hearts

seeded are 

Saints

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Hibs

Dunfermline

Ayr

Livi

27 minutes ago, 541ntees said:

just the 4 best runners up so

ICT

Dundee

QOTS

St Mirren

County

Well

Killie

Hearts

seeded are 

Saints

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Hibs

Dunfermline

Ayr

Livi

Thanks for that.

I deleted my post as I realised it was a load of xxxx.

After the initial shock of going behind Saints got the measure of their opponents (and the plastic pitch- not in acreage :wink:) to stamp their authority on the game.

Struck the woodwork 3 or 4 times and the keeper pulled off a few fine saves.

Could have won 6-1 but was pleased with the overall show.

Tanser caught out with a ball inside leading to the Forfar goal, which was put away well.

Onwards and upwards.

Went for Gordon as my M-o-M., but there was several contenders.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Draw for next round on 18th August after Hearts game today.

Was it not the case in previous seasons that the draw was weeks after the group stages ?.

Think it's been straight after the final game since the groups came in. Definitely was straight after the Dundee derby one season. 

Also.. 

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Good performance by Saints today. 

Saints more possession in the first half, but not much in the way of chances. Forfar were very competitive and knocked it about and it was a good move for their opener.

Good cross from Tanser for Watt's headed equaliser. Second half we bossed it, played it mostly in Forfar's half and should have scored at least a couple more but wasted chances, or were foiled by their keeper.

The young lads at centre back were mostly very good and a solid performance after a couple of wee scares in the first half and for the goal.

Our full backs are playing well. Foster is in great form, and Tanser put in the cross for the equaliser and was a constant threat down the left after HT. 

The wide players Drey Wright and Kennedy look the part, both full of running, love to beat a man and drive forward. Drey has been excellent in all 4 group matches, though he should have scored at least one today. Kennedy is very two footed, really comfortable on the ball, loves a stepover and scored a screamer.

Murray had another fine game, driving forward a lot, winning the ball in midfield and supporting play as we attack. Also probably should have had a goal when he hit the post. Spoony played well in the holding midfield role; spraying passes, closing down well.. much more assured and confident display, needs to keep that level up consistently.

Watt's a handful, was involved in a lot of the action, and Macmillan took his goal well.

Qualifying from group as a seed with the team improving from match to match, the team beginning to gel, and the new signings showing up well would have been the hope going into the groups, and I'd say it's job done on all of that.

I'd guess about 600 or so Saints fans through today.

Hoodlum will have to up his game now. 

Good performance yesterday.  Can't add much to what's already been said to be honest.  We look as if we will play more of a passing game this season, so the signing of (the right) centre mid will have a big bearing on how we do in the league.

Lots of positives to take from the group games - the main ones being the performances of the new guys, Liam Gordon and Scott Tanser for me.

Would like us to have been more clinical, but if that comes in the league even better.

We could have a decent season if we avoid the injuries and the infuriating concession of early goals of last season.

5 minutes ago, jhq said:

Good performance yesterday.  Can't add much to what's already been said to be honest.  We look as if we will play more of a passing game this season, so the signing of (the right) centre mid will have a big bearing on how we do in the league.

Lots of positives to take from the group games - the main ones being the performances of the new guys, Liam Gordon and Scott Tanser for me.

Would like us to have been more clinical, but if that comes in the league even better.

We could have a decent season if we avoid the injuries and the infuriating concession of early goals of last season.

Agree re' Gordon & Tanser. Both should be first picks.

Tanser is better attacking than defending which might be better suited to wingback.

I would also like to see us trying Tanser on set pieces & corners as Craig & Spoony are poor & we never look like scoring from them.

41 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Still waiting on a answer to my question on the montrose thread, if you dont know i will tell you know your a lot aulder than me, so will make allowances:laugh:

I'm letting you wait as it's going in Dan's quiz night. Now don't pester me again.:laugh: