St Johnstone v Hibernian Sunday 12 August 2018 Premiership

Radford 72

First home game of the season, always an exciting day, especially with the impressive and extensive build-up that Saints have been giving it on their media channels...

Team news: Shaughnessy could come straight back, Foster returns from his suspension but Kane, Hendry, Mark Hurst and Easton are all out. Sounds like Easton is coming along though.

Saints need to pass the ball better than at Kilmarnock. The way our squad is, simply opting for route one isn't going to be an option this season. The manager has put a trust in the players that they can play football so they need to reward that faith.

Hibs obviously looking pretty impressive these days but John McGinn was their main man and maybe his loss with unsettle them. I think this game could give us a decent indicator, even this early on, of the type of season we are going to have. We need to at least compete with them, whatever the result.

Really don't want to see Jason Kerr in midfield. Wotherspoon and Craig are experienced players, it's up to them to step up as, like others have said, the rest of the team looks something to be positive about.

Games like Sunday are the ones where the manager earns his money; there are several possibilities with both the shape and the personnel and he's got to get it right. He got it wrong last weekend and it doesn't matter who you are, you can't go on a run of doing so.

LINEUP111533896925312.thumb.png.2a0e8b4519fc020b4677fc1748c43688.png

For me. Think Gordon and Kerr are our most mobile CHs, so want them in there against whatll probably be McLaren and Shaw. Just an opinion though, happy enough with any of the four. 

Craig in CM. Can't afford Wotherspoon to be passing to their midfielders twenty yards from goal, and no idea how Kerr would do there, one of those which would be better in theory, I think. 

Hibs play a back three, two up front. They play a back four shove Scougall behind Watt. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

For me. Think Gordon and Kerr are our most mobile CHs, so want them in there against whatll probably be McLaren and Shaw. Just an opinion though, happy enough with any of the four. 

Craig in CM. Can't afford Wotherspoon to be passing to their midfielders twenty yards from goal, and no idea how Kerr would do there, one of those which would be better in theory, I think. 

Hibs play a back three, two up front. They play a back four shove Scougall behind Watt. 

Paulo's better as he has the numbers ut I prefer your team.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

That would be my lineup as well. 

10 hours ago, 541ntees said:

lineup.png

think Andos Experience against hibs young fwds could be invaluable as much as i rate Kerr

I'm changing my opinion and think this will be the team as well. I'd be happy with it, looks decent.

Scougall, Kennedy and Wright like to get forward, so hopefully Watt wouldn't be isolated like last week.  My worry if we went with Macmillan and Watt up front is that we wouldn't be able to get any decent service to them, and ended up lumping long balls up to them all game.

Need to change from last year's strips though.. does the app not have a tartan panel option??

Apparently three hanged to them from last week, according to perthsaint1977 on P&B. 

Big test for TW as Hibs can line up in three different formations and be comfortable in them all, not sure how he prepares for that with the starting line up. You'd suggest a five man midfield gives you the best scope for changing things without exposing yourself early. 

Hibs played a weakened team against Motherwell, and are inbetween European ties again, so will likely do the same. They'll probably start an ageing Whittaker at right back with new signings Hyndman, Horgan and Agyepyong all coming in if available. Hyndman and Horgan are absolute quality so hopefully they're a yard short with not having any match practice this season. 

We need to score first, and you'd hope TW is aware of that. Hibs will start on fire and we're prone to being sluggish at home. 

16 minutes ago, akuram said:

Why are very few fans using WAP now. 14 posts on this game is very poor.

True, but this is the first time I've looked in ages and the quality of the discussion is 100x better than when there were 10x the amount of replies. 

Far too much reasonable thought and football knowledge!!

Both McDiarmid Park games finished 1-1 between the sides last season, so would be a reasonable punt, though Hibs should be firm favourites.

Im going for 3-1 Saints, for no reason other than I still have that early season blind optimism, and I'm completely blotting out the killie game and most of last seasons home matches! 

I'm banking on Hibs being sluggish after Europe, having to make too many changes, still adapting to life without McGinn, and being intimidated by the McDiarmid Park cauldron of noise, as well as Saints players being fired up to do better after a poor showing at Kilmarnock.

The noise bit might not be completely true.

Watt 2 and Kennedy the scorers.