St Johnstone v Hibernian Sunday 12 August 2018 Premiership

Radford 72

I was pleasantly surprised by how the game went.

Thought Foster had a cracking game, as did Wright in front of him. Watt played well, he had alot of work to do at times being on his own.

Craig did well in the first half. Hibs started to dictate play a little more in the second half and the fact we desperately need the new central midfielder became a little obvious again.

Thought Tanser gave Boyle far too much space at times- just before his cross for the goal I commented that it could punish us if Tanser didn't start to get tighter and block crosses.

Was a little bit disappointed by Tommy's subs. He seemed happy to accept the point, when I thought the game was crying out for Scougalls energy in place of Alston.

A good point and good to get off the board.

Wright and Kennedy finally giving us the spark up top we've been lacking. But I canny help but to think how good we'd be if Tommy had kept Midge, and played McMillan and Scougall. As the two marquee signings of last season, not giving them a start, let alone a game, is criminal.

One up top doesny work. Need tae get McMillan pairing with Watt up top, get Scougal in behind at CAM and get Kennedy and Wright bombing up the flanks. If we're just gonnae do the same old punt up the park, then at least have three players to pick out rather than the one.

Overall, decent performance, but seriously lacking in the middle of the park as others have highlighted.

Could have got the 3 points with the break of the ball. Alston had 2 or 3 goal bound shots saved. Muzz may have done better with a couple of headers & we had a claim for pen but I couldn't tell so let Willie off with that one.

Do refs make up their mind to give one team the decisions in one half & other team in the other half ?.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Good open game, enjoyed it. 

Hibs good in possession, and have a lot of tidy midfield attacking players with good movement. Thought Hibs had a few good chances in first half but great goalkeeping, and a brilliant block by Foster kept them out.

Drey Wright was ripping the Hibs left a new one everytime he went at them, him and Foster look a really good partnership down the right. 

Kennedy is a very good player, but needs to sharpen up his decision making. Sometimes keeps the ball far too long, same last week, and Tanser/ others don't know where to make the run as he doesn't play the early pass.

Defence looked good, Kerr and Ando looked very solid, as were the full backs.  Murray doing a great job as usual.

The best thing about the game compared to last week was the fight and aggression.

Hibs had a lot of the ball in our half, but we seemed content to sit in and let them have it, and they didn't get in behind us too much in the second half. Cracking ball in from Boyle for the equaliser, Ando had been pulled wide and was trying to get back in, not sure if Kerr had come across to cover, but it seemed a nightmare for Kerr and Foster to deal with.

Ambrose is quality, though he should have been penalised for a foul on Kennedy late on.  Also looked a stonewall penalty when he blocked a header with his arm in the second half, have to see that one again.

Kennedy was without a club so will still be a bit behind the others in terms of sharpness. That should come with games. 

I can only echo many of the posts already.  There was plenty to be positive with from that performance.  There was an appetite from the players - hunger, fight and desire.  in the first half, Wright and Watt were connecting really well. 

Liam Craig did a great job in the holding role and Foster had his best performance for months.

I think we will get a lot of joy with Wright and Watt this season.

To work on I would suggest is Zander's command of the box, but for appetite and a desire to play to the last second it was great to witness.

Well played Saints.

That was a excellent game of football, credit to both teams playing pretty open football.  That easily surpasses any home game entertainment from last season.   Team played well, comfortable with the ball, intelligent passing, Hibs goal was lucky and didnt do anything after that.  We looked dangerous going forward, all the players stepped up.  They have set the benchmark, we now expect this all season !  

Edited by Dave H

I liked how we tried the play the ball about today. Direct when we needed to be, but trying to bevsttractive too. Bodes well. Thought everyone played well today, although Zander wasn't at his best. Wright in particular did well, especially in the first half and between him and Kennedy, we will have teams on the rack a lot this season.

Seemed to be issues with traffic around the ground. Presumably the new gates will be open once the road is complete? 

3 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Thought Foster had a cracking game, as did Wright in front of him. Watt played well, he had alot of work to do at times being on his own.

Craig did well in the first half. Hibs started to dictate play a little more in the second half and the fact we desperately need the new central midfielder became a little obvious again.

Thought Tanser gave Boyle far too much space at times- just before his cross for the goal I commented that it could punish us if Tanser didn't start to get tighter and block crosses.

Was a little bit disappointed by Tommy's subs. He seemed happy to accept the point, when I thought the game was crying out for Scougalls energy in place of Alston.

Started reading your post, then thought, no point in me adding anything further.

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Agree with all of that.

Should have subbed Wright & Kennedy earlier. Spoony was stripped & ready come on but was kept in dugout for over 5 mins.

Guys were out on their feet.

Craig captained the team well & gave everything & did a great job as holding midfield but we need a proper holding midfielder.

7 hours ago, Wee Mental Davie said:

Wright and Kennedy finally giving us the spark up top we've been lacking. But I canny help but to think how good we'd be if Tommy had kept Midge, and played McMillan and Scougall. As the two marquee signings of last season, not giving them a start, let alone a game, is criminal.

One up top doesny work. Need tae get McMillan pairing with Watt up top, get Scougal in behind at CAM and get Kennedy and Wright bombing up the flanks. If we're just gonnae do the same old punt up the park, then at least have three players to pick out rather than the one.

Overall, decent performance, but seriously lacking in the middle of the park as others have highlighted.

That s asking a lot of Muzz

Good game of football, and a draw a good  result

On this show we have a decent team, and if we can get a decent central midfielder that will take the ball, break up the game and let the rest play we could be in for a good season.

Even if we had been beaten, I think we probably saw enough in this team to hopefully have a good season.

Quite annoyed and surprised to hear ex-Hibby Michael Stewart saying on Sportscene that Hibs were "a considerable distance ahead of Saints" in that match.Mind you after applauding a couple of Laidlaw saves and Ambroses block on the line ..Saints were only credited with one shot on target

7 minutes ago, Kilgour said:

Quite annoyed and surprised to hear ex-Hibby Michael Stewart saying on Sportscene that Hibs were "a considerable distance ahead of Saints" in that match.Mind you after applauding a couple of Laidlaw saves and Ambroses block on the line ..Saints were only credited with one shot on target

Indeed, their keeper is in the BBC team of the week so must have had some work to do!

1 hour ago, Kilgour said:

And he watched the whole game